Open question to P&N: should partisan personal attacks in thread titles be allowed?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It should be a rule that we discuss the topics and not each other. That would aptly attend to personal attacks.

The Discussion Club issue is the more serious tone and nature of the discussion. P&N allows for quick quips and thoughtless input. It takes no time out of our hour to come in here and comment. A real discussion in the club, however, might require a serious investment.

I think the preference of P&N comes down to internet usage trends and behaviors. We have plenty of time to spout rubbish, we've no time to sit down and actually discuss anything.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
h0435ED67

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Personal attacks don't help make somebody's line of reasoning appear well thought out. It distracts from the point they are trying to make.

The insult in that situation is to show person A that their line of thinking isn't worth discussing because they can't comprehend what is being said to them and they aren't worth wasting any more time on.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Typical bleeding heart gimme gimme modern progressive mindset. One post above this is full of "consevetards" and other vitrol, but god forbid someone drops a "libtard". Then you're out for blood.

Personally I think a better solution is to open up a kid's-only forum for 21 and under. That would eliminate 75% of the racist modern progressives in P&N right there.

Typical moron who is incapable of reading comprehension. Here's a hint: one post called out one group for name calling while name calling while the other didn't.

Maybe you should cry some more about progressives crying.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
That's because incorruptible hasn't been posting. Anytime he is "gone" from the forum the quality always goes up.

Sadly others seem to be trying to fill his place.

Incorruptible never caused the heated fights like others have, and certain topics have.

I think the economy has just dragged everyone down for so long the other bleeding-heart concerns out there are not on anyone's mind anymore, or they were forced due to their own personal situation, to focus back on productive things than spend time arguing on internet forums.

For example, we haven't had an Israel vs. Palestine thread in a long time, nor a 9/11 conspiracy thread, or 10 reasons why we need Hugo Chavez as President of the U.S.

This forum has been very civil. Comparatively.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Incorruptible never caused the heated fights like others have, and certain topics have.

I think the economy has just dragged everyone down for so long the other bleeding-heart concerns out there are not on anyone's mind anymore, or they were forced due to their own personal situation, to focus back on productive things than spend time arguing on internet forums.

For example, we haven't had an Israel vs. Palestine thread in a long time, nor a 9/11 conspiracy thread.

No but his posts derail the topic or are so lacking in facts or common sense that he lowers the bar for a quality discussion.

What incorruptible does at the post level Michael does at the thread level.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001

For example, we haven't had an Israel vs. Palestine thread in a long time, nor a 9/11 conspiracy thread, or 10 reasons why we need Hugo Chavez as President of the U.S.

This forum has been very civil. Comparatively.

The 9/11 conspiracy nutters are still around, they just know better than to start a thread on it. The conspiracy threads that I remember were usually posted by one or two posters that ended up being banned for constantly posting them and usually being extremely anti-Semitic in them.
And well, cancer caught up to Hugo Chavez, kinda hard to rule a country when dead.
Maybe we can have a zombie Chavez vs zombie Reagan thread! ;)

Apr 27, 2012
Fine with me. It keeps the libtards at bay, who resort to name calling and pulling the race card, just because someone doesn't agree with Obama's policies.

Liberals love the partisan personal attacks since it's all they have and can't debate.

That's because incorruptible hasn't been posting. Anytime he is "gone" from the forum the quality always goes up.

Sadly others seem to be trying to fill his place.

I wasn't feeling well and I was gone you moron. I am not the one who supports obama the man who has killed innocent children in Pakistan with drones.

Posters should just realize that only personal attacks on Republicans, Libertarians and conservatives are allowed, and stop all this free speech nonsense that actually includes criticism of the left.

Too often the left claims to support free speech but only if you agree with them. They are just hypocrites and idiots.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Too often the left claims to support free speech but only if you agree with them. They are just hypocrites and idiots.

Oh please, Incorruptible.

This message was typed by the fingers of a person who believes everyone has a right to their personal liberties...unless they're Muslim.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I guess thread titles should be kept clean, since it looks more professional and orderly, better, and promotes less bullshit content in the thread, etc., but it's not like there's much of an integrity to protect here.

