Only US-born folk allowed to run for president

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Who the hell says you have to be born in America to be president? Obama manages just fine.

Jul 10, 2007
Talk to naturalized citizens. Although they claim to love America, their allegiance to their native country is stronger.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
If Germany had this law then Hilter wouldn't have become chancellor and then President. :p
And he might have then gone on to become leader of some other locality.
Or of Disney.

I think it's a reasonable requirement to ensure the the President doesn't have loyalties to another country too.
Be birthed in the US, boom you're a citizen, then leave the country and grow up through your formative years in some other country, possibly somewhere hostile to the US, then come back to the US at age 21, spend 14 years here, then run for office.

Just a fun hypothetical. :)

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In most cases if you have one US parent, then you would probably be considered a US Citizen Born Abroad. You are suppose to document this with the local US Embassy. Then they issue you a "Report of a child born to a US Citizen Abroad" with the seal of the embassy. It is a federal form and filed with the Department of State.

I was born in Africa, near Casablanca, Marocco.

A person who immigrated or married a US Citizen overseas would have a Naturalization Certificate after living in the USA after 5-10 years. My wife is korean and she had to have a Visa to enter the USA Legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.