Only in America

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
http://www.accessatlanta.com/e...d=homepage_tab_newstab

Couple gets a new 5500 sq foot home and 100K in cash. 3 years later they are in default. Made the brilliant decision to borrow 450K against the home to invest in a construction business during a housing bubble collapse, then cant pay the mortgage. You cant make this shit up about how stupid people are.

Are these people eligible for the govt bailout? I pray not.

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
I really wish that crap show would build 5 or 6 houses for people in need instead of one giant mansion for one family who really don't need something that extravagant.

JohnnyGage

Feb 18, 2008
It happened here to a family in AZ. The husband was out of work and they got him a job--which he never showed up for. Now the house is in foreclosure and hubby is else where. Someone should go back and see what has been happening with the families and see how well they are doing.

Like shiner said--you can't fix stupid.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CalvinHobbes
I really wish that crap show would build 5 or 6 houses for people in need instead of one giant mansion for one family who really don't need something that extravagant.

Agreed, I hate that show. They take a good idea - helping people who need it - and turn it into a celebration of avarice.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
What do the poor families they help out do when it comes time to pay property taxes? I've always wondered that.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
i found this interesting:

?What?s going to happen is instead of keep paying my mortgage, I?m going to take my money and not pay my mortgage because I?m being harassed,? said Harper.

from from here

that is the kind of mentality that deserves nothing.

they are the same kind of people that would end up on the street 5 years after winning the lottery because they are so godamned stupid.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: yllus
What do the poor families they help out do when it comes time to pay property taxes? I've always wondered that.

Unless Atlanta's property taxes are insane. It should be less than a mortgage on a small home.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999

you can work at burger king and make enough to pay property tax.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Wheezer
i found this interesting:

?What?s going to happen is instead of keep paying my mortgage, I?m going to take my money and not pay my mortgage because I?m being harassed,? said Harper.

from from here

that is the kind of mentality that deserves nothing.

they are the same kind of people that would end up on the street 5 years after winning the lottery because they are so godamned stupid.

Wow not only stupid but a cocky asshole about it as well. Hope they end up in a cardboard box under the local bridge crapping in a bucket.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

They are usually given money in advance to save and pay for the taxes. The above example included the home and $100,000.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Hand a bum a bucket of fish and a fishing pole, he'll eat the whole bucket in one night, get really bad diarrhea from preparing it improperly, tear his cornea on the fishhook and then blame you for giving him a faulty fishing pole.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I will say this though...it must be hard to sell a house for $500,000 that is filled with stupid shit like sandboxes in the bedrooms or an expensive to heat indoor bowling alley. I mean, I can't even be bothered to deal with a swimming pool.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

There's also income taxes on the cost of the remodel/house/prize.

This can't be serious.

Originally posted by: Genx87
Are these people eligible for the govt bailout? I pray not.

The "govt bailout" doesn't work that way.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vic

This can't be serious.

Well, technically you could. I guess it depends on your tax rate and value. My property taxes are around $1,800 to $2,000 per year. I could pay them working at BK! :p

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
I used to watch when the show first started. Then it seemed to really help people - redo a home or even rebuild but to a more "normal" level. But after the second year or so, it just got ridiculous and really became a bore and I and my family quit watching.

These who are losing the house deserve to. Losers.....

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: Vic

This can't be serious.

Well, technically you could. I guess it depends on your tax rate and value. My property taxes are around $1,800 to $2,000 per year. I could pay them working at BK! :p

Depends on where you live. I know people who live in 8K sq foot home and pay ~10K a year. Provided you arent paying a mortgage it is doable. Of course, wouldnt want to have to put a roof on the place. May as well put it up for sale then hehe.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Further proof that you can't fix stupid.
You really can't. Holy fvck, how stupid. You have cash thrown at you, a beautiful paid off home, and a year and a half later you're in foreclosure?
Nobody would watch, but I agree.
Heh, not in NY State. I pay 3.5% of my home's value every year in property taxes, it's fully 1/3rd of my mortgage.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Further proof that you can't fix stupid.
You really can't. Holy fvck, how stupid. You have cash thrown at you, a beautiful paid off home, and a year and a half later you're in foreclosure?
Nobody would watch, but I agree.
Heh, not in NY State. I pay 3.5% of my home's value every year in property taxes, it's fully 1/3rd of my mortgage.

Its almost 2.5% here in PA. I'm looking to move to DE in the next couple of years. All things being equal the tax is almost 2/3 less.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
My sister works in PR for one of the companies that sponsored this house and was there during some of the construction of the house and got to walk through it. I remember her saying how huge this house was and it's gorgeous. Sad to think the family that got this great gift pissed it away.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: thraashman
My sister works in PR for one of the companies that sponsored this house and was there during some of the construction of the house and got to walk through it. I remember her saying how huge this house was and it's gorgeous. Sad to think the family that got this great gift pissed it away.
Why so glum! The housing bailout may help them keep it :)

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
This gives me a great idea for a new show:light:

Pick a random handfull of our finest citizens, homeless people, crackheads, street walkers, wine o's etc... and give them each $100k cash and a new car. Then follow each one with a camera crew for six months, at the end the one that has accomplished the most in turning there life around wins the grand prize of $1,000,000 plus a new house.