Personal attacks are unimportant, childish and easily ignored, and there's usually still some substance to be found somewhere hidden among all the bullshit, at least speaking of posts generally, though admittedly probably not in the case of stupid thread titles. Still, censorship is worse than poor thread titles.

They're a bit shit but so what? DS is worse for its censorship. It's polite bullshit instead of just bullshit, which is boringer.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I don't care what the reason was, the outcome was the same;)

I hope you get better! It's a good thing you are in Canada where they have socialized health care, to help take care of you!

I'm sure you feel it's good enough for you but not good enough for Americans.

Liberals love the partisan personal attacks since it's all they have and can't debate.

I wasn't feeling well and I was gone you moron. I am not the one who supports obama the man who has killed innocent children in Pakistan with drones.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is this thread referring to the recent thread that was titled something about those "Tea Party f****s" until it was edited?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That thread was made well after this one.

I'm not even sure what this is really about. People have been calling politicians names since we've been able to write. Usually it's fine until someone's tin pot god is insulted then righteous indignation sets in. Who knows though?

Nov 30, 2006
Is that what this thread is really about...that the OP is butthurt someone had the audacity to disparage Obama in a thread title? Wow.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Is that what this thread is really about...that the OP is butthurt someone had the audacity to disparage Obama in a thread title? Wow.
I'm sure the OP was just looking to make the forum a little more constructive. He just wasn't aware that nobody here wants that. Whether or not the thread starts right off with a personal attack right in the title, every thread here will have personal attacks lobbed by reply 10 at most.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I'm sure the OP was just looking to make the forum a little more constructive. He just wasn't aware that nobody here wants that. Whether or not the thread starts right off with a personal attack right in the title, every thread here will have personal attacks lobbed by reply 10 at most.

Personal attacks on politicians? Have at. Members, no.

"Obama is an ass". Obama is a public figure with significant power over others.

"Dank69 is an ass". Hmm... :D Seriously, that's another issue entirely. That's creating a thread with the express purpose of attacking a member and that has not been allowed. You or I don't matter in the least in the scheme of things. The powerful is something else entirely and being peons at least let us grumble.

Apr 27, 2012
Oh please, Incorruptible.

This message was typed by the fingers of a person who believes everyone has a right to their personal liberties...unless they're Muslim.

STFU troll. You have zero evidence of that and I never said that. You want to say that to my face?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Personal attacks on politicians? Have at. Members, no.

"Obama is an ass". Obama is a public figure with significant power over others.

"Dank69 is an ass". Hmm... :D Seriously, that's another issue entirely. That's creating a thread with the express purpose of attacking a member and that has not been allowed. You or I don't matter in the least in the scheme of things. The powerful is something else entirely and being peons at least let us grumble.
Obviously callout threads are not allowed. To be clear, I have no problem with insults it posts or titles. Don't pretend you aren't sure if I am an ass or not. Definitely an ass, but I'm also right most of the time.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Obviously callout threads are not allowed. To be clear, I have no problem with insults it posts or titles. Don't pretend you aren't sure if I am an ass or not. Definitely an ass, but I'm also right most of the time.

I'm also right most of the time which is why we are asses. :p

I suppose I don't know what he's really on about. Are we supposed to be "respectful" of our leaders when creating thread titles? Personally I think very little of our leaders but I don't say "President XXXX should be impeached/jailed/punched in the nose" because that's just stupid, but it's a personal choice to do just that at least IMO.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm also right most of the time which is why we are asses. :p

I suppose I don't know what he's really on about. Are we supposed to be "respectful" of our leaders when creating thread titles? Personally I think very little of our leaders but I don't say "President XXXX should be impeached/jailed/punched in the nose" because that's just stupid, but it's a personal choice to do just that at least IMO.
Every few months this subject is brought up. I think he already acknowledged that it doesn't seem to be what our delightful little community desires. Fuckface. :wub: