Online PC Gaming with wireless connection

blackrain

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2005
I only have a wireless connection to my game pc. How will a game like Battlefield 2142 play? Is it worth it?

I have a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter and a Linksys WRT54G router.

mordantmonkey

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
works fine for me. pings might be a bit higher (lowest wired ~14, lowest wireless ~23) but that's anecdotal and not based on any real measurements.
BF2,CS:S work fine so I would assume 2142 would as well.

livingsacrifice

Jul 16, 2001
I actually had my computer on wireless for about 2 years and I had BF2142, it was nearly unplayable for me on wireless always would get around 150-300ping. But this was on nearly every game I had. I was using a Linksys pre-N PCI card and a pre-N router, I also had a Dlink di-624 router and neither one had that great of a connection. I was only about 100ft away from the router too with about 3-4 bars out of 5 connection. I eventually went to a new type of setup called power line networking and so far I can't really tell the difference between that and hard wired LAN, it's quick and works very well.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
I find that pings aren't that different. However, if you have a poor quality connection - either due to interferrence, distance, or crap hardware, you run the risk of dropping packets, which have the effect of lag spikes.

I had a really bad USB wireless card for awhile. It was so terrible that whenever CPU usage hit 100%, it would disconnect.

Epic fail :( I replaced it with a newer Linksys, and it worked a lot better. Ever since then I keep wireless far away, and insist on hardwired ethernet.

~MiSfit

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I have been wireless for 4 years and have had no problems with any game. I really didn't notice a difference between wireless and wired other than not having wires all over the place.

kirilus

Feb 7, 2008
If you do not lose connection easily or have other technical issues then wireless would be the same

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
I tried wireless for a while. It really sucked. I would hang for about 10 seconds every 3 minutes or so, and then come back (usually to be dead).

I eventually found ethernet over power line. Works great. Got this really simple plug in kit from staples, never looked back.