Online coffee bean sources

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
If you don't care about quality or freshness, then Amazon. Otherwise, I'd recommend Trade Coffee for trying/supporting national roasters.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmmm does not look like bulkcoffeeonline.com is taken, business opportunity.

I like Kicking Horse coffee, they have it in lot of grocery stores but looks like they sell it online too, worth a shot:

Reactions: sandorski

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Where I've been buying is from Cost Plus World market. Free shipping for 49.00
I buy 2 of these 3 packs (4 1/2 lbs) for 60.00 which is 9 lbs of coffee. So around 6.67/lb delivered. Pretty close to the Kirkland brand as far as taste.
Cost Plus does have other kinds of coffee if Sumatra isn't your favorite
Thanks for the heads-up! Just ordered the Italian Roast for cheap:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Heard a radio program interview of founder of Pachamama coffee, a collective of actual coffee farmers. So little of the $$$ you spend on coffee winds up in the hands of the growers. Pachamama's business model changes that, eliminates the middle man. They even do their own roasting. I'm thinking of ordering through them:

Last edited:

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I buy from Whole Latte Love.

I try a few different varieties and have found some good stuff. Maybe I'll try some of these other places when I'm bored and looking for something new.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have around 11 lb. organic coffee beans on hand now, figure I'm set for a few months. I hit Costco almost a month ago for the first time since before the lockdown in March. Spent over $500 on nothing but food and some supplements & vitamins. Snagged three 3 lb. bags of SF Bay Organic beans, been enjoying it. Still have one 2 pound bag of First Colony Coffee and Tea Rainforest Blend USDA Organic Arabica Coffee I got cheap off of Amazon. I like that too.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Heard a radio program interview of founder of Pachamama coffee, a collective of actual coffee farmers. So little of the $$$ you spend on coffee winds up in the hands of the growers. Pachamama's business model changes that, eliminates the middle man. They even do their own roasting. I'm thinking of ordering through them:

I understand that the growers get little of the money from their coffee sales. Fair Trade coffee gets more money to the growers, IIRC.

You would think that if these pachamama guys and their model eliminates the middleman, the coffee would be cheaper.
Not more expensive. Its way more expensive.
Guatemala, which nothing special is $18/12oz, that's 24/lb. The 5lb is $87
I use between 4 &5 lbs a month of Sumatra for $30 from Cost Plus.
This pachamama has Ethiopian, which is also a good coffee but 10oz is 19.00 ,so over $30/lb.
5 lb is $105.
I hope the farmers there are getting a good chunk of that extra money.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I understand that the growers get little of the money from their coffee sales. Fair Trade coffee gets more money to the growers, IIRC.

You would think that if these pachamama guys and their model eliminates the middleman, the coffee would be cheaper.
Not more expensive. Its way more expensive.
Guatemala, which nothing special is $18/12oz, that's 24/lb. The 5lb is $87
I use between 4 &5 lbs a month of Sumatra for $30 from Cost Plus.
This pachamama has Ethiopian, which is also a good coffee but 10oz is 19.00 ,so over $30/lb.
5 lb is $105.

That's what I hate about Fair Trade, it just doubles the Price. Almost as if the Middlemen still take their exorbitant Cut, but they take the extra $ and give it to the Growers. We don't only pay double, we get to think the Middlemen are Socially Conscious as well. Yay us...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
5 lb is $105.
Yeah, it's pretty expensive. They are trying different things including opening shops. One's planned for my town, Berkeley, CA, a natural place for them. The interview (1/2 hour) had info that the farmers are getting a big part of the profits, probably way over 50% I think. The whole rational for the organization is to put the money in the hands of the growers.