On which network did you watch the election coverage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
MSNBC for the facts
Fox for the comedy

ATP&N for the observations
MSNBC is (almost) just as far to the left of 'facts' as Fox is to the right. Two sides of the same coin.

CNN keeps itself in better check. Actually the most balanced news channel in the US is BBC :rolleyes:, but unfortunately they have very limited broadcast here. Wish they'd expand.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
did not watch on TV. power was still out so I listened to my local radio channel. Maybe next election.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
MSNBC is (almost) just as far to the left of 'facts' as Fox is to the right. Two sides of the same coin.

CNN keeps itself in better check. Actually the most balanced news channel in the US is BBC :rolleyes:, but unfortunately they have very limited broadcast here. Wish they'd expand.

Stop it with the false equivilence! It's not even close. I could make a really long list of Fox lying/misrepresenting "facts" Not talking about opinions.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

I'm a Democrat and even I couldn't stand Rachel Maddow's smug fucking face all night long. That, however, doesn't mean that they necessarily have a problem with facts. Not that I'm going to go back and watch to find out...

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Started watching various channels for updates, but after Ohio gave up on the news aspect and kept switching between MSNBC and Fox for the entertainment value - one could not stop chortling and smirking like girls in middle school while the other was all doom and gloom like my grandma at a funeral. I could not decide which was more amusing.

Unfortunately I completely missed the Karl Rove thing. And dang - those Fox ladies are something :whiste:! I've been missing things...
I'm spoiled by our local Fox channel's news/weather/traffic ladies so I wasn't super impressed by Fox News. Not that I would have kicked the blonde out of bed, mind you...

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I spent most of the night back and forth between CNN and FOX. I missed the meltdown since I'd gone to CNN after FOX announced Ohio for Obama.

DrewSG3

Feb 7, 2005
I streamed CNN on my computer and watched Fox News waiting for the incoming meltdown, which was awesome in real time

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I watched CNN, MSNBC, and Fox.

CNN had the best analysis of the poll data that was coming in and I was able to see Obama winning before it was called (Florida won it for him).
I watched MSNBC to see what the two campaigns were doing and I switched to fox to see how they were spinning the information as it came in and to watch the melt down:D

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I was mostly watching other shows (e.g., Fifth Element - Milla Jovovich is cute in that movie) but would switch over Fox, MSNBC or CNN to see the 'score' every once in a while.

I switched between election coverage channels to make sure everybody had the same info.

But I didn't watch much coverage because I've already heard every talking heads' opinion on it about a zillion times, by Tuesday night I only cared about the vote totals.

Fern

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I watched CNN until Obama won, and then I switched to Fox so I could savor the tears of defeat.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I watched CNN, MSNBC, and FOX because it'st 136,135, and 134 respectively on my cable. Frankly, I liked CNN's graphics that burrowed down into the counties, most disappointed in MSNBC coverage, too much bias is not news worthy.

But, the most entertaining, was the FOX comedy drama channel, the Rove meltdown shtick was great. I hope to catch his act live some day.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I was mostly watching other shows (e.g., Fifth Element - Milla Jovovich is cute in that movie) but would switch over Fox, MSNBC or CNN to see the 'score' every once in a while.

I switched between election coverage channels to make sure everybody had the same info.

But I didn't watch much coverage because I've already heard every talking heads' opinion on it about a zillion times, by Tuesday night I only cared about the vote totals.

Fern
Did you notice Fox News was off by one electoral vote for Obama all night? In his favor, no less. Guess we can't claim they are biased against Democrats anymore. :D

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
None. I went fishing. I use voting day as an excuse to fish. Much more relaxing hearing birds, seeing blue sky, sitting back in pontoon chair with cold one than blow hards on TV. I got in so late I had to use my cell phone flashlight to open marina combo lock. I wish i could cancel cable but my kids wont let me.

Last edited:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I tend to watch a couple of minutes of each and channel surf like mad. Surprisingly, in years past Fox News was pretty much the best and straightforward and relatively unbiased (for them). As we all know Fox News was a sham this year.

My mini-reivews of the national channels I watched this year:

MSNBC: Rachel Maddow did a very good job as chief anchor, and they must have given Chris Matthews some tranquilizers-to good effect.

CNN: In past years I absolutely hated their obsession (and fumbling with) the latest geewhiz graphics. This year they actually put them to good use.

Fox: They could have sunk lower-if they had it chaired by Fox and Friends. Karl Rove was priceless earlier in the evening with his absurd predictions.

CSPAN: The best place to catch complete acceptance and concession speechs (Atkin's "consession" speech was a priceless parody), but useless for ongoing election coverage.

NBC: Much better analyst than MSNBC. They use their first team here.

PBS: Sometimes I wonder exactly how PBS can make the climax of a four year election cycle even more boring than a British parlor drama.

Comedy Channel: Only watched a few minutes, as it came on when the other networks were calling Ohio.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I though MSNBC did better with the debates but I was disappointed with their election coverage. CNN surprised me, I was expecting fancy tech that looked more gimmicky than useful but what they had worked and it worked well and the county level analysis was really good.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Did you notice Fox News was off by one electoral vote for Obama all night? In his favor, no less. Guess we can't claim they are biased against Democrats anymore. :D

Seriously?

No, I didn't notice that. I was primarily looking to see if a few state had been called. I decided early on that unless Romney won FL, NC and VA it was over for him. I think I gave up watching before they were called, it was just too late.

Kind of sloppy to get the EC vote total wrong.

Edit: Kind of annoyed I missed the Rove meltdown.

Fern

Last edited:

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
I have 3 tv's. One on msnbc, another switching network channels (NBC,ABC,CBS), 3rd on PBS. PBS was my choice for analysis, msmbc for the crawl and call, network for fluff and stuff. I did switch to fox just to see if there was meltdown, sadly i missed it, just couldn't watch them for more than a few min.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Seriously?

No, I didn't notice that. I was primarily looking to see if a few state had been called. I decided early on that unless Romney won FL, NC and VA it was over for him. I think I gave up watching before they were called, it was just too late.

Kind of sloppy to get the EC vote total wrong.

Edit: Kind of annoyed I missed the Rove meltdown.

Fern
blog_fox_news_obama_wins.jpg

tumblr_md3opoqR2U1qlz69ao1_1280.jpg

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Fox News to watch the meltdown.

^^ Same it was so fucking hilarious! I think I wore my DVR out replaying it. :)

I wonder if Rove is going to have trouble shaking down the elite for funds on the next Election cycle??