Open Box CPU at Micro Center

Nov 26, 2005
Hi there. Browsing my local Micro Center web page and I see 2 3800X Ryzen CPUs listed as Open Box for around $340. Anyone know if what they are selling are pre-used returns or if they are unused open box items?

EDIT: I'm going to take a ride there tomorrow and find out first hand, or call, if nobody knows,

EDIT2: If they are unused I'll probably pick one up, and I think I'll just get a new Windows 10 64. What's the difference between Home, and Pro?

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
If you are using the same MB, it may be possible to downgrade from Win 7-64 to Win 10-64 for free. I downgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 for free earlier this year, so do a web search and you may save yourself a lot of money.

Feb 4, 2009
Hi there. Browsing my local Micro Center web page and I see 2 3800X Ryzen CPUs listed as Open Box for around $340. Anyone know if what they are selling are pre-used returns or if they are unused open box items?

EDIT: I'm going to take a ride there tomorrow and find out first hand, or call, if nobody knows,

EDIT2: If they are unused I'll probably pick one up, and I think I'll just get a new Windows 10 64. What's the difference between Home, and Pro?

Typically micro center discloses what is wrong (if something is wrong) I was browsing earlier looking at an open box X570 motherboard then I noticed “bent pin” and lost interest.
Regardless Microcenter accepts returns on open box stuff so I wouldn’t be too afraid.

I bought an open box 280x years ago, worked fine & still using it. Came in a white box with no goodies.

Get windows 10 pro has more networking stuff and some extra security stuff. Nothing huge but worth the few extra dollars.

Nov 26, 2005
Typically micro center discloses what is wrong (if something is wrong) I was browsing earlier looking at an open box X570 motherboard then I noticed “bent pin” and lost interest.
Regardless Microcenter accepts returns on open box stuff so I wouldn’t be too afraid.

I bought an open box 280x years ago, worked fine & still using it. Came in a white box with no goodies.

Get windows 10 pro has more networking stuff and some extra security stuff. Nothing huge but worth the few extra dollars.

Thanks. I'm going to be heading there tomorrow morning to see what's what, and if all is good I'll pick the one up that still has the manufactures warranty, and Windows Pro :D

Nov 26, 2005
Haha try to build a 100% open box system. That would be cool.

I've got the MB and the Ram kit so far but yeah I don't mind Open box, I've gone that route before and have been satisfied :)

I was kinda curious about the I/O performance differnce between the X570 mainstream and X499 HEDT and I recently read that the I/O of the PCH is the same chip as on the CPU but at 12nm or 14nm, one or the other so if what I'm assuming is correct there shouldn't be any difference to worry about.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I purchased a two open box AM4 CPUs from Microcenter. They've clearly been used, which is OK by me, I don't care. So long as all the pins are straight you should be fine.

Do check everything as thoroughly as you can before leaving the store though. I almost purchased a third Open Box CPU but it had a slightly bent pin which Microcenter folks missed. Obviously I didn't get that one. I also had to return an open box Motherboard because it had a bent pin that I missed while checking. That one was annoying as I had to drive back.

So basically so long as you're smart about it Open Box is fine. Just be sure to check everything at the store.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Frys used to be that way. I have not been there in years, since the deals went bad.
Bought a open box msi x99s sli plus mobo from frys 3 1/2 years ago with “bent pins”, counted 3 for $15. Sent it for Rma ($15 shipping) and got a refurb in 2 weeks In a plain white carton, looked new.

Nov 26, 2005
Looks like the 970 Pro 1TB is going for $239 That's a pretty good deal. I think I might just get that, and Windows. The CPUs are all returns; no display models - oof

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
- Only PRO version can be joined to domain (not relevant to 99% of home users)
- You cannot remote into Home version, only Pro allows that (again, not really important to 95% of home users)
- Home is missing advanced policy setting, Pro for example can be set up to disable automatic reboot on updates if any of the users are logged in, Home cannot. This I think is the most annoying difference to people who routinely leave computers with open documents overnight only to discover in the morning that home version automatically rebooted PC after applying updates.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would imagine there would be no difference. Is there anything that would indicate otherwise?

Maybe, maybe not. The cheap x570 boards are 4-layer. Early chatter was that PCI-SIG set 6-layer PCBs as a minimum for the circuitry necessary to carry PCIe 4.0 signals (essentially, PCIe 3.0 can go over one layer while 4.0 can't, or something like that).

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Maybe, maybe not. The cheap x570 boards are 4-layer. Early chatter was that PCI-SIG set 6-layer PCBs as a minimum for the circuitry necessary to carry PCIe 4.0 signals (essentially, PCIe 3.0 can go over one layer while 4.0 can't, or something like that).
Do you think this one is cheap 4 layer ? or 6 ?
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard

I just noticed that the open box price I paid at micro center = the regular price at newegg, and no shipping charge at newegg. Oh well, it does say I can return it.

Reactions: Drazick
Feb 4, 2009
Do you think this one is cheap 4 layer ? or 6 ?
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard

I just noticed that the open box price I paid at micro center = the regular price at newegg, and no shipping charge at newegg. Oh well, it does say I can return it.

You live near Cambridge?