Open Range

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I thought it was an excellent movie and daring risk for the studio. With thought provoking content and gradual build up of tension and climax it went against the grain of most action shoot 'em up John Woo etc. type flicks seen today. There aren't a lot of these types of movies being made anymore. I plan on adding it to my DVD collection.

przero

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2000
2 Thumbs up!! I liked it. Robert Duvall is a great cowboy. Gus in Lonesome Dove is a classic. A really enjoyable movie. Plus, I thought that Annette Benning was perfect for the part.

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
It was very good I thought.

"How long we been ridin' together?"

"About 10 years."

"You know what they call that don't ya? They call it a decade."

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
I thought it was an excellent movie and daring risk for the studio. With thought provoking content and gradual build up of tension and climax it went against the grain of most action shoot 'em up John Woo etc. type flicks seen today. There aren't a lot of these types of movies being made anymore. I plan on adding it to my DVD collection.
Just watched it tonight. Great film IMO. I'll definitely be adding it to my collection ASAP too (rented it at first because I wasn't sure if I'd like it.)

And I agree it was a pretty big risk given the nature of today's films. It's definitely more of a throwback western in the general terms of pacing, plot and themes which is VERY refreshing IMO, but might not be as welcome in today's climate that seems to demand more action and crave bizarre/unique twists. But it also uses some of the best traits of revisionist westerns well too (deeper character development, vulnerable and sometimes dark lead characters, realism and consequences for violence.) I agree, the ending was a bit long, but given how much enjoyment I'd gotten out of it up until that point I didn't really mind.