Question Onboard graphics from intel MBs not good enough

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
I was looking for a motherboard suited for Intel with these specs

1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 5120x2880@60 Hz
* Support for DisplayPort 1.4 version, HDCP 2.3, and HDR.
2 x HDMI ports, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@60 Hz
* Support for HDMI 2.1 version, HDCP 2.3, and HDR.

However so far I only found AMD… can someone help? Its for a i5 10400 CPU

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
IMO, even if you had the ports and like Larry says, they could drive what you are looking for that's a lot of desktop for Intel integrated graphics to push. Have you considered adding a cheap GPU (or two) if you are really looking to push that much screens?

Or yeah, consider AMD and sell the 10400.

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
What if I only asked about Display port 1.4 and HDMI 2.1 support? Are there no Intel motherboards capable of both?

Also, why is it that even when i find some Intel mobos with HDMI 1.4b, why the onboard video never mentions HDCP? I need HDCP too, for Cyberlink‘s PowerDVD, and currently I am not looking to buy a video card.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
What if I only asked about Display port 1.4 and HDMI 2.1 support? Are there no Intel motherboards capable of both?

Also, why is it that even when i find some Intel mobos with HDMI 1.4b, why the onboard video never mentions HDCP? I need HDCP too, for Cyberlink‘s PowerDVD, and currently I am not looking to buy a video card.

Does it matter what the board supports if the GPU on the CPU can’t support that mode?

Those higher modes are likely only available with an 11th Gen CPU.

Which means your search is impossible given Larry’s info.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

If this involves UHD blurays, better to forget about it, and get a standalone player. Or Xbox, if you can find one. The DRM on them are atrocious in requirements.

• Haha
Reactions: blckgrffn

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
The motherboard is just a pipe carrying the CPU's integrated video outputs to the rear panel connectors. There's no active video processing or graphics generation on the motherboard itself. As mentioned above, the 10400 doesn't support HDMI 2.x. You're being restricted by the CPU's graphics capability, not necessarily by the motherboard.

Perene

Oct 12, 2014
Wait, does it matter if the i5 10400 or the motherboard if the latter has vídeo onboard can’t support HDMI 2.X if this is defined by the video card?

I heard about the infamous UHD requirements from PowerDVD yet I am still puzzled if someone actually made these discs work using any PC:

I am aware of MAKEMKV but the problem is that some content can’t be converted to matroska and you need the decrypted disc at least to access them, like text pages, photo galleries or even the original menus from said disc. If we were talking about regular 1080p Blu-ray’s then these would be accessible with any hardware, not the case for 4Ks.

I am also investigating if these requirements can be bypassed (HDCP included) by simply using AnyDVD-HD to create a decrypted 1:1 copy to my SSD and/or using another software like DVDFAB player as a PowerDVD alternative.

My conclusion is that most motherboards for old Intel CPUs like the i5 10400 not only lack a more recent DisplayPort and HDMI, they also fail to mention HDCP anywhere, for their onboard videos. Meaning if one had this SGX CPU and also a SGX motherboard it would have to buy some nvidia video card as well, obviously recent.

Note: SGX has been abandoned in intels 11th gen.

The SGX requirement also entails that no AMD motherboard can be used.

I am still investigating what to do because I always kept untouched full ISO copies from these 4K discs precisely due to some contents not being able to be converted using makemkv to matroska, so in such cases you would need to play the original authoring, otherwise you would be limited to the movie and a few extra features in MKV.