Ontario ATOTers, need help with unlimited ISPs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
80gb cap is shocking...

My WiSP has a 20gb cap, and extra 20gb after that costs $25, as it is the only decent WISP in the area i'm paying around $90 a month for 40gb and an advertised speed of 5mb/1mb which in reality is more like .5mb down/1mb up during prime time hours....fml

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
TekSavvy cable is resold Rogers (in most places anyways). I've got it and it is unthrottled.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
My contract with Rogers is about up, and even with their 25% discount TekSavvy is cheaper.

My question: do you guys think 18 down/512 up or 14 down/1 up is better? I do log into work via remote desktop connect which is the reason I think the 1 up might be better, but I'm a tech noob and you guys know your stuff better.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My contract with Rogers is about up, and even with their 25% discount TekSavvy is cheaper.

My question: do you guys think 18 down/512 up or 14 down/1 up is better? I do log into work via remote desktop connect which is the reason I think the 1 up might be better, but I'm a tech noob and you guys know your stuff better.

acanac has 28/1

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
As does TekSavvy (though TekSavvy's is more expensive). Acanac also looks like it limits the speed during high usage time which is when I'd be working (7pm - 12am).

so does TekSavvy I think. Acanac is really reselling Distributel. AT least I think it's Distributel, could be some other company. Oddly enough Distributel doesn't offer 28/1.

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
So the WiSP guy came buy today. He said he can't install it because I have too many trees on my property, and he can't get a clear signal. I'm not about to cut them down to get internet so there goes that idea.

So I shot a letter to Teksavvy to see what they could do for me price wise, since they're considerably more expensive than all their competitors despite offering identical packages. They refused to budge on the price and wouldn't explain what additional value I'd get for signing up with them. Then went on to say they can't do better because in their words "we are charged a very large portion by our vendors to service you and cannot engulf fees each month in order to price match." As a customer, I don't care. I want the best value for my dollar and you're not offering it.

So looks like my choices are Distributel or Acanac. The latter of which throttles from 7pm to 12am, which is when I use it most. I'm not sure if Distributel does. I've heard a lot of negative things about both so I'm a bit at a loss of what to do. Cogeco is reliable but they're just too expensive and their data caps too restrictive.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So the WiSP guy came buy today. He said he can't install it because I have too many trees on my property, and he can't get a clear signal. I'm not about to cut them down to get internet so there goes that idea.

So I shot a letter to Teksavvy to see what they could do for me price wise, since they're considerably more expensive than all their competitors despite offering identical packages. They refused to budge on the price and wouldn't explain what additional value I'd get for signing up with them. Then went on to say they can't do better because in their words "we are charged a very large portion by our vendors to service you and cannot engulf fees each month in order to price match." As a customer, I don't care. I want the best value for my dollar and you're not offering it.

So looks like my choices are Distributel or Acanac. The latter of which throttles from 7pm to 12am, which is when I use it most. I'm not sure if Distributel does. I've heard a lot of negative things about both so I'm a bit at a loss of what to do. Cogeco is reliable but they're just too expensive and their data caps too restrictive.

As far as I can tell, acanac cable internet is distributel. Get the 28 cable so when they throttle, it is still 14

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Guess we're lucky to have NRTC here. We pay for 6mb but get 10 with no throttling and no cap.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

Check out the BBR reports on acanac. I looked into them and they had horrible customer service complaints.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Check out the BBR reports on acanac. I looked into them and they had horrible customer service complaints.

Their customer service sucks the bag. I haven't had to resort to customer service though.

Been with them oh, 7 or 8 years I think.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am still happy with my unlimited cable internet from Start Communications. 6mps boosted to nearly 15mps and no throttling either.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I am still happy with my unlimited cable internet from Start Communications. 6mps boosted to nearly 15mps and no throttling either.

They don't offer unlimited anymore according to their website. Teksavvy are still being huge dicks on their pricing still. I sent them an email this morning saying their offer wasn't good enough but they've yet to respond. So I guess they're done with me.

Anybody heard of these MySignal people. They're the same price as Teksavvy but they offer email and all that. Uses Bell's Fibe lines.
http://www.mysignal.ca/#!__residential-fiber

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They don't offer unlimited anymore according to their website. Teksavvy are still being huge dicks on their pricing still. I sent them an email this morning saying their offer wasn't good enough but they've yet to respond. So I guess they're done with me.

Anybody heard of these MySignal people. They're the same price as Teksavvy but they offer email and all that. Uses Bell's Fibe lines.
http://www.mysignal.ca/#!__residential-fiber

huh? Bell doesn't offer FTTP, why would a reseller be able to? And those speeds don't look like FTTP at all.

lulz VDSL and they call it fiber...

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
huh? Bell doesn't offer FTTP, why would a reseller be able to? And those speeds don't look like FTTP at all.

lulz VDSL and they call it fiber...

