OPEN Box GTX670 from Fry's

Jakeisbest

Feb 1, 2008
I was walking around my local Fry's this weekend and I spotted the MSI GTX670 with the open box 5% discount tag on it. I asked the employee if it was a return or why it was marked open box. He said they have no real way of knowing, but his best guess was that someone returned it.

I bought the card and went home happy.

Now I just want to make sure that the person who purchased it before me didn't burn the card trying to Overclock it, or do some other stupid thing to it.

Are there any tests that I can run to check this card out and make sure it is okay?

I plugged it in last night and was able to run Crysis with everything maxed out. The tape on the electrostatic bag it came in did not appear to have been previously opened. The plastic shroud on the card felt a little wiggly, but it didn't seem like it had been dropped or tampered with in any way, it just was not 100% rock solid.

TLDR: Bought an open box graphics card, how to I make sure it isn't broken in some way?

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
I don't think OCCT is the best indicator of stability. Especially since Kepler will throttle down when OCCT is running. A continuous 60 minute loop of heaven (with vertical sync off) is probably a better indicator to stability.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
To be honest, buying such a relatively pricy card the 5% don't really matter, respective i wouldn't risk getting a re-used/fail overclock card..then i'd rather pay the 5% extra. Just my $0.01. Knowing how many people might return "bad" cards for all kinds of reasons...i would be weary.

Jakeisbest

Feb 1, 2008
To be honest, buying such a relatively pricy card the 5% don't really matter, respective i wouldn't risk getting a re-used/fail overclock card..then i'd rather pay the 5% extra. Just my $0.01. Knowing how many people might return "bad" cards for all kinds of reasons...i would be weary.

It was also the only one in the store.

Any way I will just try running it hard through some benches and see if anything odd pops up. Like I said the tape on the electrostatic bag had not been broken so it may never haven been opened.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
It was also the only one in the store.

Any way I will just try running it hard through some benches and see if anything odd pops up. Like I said the tape on the electrostatic bag had not been broken so it may never haven been opened.

Worst case, you can just exchange it for another brand when they come back in stock...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Or he had an AGP system lol. Believe it or not there's people that still think they can plug in any video card and play the newest games. No idea how CPU, memory controllers and everything has changed.

Dbdynsty

May 14, 2012
Were you at the Frys in Oxnard, Ca? If yes it was my return. Nothing at all wrong with the card just didnt like the sound of the idle fan compared to my 7970 especially when the performance difference was negligible. It was kind of a spur of the moment purchase so that I could save a few bucks cuz i just bought the 7970 a few weeks ago but realized I just like amd/ati better right now.

So if that was the one you got...no worries. Didn't overlock at all and took care of it. :)