Once upon a time in Mexico *spoilers*

00Jones

Banned
Jul 15, 2001
Anyone else see this movie? I thought it was really good. And once again, Johnny Depp made the movie.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
There's a bunch of threads already made about this movie. Use the search feature for people's opinions.

I saw it last night and liked it.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I didn't like it... to me it felt like it was jumping from point A to point D at times. Too many characters, too little time I guess.

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: 00Jones
Anyone else see this movie? I thought it was really good. And once again, Johnny Depp made the movie.

It was alright... but they ruined Johnny Depp's character.

After he got his eyes gouged out, everything his character did was pointless. "even though i just had a drill shoved into my eye sockets, im going to wander around town and try to find 2 random goons to shoot." then he dies. whoop-dee-doo.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: PaperclipGod

After he got his eyes gouged out, everything his character did was pointless. "even though i just had a drill shoved into my eye sockets, im going to wander around town and try to find 2 random goons to shoot." then he dies. whoop-dee-doo.

who dies? he doesn't die.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Yeah I remember asking about this in a related movie topic. Most mentioned it sucked. Random violence without a trace of a plot.

However, Ebert and Roeper give it two thumbs up. Solid action flick.

PaperclipGod

Banned
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: boyRacer

*spoiler*

didnt he die at the end...? he's on the ground after shooting those 2 goons, then the girl comes out, he shoots her, then he collapses.

either he's dead or he can live without breathing :/

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
you sure you searched? several came up just by searching for "mexico"

in once upon a time in mexico there were a few ok shots, but mostly the visuals were horrible. it looked like cheap dv half the time, and even when it didn't, it still didnt look quite right. it looked like giant video tv up there, and thats jarring, it takes any dramatic effect out of the scene since its like watching a tv sitcom show instead of a movie. makes everything come off cheesy and unprofessional.

the director needs to get b*tch slapped for being sony's digital camrea whore. wonder how much money is involved with that decision.

if your going to make a movie devoid of substance and relies on its beauty, why would you even mess with the one aspect you think you'd have going for you? good lord.

not to mention the acting....they stuck some male britney singer in for kicks or something, and the story is a mess.

the gun fights? mostly badly directed. random boom boom.

nothing worked.

well salma is hot! but thats not enough, she's not in most of the scenes anyhow. alison loman is hot too, she's 22 so don't think i'm pervy

i do admit the trailer looked amazing, but i guess that goes to show, can't judge a movie by the trailer. i knew it should have some style from the trailer, so i'd be happy with loads of style even if the story was only ok. but even on that front it didn't deliver. all the best bits were definetly in the trailer.

i also saw match stick men. now that was impressive. makes once upon a time in mexico look like a dog.

00Jones

Banned
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

in once upon a time in mexico there were a few ok shots, but mostly the visuals were horrible. it looked like cheap dv half the time, and even when it didn't, it still didnt look quite right. it looked like giant video tv up there, and thats jarring, it takes any dramatic effect out of the scene since its like watching a tv sitcom show instead of a movie. makes everything come off cheesy and unprofessional.

the director needs to get b*tch slapped for being sony's digital camrea whore. wonder how much money is involved with that decision.

if your going to make a movie devoid of substance and relies on its beauty, why would you even mess with the one aspect you think you'd have going for you? good lord.

not to mention the acting....they stuck some male britney singer in for kicks or something, and the story is a mess.

nothing worked.

well salma is hot! but thats not enough, she's not in most of the scenes anyhow. alison loman is hot too, she's 22 so don't think i'm pervy

i do admit the trailer looked amazing, but i guess that goes to show, can't judge a movie by the trailer. i knew it should have some style from the trailer, so i'd be happy with loads of style even if the story was only ok. but even on that front it didn't deliver. all the best bits were definetly in the trailer.

i also saw match stick men. now that was impressive. makes once upon a time in mexico look like a dog.

well...just searched the whole name :D

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

nothing worked.

you just copied and pasted your post from dvdtalk.com forums! :D

edit: the people demand an original post!! :p

edit02: btw, i greatly enjoyed the movie. as far as the DV goes, you can thank Lucas for that since he got RR hooked on it.

Alchemist99

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2002
Damm, well I thought i was a normal person when it comes to movie opinions.

But i guess not, I would rate this as one of the worst movies of all time. To me all the jokes fell flat.
I wanted deperately to walk out half way through , and I'll watch just about anything.
So many good actors, bad bad bad movie. I really like desperado too, oh well

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

*spoiler*

didnt he die at the end...? he's on the ground after shooting those 2 goons, then the girl comes out, he shoots her, then he collapses.

*spoiler*

Supposedly after the credits there's a scene with him walking towards the camera.

00Jones

Banned
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

*spoiler*

*spoiler*

Supposedly after the credits there's a scene with him walking towards the camera.

I saw that, I went into the theater earyl. You just see his face move a lil bit.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Dammit, I'll stop reading this post now. I'm gona see it in 2 hours. I sure hope its good (or as good as Desparado (sp)).

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Originally posted by: SSP
Dammit, I'll stop reading this post now. I'm gona see it in 2 hours. I sure hope its good (or as good as Desparado (sp)).

How can you possibly see this movie after all the dings on this thread?
rolleye.gif

Go see Matchstick Men instead. That movie has been very well recieved.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Uhm in the ending of the movie that I saw, Johnny Depp lived. After he killed Eva Mendes he laid there unconscience. At the end of the movie they show JD up against the wall talking to the boy that guided him around. He was talking to the retired FBI agent at the end. I could have sworn that happend.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Thought the movie was silly. Fun during some parts, but not worth the price of admission.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Uhm in the ending of the movie that I saw, Johnny Depp lived. After he killed Eva Mendes he laid there unconscience. At the end of the movie they show JD up against the wall talking to the boy that guided him around. He was talking to the retired FBI agent at the end. I could have sworn that happend.

are all of you drunk???

of course he lived...he was against the wall talking to the boy, and also talking to the retired FBI agent..and flipped him off....and that scene ends ..... and antonio banderas' character walks out ...movie ends...

anyways....

i thought it was OK at best...i didn't think desperado was THAT good either...that was an ok movie as well...