On-line gaming question

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
I'm behind a NAT router. What's the best way to configure the NAT without compromising security?

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
the easiest way is to just move that comptuer to the DMZ while playing the game, then move it out when you're not.

or you could just forward all the ports used by that game to that computer.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
demilitarized zone?

yup :)

depending on what game you're going to be playing online, you might not even have to foward ports or put your online gaming pc in the DMZ..

now if you plan on running a game server, then it might be required.. best bet would be to just foward the ports that the game uses..

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
using my linksys 4-port router, i never had to foward any ports or put my pc in the DMZ to play unreal tournament online. what router do you have and are you also running firewall software?

go here (currently not loading for me at the moment) for a list of ports for common applications/games.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Q: I am unable to play Internet games or do video conferencing when connected to the router, how can I fix this?

A: This is because the router is using a NAT firewall and the computers on the router are behind this firewall. You can fix it but only one computer is able to go on the other side of the firewall to play an Internet game or videoconference at a time. To do this you will need to use the DMZ settings in the router set up screen. First you will need to find out the IP address of the computer you want to put in the DMZ. In Win95/98 and ME click on Start and click on Run. Here type "winipcfg" and push Enter. This will bring up the IP configuration screen. In the drop down box choose the network card that you are using with the router. Here it should give you an IP in the 192.168.2.xxx range. Remember or write down that IP address and close the IP config window. In Win2000 and Win XP click Start go to Program and to Accessories. In there choose Command Prompt and type IPCONFIG at the DOS prompt. Remember or write down that IP address and close the IP config window. Now open you Internet browser and put in the router IP address, it should be 192.168.2.1, in the address bar. Log into the router and from the main screen click on Initial setup off to the left. On the next screen choose DMZ. Here you will need to click enable and type in the last digits of the IP address you just recorded earlier into the box there. Click the Enter button at the bottom to save that setting. You should now be able to use videoconferencing and Internet games. Remember to come back into the Router setup screen and disable the DMZ so that your computer can once again be put behind the firewall so it can be protected.

that seems to be the official answer from belkin.. but read this thread from dslreports on opening ports on belkin router (not sure if the wireless routers use the same configuration tool as the wired routers) and open the necessary ports.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm using Proxomitron. Don't know if that matters.

i dont think that should matter since that's just a popup killer, etc. for your browser..