OnePlus 3T... did I make a good purchase?

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
coming off the moto X bandwagon. Loved the original, got a 2015 pure couple yrs back and it was Ho-Hum. I have a G4+ as a backup and my wife has an original moto G.... I like the moto phones mainly because of the near android experience. I used to be a nexus guy, but after the 5, I wasn't planning on going back. My pure is beat up and needs to be replaced.

I wanted a moto Z, but wanted the force with the bigger battery. I'm a GSM guy and it's only on verizon so a no go for me (that and the price if it did go to all carriers). the moto Z play was too close to the G4+ and didn't have an amoled like I want and a second tier processor is not what I wanted for a daily.

I then figured I'd look at a pixel... I know I know a renamed nexus phone, but it is getting great reviews. I'm just not spending 800 for it no matter how good it is.

short story long, I went for the 3T. it was within my budget (under 500), has the amoled display I desire (biggest complaint with the pure was the lcd display) and top end internals. ive seen reviews complimenting the lightly skinned android, some stating it was better than the moto skin.... if that's the case I will be happy.

i guess i have concerns about build quality and updates

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
I think it's a solid device. I only worry about OnePlus from a warranty/customer service perspective.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I'll always be skeptical of OnePlus based on the release/treatment of their first two phones, but this has been praised by pretty much everyone that I've seen.

Hopefully it's going to show long-term reliability and also satisfactory customer support if you ever need one in the future (hopefully you won't be, of course).

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Seems like my concerns are warranted. Phone arrives likely tomorrow.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I know a few people with it and they're very happy with it. Only complaint is the camera in low light, but i guess they had to cut a corner somewhere. Otherwise it feels and behaves like a flagship

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Do you like it?

Does it do what you want it to, how you want it to?

The opinions of others don't matter nearly as much now that you already own it.

I personally still don't trust their customer service.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Do you like it?

Does it do what you want it to, how you want it to?

The opinions of others don't matter nearly as much now that you already own it.

I personally still don't trust their customer service.
I do like it. wish they would have filled out the phone a bit more as it feels very thin. battery life seems good. I like the asthetics of the it. screen looks nice. single bottom speaker isn't good / isn't bad.

what concerns me is, it won't sync BT to my honda van ('09 odyssey. I think this isn't uncommon with come phones and honda's handsfree link), the touch screen response seems off sometimes (slow and laggy) and on saturday, it seemed it wasn't pulling LTE reception like i expected it to. would stay in HSPA+ in areas my moto would have 3-4 bars of LTE. the signal strength hasn't been an issue since.

Oxygen OS is OK. I am getting used to some of the newer features of nouget, but overall I think it's decent

bym007

Feb 12, 2017
I do like it. wish they would have filled out the phone a bit more as it feels very thin. battery life seems good. I like the asthetics of the it. screen looks nice. single bottom speaker isn't good / isn't bad.

what concerns me is, it won't sync BT to my honda van ('09 odyssey. I think this isn't uncommon with come phones and honda's handsfree link), the touch screen response seems off sometimes (slow and laggy) and on saturday, it seemed it wasn't pulling LTE reception like i expected it to. would stay in HSPA+ in areas my moto would have 3-4 bars of LTE. the signal strength hasn't been an issue since.

Oxygen OS is OK. I am getting used to some of the newer features of nouget, but overall I think it's decent
I am also looking for a replacement at the moment. I have been within Android eco system for a long time, and currently on Sony Xperia Z3 Dual.

I can have iPhone 7+ 128gb and Oneplus 3t 128gb in similar money, although I am not an iPhone fan.

Should I go for op3t now or wait for new phone announcements in 2 weeks time? Although I stopped following flagships since a while now...

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a OnePlus3, and had a oneplus 1, and like both in theory. But have had hardware issues with my OnePlus3 which they refuse to fix. Have sent it in twice for repair/replacement, and they've sent it right back both times saying they couldn't detect an issue and it passed all diagnostics. Yet the damn thing locks up CONSTANTLY. So currently still using my oneplus 1 and regretting the oneplus 3 purchase. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't.....grrr... Would never buy another Oneplus product simply because of the customer service experience. I get that hardware has issues sometimes, but they need to fix/replace those issues when they come up.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
To followup on my last post -- I ended up sending it in a THIRD time at which time they finally agreed to replace it instead of trying to fix it. Then of course the Oneplus 3 has been out of stock. So after 3 weeks of my replacement being in limbo, I finally got an email today saying they shipped my replacement out -- a Oneplus 3T! So nice that they at least are sending me a 3T instead of my original 3 -- not sure if it's because the 3 isn't going to be produced anymore or what, but makes me happy at least. So they redeemed themselves at least partially!

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
I have a OnePlus3, and had a oneplus 1, and like both in theory. But have had hardware issues with my OnePlus3 which they refuse to fix. Have sent it in twice for repair/replacement, and they've sent it right back both times saying they couldn't detect an issue and it passed all diagnostics. Yet the damn thing locks up CONSTANTLY. So currently still using my oneplus 1 and regretting the oneplus 3 purchase. When it works, it's great. When it doesn't.....grrr... Would never buy another Oneplus product simply because of the customer service experience. I get that hardware has issues sometimes, but they need to fix/replace those issues when they come up.
What happened with that device? Mind to explain us? Seems more a SW screwup along the HW issue.

That's why I wait for some time before changing a smartphone I like.