One more bit of Republican mythology shot down

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Craig234
You did not acknowledge the error you made: you instead substituted a different topic and tried to play it off as if you had not said what you did that was wrong.

The error was your saying I "invented" the "detail about Carter saying Reagan would cut medicare spending", to quote you. I proved above I did not invent it.

What the hell are you babbling about. Those quotes you've attributed to me did not originate from my keyboard. Looks like you've been hitting the sauce pretty hard on a lonely Saturday night.

Now, for the $20B issue - I did make an error there. The moment - figuratively, I mean the first couple months, not the first 60 seconds - Reagan was in power, he began the efforts to implement the right-wing programs on Medicare as documented in the links I posted. I should have said his efforts against Medicare began immediately, and not the specific $20B cut. That's an error; and it has no effect on the accuracy of the point of the thread.

You also need to get a clue on the difference between error and lie. Lie is intent to deceive, as when Reagan misrepresented his own history he knew well on Medicare, or your swapping the actual point I responded to, the one about Carter's claim, with another, the $20B timing.

Sorry Craig, but the left is constantly screaming that Bush lied about WMD's instead of just just being in error. So you'll have to pardon me for holding you up to their standard. If you've got a problem with that, well, take your gripes up with the likes of Harvey and other "Bush Lied thousands died" lefties.

In any event "great speaking" typically is error free. Your typed speech isn't even mediocre.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Corn
You did not acknowledge the error you made: you instead substituted a different topic and tried to play it off as if you had not said what you did that was wrong.

The error was your saying I "invented" the "detail about Carter saying Reagan would cut medicare spending", to quote you. I proved above I did not invent it.

What the hell are you babbling about. Those quotes you've attributed to me did not originate from my keyboard. Looks like you've been hitting the sauce pretty hard on a lonely Saturday night.

No, I conflated the posts from you (Corn) and Fern, same icon, both four-letter **rn names.

The rest of your comments - you need to learn not to post asinine personal attacks.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

No, I conflated the posts from you (Corn) and Fern, same icon, both four-letter **rn names.

The rest of your comments - you need to learn not to post asinine personal attacks.

hahahahahahahahahahah

/wave kettle!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Well, lucky for Craig, the Democratic party is pure, wholesome, drama-free, free from corruption and scandal, the party of integrity, and always tell the truth.

What a breath of fresh air!

Just ask Kwame Kilpatrick!

I was thinking of Cold Cash Jefferson.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

Obviously we can't count on you to pay attention to the little details. Fern and I do not share the same avatar.

You need to learn not to post asinine topics and I'll refrain from the well deserved personal attacks........

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern

I think the reason you couldn't keep tack of "detail about Carter saying Reagan would cut medicare spending" is because you invented it.

I'd like to compliment you on being the only one on your side to at least make an effort to have a fact-based discussion, but then you go and screw up with the lie that I 'made it up'.

Mondale's statement was already referenced; here's CNN's version, in two different areas:

In this debate, when Carter accused Reagan of planning to cut Medicare, Reagan (who had complained Carter was mis-representing his stands on a number of issues) responded with the now-famous line: "There you go again.

To Carter's attack that he would cut Medicare, he quipped, "There you go again."

So right or wrong on the issue, I did not 'make it up', it's a views of the event that clearly is held by others.

Conclusion: Fern's attempt to correct needs to be corrected.

1st. WTH does MOndale have to do with this?

2nd. If you're young and honestly got your info from CNN, I'll take back the remark about you making it up.

CNN made it up. I watched the debate (yes, dammit I'm that old). CNN, here's what that zippy one-liner was about:

Governor Reagan, as a matter of fact, began his political career campaigning around this nation against Medicare

Polititions do NOT allow other polititions to define them or their policies. So when Carter said that, Reagan had to have a "come-back"

To miscontrue the thing simply as a response to Carter accusing him "spending cuts" in erroneous.

I copied such a large chunk of the transcripts so it would be clear to all interested enough to read that the so-called quip was employed in a far reaching debate about Social Security retirement benefits, Medicare and UHC. There were a number of reforms etc being discussed, it was NOT "Medicare spending cuts".

Fern

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: Jaskalas

Hey, we all sit around with 100K stacked in our freezers. :laugh:

Hey, it's not a bad hiding place for cash!

If the FBI ever shows up and looks in my freezer, they will look in there and be all, "OMG, EGGO WAFFLES!" and be too busy fighting each other to get to the toaster first to notice the money. ;)

Oh, and Craig234, are you ever going to answer my earlier question about whether or not they were real cuts? You dodged the question.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The funny thing is, the moment Reagan had power, he tried to push through a $20B cut to Medicare.
You mean Reagan tried to cut spending? :confused:

But you've been telling us for 20 years how Reagan went crazy with spending.

