Online dating is a joke...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Then don't do it?

School is usually a good option but like you're saying most people don't take it seriously. Try getting involved in groups around campus and meeting people that way. If you're in the same group as someone, then you already have something in common and that's an easy starting point.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
My mate isn't having trouble dating girls online. He is out of Uni and in the workforce and finds it harder to meet girls. He is dating different girls and taking to a few. He has no problems and is moderately good looking.

Maybe your ad isn't up to par? Maybe your not searching enough using your dating site? Keep going and I'm sure you can meet some more like minded people.

Koing

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Online dating depends totally on: A) Where you live, B) What you're looking for and C) What they're looking for. I've had a lot of dates off of Match for about the past 2 years now. I've dated everything from students, teachers, trust fund girls, a cheerleader for the Cowboys, doctors, lawyers, etc. My problem was, I was always looking for the next big thing, or the chemistry was a lil off, or I was always tempted to something else.

The current GF and I have been going on for about a month and a half and couldn't be happier really - she has her own audiology practice, great network of friends, (one of whom I work with) has her life together, etc. I've gone through dry periods where I was frustrated with dating - both online and people I meet other places. You meet a lot of ****** people, have a lot of ****** dates. In the past two years I've run the gamut in dating - I've probably dated more people in the past two years than most people do in 5. Doesn't make me special, just helped me figure out what exactly it was that I wanted out of dating/a relationship.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Koing
My mate isn't having trouble dating girls online. He is out of Uni and in the workforce and finds it harder to meet girls. He is dating different girls and taking to a few. He has no problems and is moderately good looking.

Maybe your ad isn't up to par? Maybe your not searching enough using your dating site? Keep going and I'm sure you can meet some more like minded people.

Koing

True...plus many of those here are bad examples of what successful dating is. When I am single, I am never here from friday night through the weekend.

Married life gets me some bonus perks...but while dating it was thursday and fridays to meet and greet and then hooking up on the weekend for a 'next level' type date with another chick.

I have had equal luck with keepers and trash dating people I just meet around and those online.

My requirements for online dating are: picture in ad and must be able to provide some with dates. In the beginning I ended up with someone looking 10years or pounds other than provided pic/description.

One of the best online dating odds are hooking up with your local singles groups for your age group or favored activity. In small towns, this may be hard...but in major cities they are usually pretty abundant.

I will say this, if you are looking for one night stands or just a f-buddy...online dating has tons. There are a lot of good looking people yet too attached to their jobs/family to get out and do stuff for themselves.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Shawn
All the women on these sites are either:

1) FAKE
2) Ugly and/or Fat
3) Knocked up (usually 2 or more kids)
4) Redneck Hicks
5) Religious Wackos
6) A drunken idiot (ex. "I like drinking and partying all night long")
7) A complete idiot in general (ex. wRiTINg lIeK THiS)
8) Or want to get pregnant and start a family ASAP!

Or a combination of the above. I don't get how anyone can meet anyone on any of these sites. I've tried okcupid, plentyoffish, and match.com.

I've tried meeting people at school but anyone worth taking already has someone. The only girls who are left are the drunks who stay out all night, get fvcked up, fvck random guys, then wonder why their grades are suffering.

I don't know, maybe it's just the area. I can't wait to get out of Tallahassee.

I just realized you are talking Tallahassee...you realize FSU is right there. I seriously hope you are not a student there and are still having problems dating. If you have problems dating in a college town while in college dear lord help you.

You do realize you can recreate yourself in college like every term. I saw people I started with that were utter social rejects to becoming some of the coolest people to hang with. Being smart is a great start which you probably are being you are thinking about your grades....add some personality into the mix now and think of the life you want versus the life your parents created.

I have known many chicks and dudes at UF (and 5 years later at FAU) that partied hard and yeah fvcked a lot...but only a few really let their grades slide...they aren't going to be getting 4.0's in all classes, but once in college that's really a stupid goal to try for. Sex is not the sacred beast for many anymore. If you are looking to just get out of dating and into marriage, it's a bad thing to do. I have known a lot of happy marriages with kids of high school sweethearts that were each other's first at everything that just feel apart by their late 20's/30's. A lot of it has to do with the media and our society...I don't disagree. However; that is reality...it's the world we live in and it's not changing here. Women see Sex and the City, Desparate Housewives...Guys see almost every main male married character being surrounded by gorgeous women throwing themselves at him...it creates desires.