That's Bell for you. They've rebranded all their DSL packages as fiber, or "Fibe". Just means they've installed fibre lines to the junction boxes instead of copper. Same tech the cable company uses.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's Bell for you. They've rebranded all their DSL packages as fiber, or "Fibe". Just means they've installed fibre lines to the junction boxes instead of copper. Same tech the cable company uses.

I knew Fibe was FTTN, I didn't think a reseller would have the balls to call it fiber and "it works with your existing phone line"

On that alone I would not trust them.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I am still super happy with TekSavvy.... It's cheap and fast. No throttling or monkey business. No contracts, and no hidden fees.

This is the package I have: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable/cable-18

It has since been upgraded from 12 when I got it, to 18, and its only $39.95.

I have a friend with Distributel and he says it is horribly unreliable, where as mine is rock rock solid, zero issues. Actually the reason I did not consider Acanac or Distributel was because I have many friends with TS and they have all had good experiences. Good enough for me, I'm now one of them.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am still super happy with TekSavvy.... It's cheap and fast. No throttling or monkey business. No contracts, and no hidden fees.

This is the package I have: http://www.teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable/cable-18

It has since been upgraded from 12 when I got it, to 18, and its only $39.95.

I have a friend with Distributel and he says it is horribly unreliable, where as mine is rock rock solid, zero issues. Actually the reason I did not consider Acanac or Distributel was because I have many friends with TS and they have all had good experiences. Good enough for me, I'm now one of them.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Shrug.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Spoke with Teksavvy again and they're still being dicks. They've been getting a lot of negative reviews lately so it seems wise for me to steer clear of them. I don't think they liked me calling them out on their high prices. Some of their competitors offering packages in the same price range seem to offer better perks.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Spoke with Teksavvy again and they're still being dicks. They've been getting a lot of negative reviews lately so it seems wise for me to steer clear of them. I don't think they liked me calling them out on their high prices. Some of their competitors offering packages in the same price range seem to offer better perks.

If it works...
I wasn't willing to take the chance, I use my internet connection every day, 7 days per week.
I think 39.95 is a good price, maybe not the very lowest, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
If it works...
I wasn't willing to take the chance, I use my internet connection every day, 7 days per week.
I think 39.95 is a good price, maybe not the very lowest, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

They wanted over $60/mo for their 15mbps DSL. Which is way more than what the WiSP wanted, as well as most of their competition. That's for pretty bare bones service too. It's more their attitude I didn't like though.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
They wanted over $60/mo for their 15mbps DSL. Which is way more than what the WiSP wanted, as well as most of their competition. That's for pretty bare bones service too. It's more their attitude I didn't like though.

If you compare their prices with a place like Acanac, the price is only less if you sign a contract. Acanac's monthly rate on their 18MBPS cable is Actually $47.95 if you prefer month to month, vs $39.95.

I dunno man, maybe you're only getting attitude because you're trying to get them to lower the price. I know there are some places where the prices are just not flexible at all, I try to haggle too, but sometimes the prices are just non negotiable.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
If you compare their prices with a place like Acanac, the price is only less if you sign a contract. Acanac's monthly rate on their 18MBPS cable is Actually $47.95 if you prefer month to month, vs $39.95.

I dunno man, maybe you're only getting attitude because you're trying to get them to lower the price. I know there are some places where the prices are just not flexible at all, I try to haggle too, but sometimes the prices are just non negotiable.

Meh, even Cogeco is willing to negotiate. I asked them for 10% but Teksavvy stayed firm. They couldn't tell me why their service was worth the extra money. ie, "We won't lower the price but our service has this, this and this". If they had made a good argument, I would have bought in. I'm about ready to just take the discount Cogeco was offering. I haven't been impressed with these other ISPs so far. MySignal seems to have more perks, such as more robust email accounts, better spam filtering, and they've gotten better reviews online than TS.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Meh, even Cogeco is willing to negotiate. I asked them for 10% but Teksavvy stayed firm. They couldn't tell me why their service was worth the extra money. ie, "We won't lower the price but our service has this, this and this". If they had made a good argument, I would have bought in. I'm about ready to just take the discount Cogeco was offering. I haven't been impressed with these other ISPs so far. MySignal seems to have more perks, such as more robust email accounts, better spam filtering, and they've gotten better reviews online than TS.

Cogeco will always negotiate, same with Rogers... But I think that is because their prices are high and they have room, which I think is more criminal honestly... TS has a lower, flat rate that they don't budge on, which I think is fine. The fact they are willing to negotiate about services sometimes makes me wonder how much they really make from people, especially those who never change their services or try to get better rates etc.

I hope it works out for you, with whatever you decide. I am definitely happy I made the choice I did though. And I can leave them if I decide to move or anything without having to break out of a contract. More than I can say for my cable TV service (minimum 1 year term)