BTW Reality = Reagan wanted defense spending, Democrats wanted domestic spending, so they compromised and gave us both.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Obviously we can't count on you to pay attention to the little details. Fern and I do not share the same avatar.

No, you can't on me to pay attention to all the small details, but I'll answer some of your posts:)

You're right, they're a similar icon, not the same.

I feel better with you getting to get something right.

You need to learn not to post asinine topics and I'll refrain from the well deserved personal attacks........[/quote]

The asinine commentary is your alone, and there's not much more to be said lest this continue an 'is too is not' exchange, one that perhaps fits your ability.

The fact that you aren't interested in the history of one of the most famous quotes, and the honesty of the most beloved Republican in almost 50 years - no one made you read it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Train
Well that does it! Craig, you've convinced me.. I will NOT be voting for Reagan this year.

Another righty who thinks that all history is not worth discussing. Gotcha.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Train
Well that does it! Craig, you've convinced me.. I will NOT be voting for Reagan this year.

Another righty who thinks that all history is not worth discussing. Gotcha.

Can you post something of value in relevance to the topic instead of launching personal attacks?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The funny thing is, the moment Reagan had power, he tried to push through a $20B cut to Medicare.

BTW Reality = Reagan wanted defense spending, Democrats wanted domestic spending, so they compromised and gave us both.

Sit down, PJ, after a good night's sleep, and let me introduce you to the concept:

A president can be in favor of cutting one program, and yet spending more overall.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven

If the FBI ever shows up and looks in my freezer, they will look in there and be all, "OMG, EGGO WAFFLES!" and be too busy fighting each other to get to the toaster first to notice the money. ;)

Oh, and Craig234, are you ever going to answer my earlier question about whether or not they were real cuts? You dodged the question.

I posted a link to an entire detailed history on the nature of Reagan's proposals on cutting Medicare spending that answered your question. Too lazy to read it?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a sense, all this and other alternative realities operate. Reagan is dead but his stupidities live on as the debt and the distortions of reality linger on. While the questions of responsible governance remains too hot to handle.

In a sense, the Regan administration is and remains the new GOP model for how govern. And a new doctrine of spend and borrow has replaced GOP core values. Which allows the GOP to advocate without seeming to almost unlimited domestic and military spending under some somewhat lovable figurehead. While those handling the puppet President absorbed the one cogent lesson of watergate, namely don't get caught rather than don't do the dirty deed.

But unlimited spending does have a limited shelf life, sooner or later the debt catches up and becomes long term unsustainable. In somewhat of a irony, the very fellow who called
Reaganomics voodoo economics, namely GHB, had that reality descend on him. And as GHB was forced to, read his lips, raise taxes, that resultant tanking of the economy cost GHB a second term. Only to be replaced by an its the economy stupid fellow by the name of
Bill Clinton.

The point being, neither GHB or Bill Clinton were especially brilliant, but 12 straight years of failing to be stupid did the trick and the American economy recovered.

Paving the way for GWB&co. who embodied all of the stupidities of Ronald Regan with none of the charm. At least Ronald Regan surrounded himself with advisers who watched the evening news and peed their pants over seeing negative publicity. And GWB&co. frankly cares for nothing other than the power to do whatever they want.

The official debt figure is a mere 3.2 trillion, real figures will prove far higher, we are embroiled in at least two quagmires, we alienate allies and foes alike, and whomever wins POTUS in 2008 are going to be engaged in little else other than undoing the damages done to this nation by GWB&co.

While the GOP leadership seems to be still delusional, at least the American electorate seems to wants some changes. Firmly rejecting any and all GWB wannabees. As for the debt questions, I think it will be foreign capital markets that end the spend and borrow.
Even if we in the USA remain deep in delusion.

Discuss these realities or deny them is an option for P&N posters, reality is still real and GWB&co. spend and borrow has run out of time. The US economy may well tank before GWB&co. can slink out of office.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: ShotgunSteven

I posted a link to an entire detailed history on the nature of Reagan's proposals on cutting Medicare spending that answered your question. Too lazy to read it?

I asked specifically about the one incident, not about his whole history. Why can't you just answer which kind of "cut" it was? Are you unwilling, or unable?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
No, you can't on me to pay attention to all the small details, but I'll answer some of your posts:)

I feel better with you getting to get something right.

The asinine commentary is your alone, and there's not much more to be said lest this continue an 'is too is not' exchange, one that perhaps fits your ability.

The fact that you aren't interested in the history of one of the most famous quotes, and the honesty of the most beloved Republican in almost 50 years - no one made you read it.

For gods sake, unlike the above gibberish, please try stringing a coherent sentence or two together and explain what details I've been wrong about thus far in the conversation. Do tell.