The experiences you have in college outside the classroom are far more rewarding and life changing than anything in the classroom.

If you think in today's age you are going to find women in their late teens to early 20's that haven't been with 10 or so guys or more (who have been sexually active since their teens), you are painting a false picture of what you think a woman should be like especially if you think you are going to have a shot at sex with her.

When I was younger I had some issues with girls that had more than a few partners...10 years later it really stopped mattering once I figured who I had been with...10 years after that I don't want a chick with only a few partners.

You also learn how "I have never done this before" is just the polite way of someone excusing the debauchery you are about to commit.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Online dating depends totally on: A) Where you live, B) What you're looking for and C) What they're looking for.

This is true too...where you live is a big part of it I have found...

It's funny you dated a cheerleader for the Cowboys...I believe it 100%...I met an actress with some bit parts in movies at the time (mid 90's)...I can't remember her freaking name though :) She traveled a lot was in my town, I had an ad she responded too and we hung out. I just made out with her though and it was only a night, but still fun.

People think those around a ton of people/good looking have it easy...the chick I went on a date with was tired of guys just trying to nail someone they saw in a movie or those more farther up the food chain trying to use her with false promises.

I dated a lot...I can't remember even the names of all the girls I have been in bed with (not necessarily sex just messing around, but I couldn't come up with the names of those I had intercourse with either)...those that can easily say their list of names really haven't dated or got very lucky.

There was a chick I dated in high school that I just couldn't perform with due to her past...she was 15/16 years old and in a christian school...smoking hot. However, she told me about her book of names and I would be the first 'Chris' once we got up to the point we were going to 'do it'. She literally had a book of names for boys (the baby naming type of book) with checkmarks next to many of them. We were both naked and in position and I just couldnt do it...I was so young 15/16 too and was just thinking about all the stuff I learned about in school + having a mom who was a OB/GYN nurse. Imagine fighting with some p!ssed off brunette nude in your room jumping around totally p!ssed off. I do remember her name though...it was Stacey.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Grand generalizations!

I've had decent luck with online dating sites. Some hits and some misses - which is exactly what I experienced with meeting people in the 'real' world. I am about to go out with my girlfriend that I met on OKCupid, and we have been dating since early February, so in this case it has worked well. I have dated others I have met online for two months, and some not past the first date.

As others have mentioned it also does depend on where you are in life. I moved to a college town for professional reasons, not as a student, and when going out the vast majority of people were/are college kids. Sounds fun, but in reality not much more can be annoying than a drunk 20,21 year old college girl. So I was new in town (very small lame town) and I was older than the typical college crowd (27 at the time), so in my personal situation online dating worked out very well. If you are a college student, then I do think you got some problems if you can't meet people on campus and have to resort to the intraweb to socialize.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles
Sounds fun, but in reality not much more can be annoying than a drunk 20,21 year old college girl. So I was new in town (very small lame town) and I was older than the typical college crowd (27 at the time), so in my personal situation online dating worked out very well. If you are a college student, then I do think you got some problems if you can't meet people on campus and have to resort to the intraweb to socialize.

This is funny too...I know a lot of old guy losers (I can't say late 20's is too old for juniors/seniors at college though) that just prey on college chicks. They spend their money on a nice car, the hot clothes, and pick up a modest place to live.

Easy to impress the young chicks. I know a ex-Big Daddy manager with dentures (he is still a formidable man though, looks hardened and tough) that has 18-20 somethings over his townhouse every night. He used to be a great place to crash coming home since he was right by the club scene...you'd have boyfriends and husbands coming to the door looking for their women.

I used to like the eye candy there while chilling. I have liked chicks late 20's to mid 30's since I was 21...

I will say looking at an hot 18-21 yo chick is great, but once they start talking about things they want to do 'today'....it goes way downhill.