Open Box CPU at Micro Center

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Maybe, maybe not. The cheap x570 boards are 4-layer. Early chatter was that PCI-SIG set 6-layer PCBs as a minimum for the circuitry necessary to carry PCIe 4.0 signals (essentially, PCIe 3.0 can go over one layer while 4.0 can't, or something like that).
The ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus is 6 layers, and 12+2 VRM's for $189. Seems pretty decent for the price. Asus Motherboard

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, so after working all day to try and get an order number or email confirmation, I have finally tried to create a cancellation request. Once I saw that newegg had a NIB motherboard for the same price as I was going to pay at microcenter (plus shipping) I got a hold of customer support, and its supposed to be getting cancelled. Never again will I buy from micro center online. Newegg is SOOO much better. Amazon is even getting on my nerves. I ordered my 3900x last friday, and its not shipped yet ! But the case I ordered today from newegg (2 hours ago) is already shipped. Amazon says it will arrive in 3 to 4 days using normal shipping, but its not even shipped yet !

Feb 4, 2009
OK, so after working all day to try and get an order number or email confirmation, I have finally tried to create a cancellation request. Once I saw that newegg had a NIB motherboard for the same price as I was going to pay at microcenter (plus shipping) I got a hold of customer support, and its supposed to be getting cancelled. Never again will I buy from micro center online. Newegg is SOOO much better. Amazon is even getting on my nerves. I ordered my 3900x last friday, and its not shipped yet ! But the case I ordered today from newegg (2 hours ago) is already shipped. Amazon says it will arrive in 3 to 4 days using normal shipping, but its not even shipped yet !

Related

Fractal design define R6 at Amazon for $125ish with free prime shipping.

Sadly not in stock until 9/15

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Related

Fractal design define R6 at Amazon for $125ish with free prime shipping.

Sadly not in stock until 9/15
I must be getting old since I can't find it on amazon site. Is that TG or non-TG version, and is it USB-C or not?

Can you provide a link please?

EDIT: found it, https://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-FD-CA-DEF-R6C-BK-Computer-Define/dp/B07HPB7MB2

Damn Amazon site search function sucks. The only way I found it is by clicking random cases and then looking at "recommended" section below.

Feb 4, 2009
Thanks. I was looking for solid panel R6 USB-C. I was hoping to get it for cheaper, but I guess this will have to do :(

Yeah I’m okay with $125 but not super excited about it.
I will say the store dislay R6 at Microcenter was pretty good with noting the door feels unusually flimsy and only opens to 90 degrees. I don’t think I’ll be opening the door that much but be aware.

Reactions: happy medium

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Do you think this one is cheap 4 layer ? or 6 ?
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard

I just noticed that the open box price I paid at micro center = the regular price at newegg, and no shipping charge at newegg. Oh well, it does say I can return it.

Unknown. There's a list of this stuff on OCN but it has a lot of questionmarks next to the ASRock x570 boards. I'm going to guess "yes" though since ASrock brags about "2oz copper PCB" which is a dead giveaway that they went with fewer layers.

The ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus is 6 layers, and 12+2 VRM's for $189. Seems pretty decent for the price. Asus Motherboard

Not a bad deal actually.

ebolamonkey

Sep 7, 2006
Bought a open box msi x99s sli plus mobo from frys 3 1/2 years ago with “bent pins”, counted 3 for $15. Sent it for Rma ($15 shipping) and got a refurb in 2 weeks In a plain white carton, looked new.

Smart move, haha. OEM RMA or a third party shop?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Smart move, haha. OEM RMA or a third party shop?
MSI RMA of course.

That sounds completely different from the horror stories of users here who have been denied warranty from Asus and Gigabyte. I guess I haven't heard that much (good or bad) concerning MSI's RMA department.

Heck, many users said that if a person has even sneezed near one of their Asus or Gigabyte motherboards, they deny coverage because of "physical damage". :p

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That sounds completely different from the horror stories of users here who have been denied warranty from Asus and Gigabyte. I guess I haven't heard that much (good or bad) concerning MSI's RMA department.

Heck, many users said that if a person has even sneezed near one of their Asus or Gigabyte motherboards, they deny coverage because of "physical damage". :p
Gigabyte did that to me, they even hosed the motherboard themselves, and lied about doing it.\

Thats why I will never buy another gigablyte motherboat, no matter how good people say they might be,

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Gigabyte did that to me, they even hosed the motherboard themselves, and lied about doing it.\

Thats why I will never buy another gigablyte motherboat, no matter how good people say they might be,
Asrock has done that to me recently. I have 2 dead motherboards. And no compensation. Within warranty, stock clocks and a big "sucks to be you" attitude.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Asrock has done that to me recently. I have 2 dead motherboards. And no compensation. Within warranty, stock clocks and a big "sucks to be you" attitude.
And people wonder why I have an "NO RMA" policy with mfg's, generally. If someone buys a PC from me, and a part fails, I generally just replace it with an equivalent. Hence my purchasing of refurbed parts in the first place. New is over-rated, IMHO. (I disclose if I use refurb/open-box/otherwise non-new parts in my builds. I don't use refurb PSUs though.)

ebolamonkey

Sep 7, 2006

Guess we got one person that made it thru their process! Not bad. They probably threw it in the oven and cooked it a little.

Reactions: UsandThem
Nov 26, 2005
Well looks like the open box 3600X was sold.

Browsing around the MC site today they have a NIB 2920X TR on sale for $299, and they also have a sale on the 3600X for $229. Still undecided to be honest but I'm curious about the 3600 and how it's overclocked without being unlocked?

Maybe this indecision will retroactively be a good thing. I got the chance to run the Rivatuner over-lay display to check my gpu and cpu usage and it doesn't look like any game I play is pegged at >90% usage

Last edited: