On Line Gaming: I Stink.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
All right! I played HalfLife2 Deathmatch for about three hours straight. Was a lot of fun but of course I got my ass kicked. And nobody complained!

Wow, after reading my post here, I guess my wife is right about being a 50 year old kid. But it's all about escapism for me.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I would go with Quake 3 arena or other similarly fast-paced death match. HL2 is relatively slow paced and is more about using your environment to kill others hilariously. Quake 3 is pure hand-eye-coordination (strategy only comes into play at the extreme top-end skill-wise).

Quake 3 is great because you can play single player against increasingly difficult bots, the maps are extremely simple, and the graphics requirements are very low. There is no respawn timer which would be extremely frustrating (hence why I would NOT start with counterstrike). This takes out pretty much every external factor from improving your FPS skills.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ricleo2
All right! I played HalfLife2 Deathmatch for about three hours straight. Was a lot of fun but of course I got my ass kicked. And nobody complained!

Awesome :^)

If you stick with it you'll get better, then if you choose to, you can try some team based games. I'm a big fan of the old style arena games. I'm not a big fan of complicated objectives. If it's more than grab the flag, and bring it home, I'm generally not interested :^)

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Some of it comes naturally, some of it comes with thinking.

I think one of the biggest mistakes that new players make is not thinking about WHY you are failing

being the best is almost like playing via an algorithm

once you get each games "algorithm" down you can basically stand with the best (minus those who just have insanely better reflexes than you)

you need to understand what gives you that split second advantage over another person

now if you just play a crapload and think about your mistake the whole time, you're set

ricleo2

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: LumbergTech

I think one of the biggest mistakes that new players make is not thinking about WHY you are failing

once you get each games "algorithm" down you can basically stand with the best (minus those who just have insanely better reflexes than you)

you need to understand what gives you that split second advantage over another person

now if you just play a crapload and think about your mistake the whole time, you're set

I actually understand about getting the algorithm down. I never thought about it like that. Thanks.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: LumbergTech

I actually understand about getting the algorithm down. I never thought about it like that. Thanks.

Excellent advice. Over time you naturally develop a skill for detecting "what went wrong" when you die.

Here's what I do:
Play a map over and over, maybe even for that entire day, so I can get the hang of it. Knowing a map makes a HUGE difference.

Never, ever, face an enemy who you can't take by the books. What I mean by that is if you're playing Quake and you have a machine gun, but the other guy has a rocket launcher - RUN. Feel free to shoot, but run. Rocket Launcher trumps Machine Gun.

Whenever I die, the first thing I think is, "Okay, now what just happened there", and retrace my footsteps. All deaths can be blamed on one of the following:
-You were not properly equipped and you faced enemies who you could not escape from. = Next time run (towards your teammates). Faster. They WILL save you.
-You faced enemies and were properly equipped, but were outnumbered. = Next time don't put yourself in a situation you cannot get out of. You ran in too quickly.
-You faced and enemy and you were properly equipped, but he killed you in the open = Always be covered. Cover-check yourself every 5 seconds if you have to. You should never, ever, EVER, be out in the open with no way to find cover. Ever.

I've gtg but I'll add more later.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Sometimes you're just plain out classed. I'm pretty decent at UT2k4, but there's still players that I struggle to get get a frag against. That's usually on the well worn competition maps. On a mutually unfamiliar map, I tend to do better. Sometimes you didn't do anything wrong. You just weren't as skilled.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
I'd advise against writing off WoW so quickly. The game is all about learning the details of gear, abilities, and spells: what to get, which is best in what situation, and then just trial and error as far as selection and timing go.
The most fun I've had in video games happened in WoW- the game has definitely gotten a lot more complex over the last few years, and there are fewer brand new players. While these factors can definitely make it more difficult to get into for the first time, I'd say the reward will be worth the effort.

Inferno0032

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2007
Engineer/Medic/Heavy on TF2 are all great for "liesure" FPS. That game is stacked with tons of so-called "low skill" classes that are all equally as important as others. When I'm in a leisure mood, Engineer is a blast and a fun and different challenge. I'd check out TF2 if I were you:)

Unmoosical

Feb 27, 2006
If you wanna work on FPS reflexes I recommend UT2k4 with instagib on. You'll learn real quickly to aim and shoot, aim and shoot.

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
ahh the days of being a noob in Q3 arena was hell lol there and the UT world all of them lol if u suck then u die a lot but great thing is you can respawn lol get better and eventually mash up the rest o them !!

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Koudelka
All I do is anger the other players. But I really want to play better but the games itself seem too difficult for my old mind/body. Any multiplayer games out there that an old FPS player can play easier, at least for the sanity of the other players? I'm thinking of a game without a lot of key strokes or mouse clicks. And please keep your mocking jokes to yourself, I have heard them all. Thanks.

If you need any help whatsoever with FPS games... Buy and play Counter-Strike Source. Join a large server with a lot of good people. Get your ass handed to you.

Anytime i get a friend to play who sucks and asks for advice. First thing i tell them is to play in a good server. Watch how everyone else kills you and learn from them.

Best thing to make you better is to understand the game. Any online game at all, if you want to be better you need to understand how the game works, how your character/class works and how to best apply what you know in any situation.

Absolute worst advice ever. The hit boxes and reg in that game are so messed up. And there are so many people who literally know every single spot to camp that any noob will do nothing but get frustrated. I've been playing FPS for about 5 years and am usually top 5 in any MP FPS that I join, except CSS. The learning curve is way too steep, the VAC security system far too flawed and the people playing know too much.

Stay away from this game if you are looking to play an online FPS and be good/have fun.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Do what I do when I play Battlefield 2 online. Play with the pros, and eventually you'll either 1. be weeded out or 2. become one of them. I became option 2. I was so frustrated with the game initially because I completely sucked but after 30 or so hours, I started getting pretty good at figuring out where and what to shoot. Learning curves are steep for BF2 but the skills you gain are just so much more satisfying. I think this applies to many of the more involved games but BF2 is simply the most difficult to master out of all the FPSes I've played...and that's why...you should play it :p

Dec 8, 2008
Team Fortress 2. I also am really not that great at online games. I was horrible at COD4 - ultimately, as I grew up I started to not care about how good I am at playing games. I like TF2 because I can sit back, relax, and have fun while relieving stress.

lifeobry

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Modular
Absolute worst advice ever.

I have to agree about CS. There's some people that are incredible at that game and you swear they're hacking (but they're not)

They have been playing and have been good for years. There is simply no way to compete if you're already bad at FPS.

Worst game to just jump into.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
All I do is anger the other players. But I really want to play better but the games itself seem too difficult for my old mind/body. Any multiplayer games out there that an old FPS player can play easier, at least for the sanity of the other players? I'm thinking of a game without a lot of key strokes or mouse clicks. And please keep your mocking jokes to yourself, I have heard them all. Thanks.

Don't let the other players get to you. Why do you care so much about what they think? Many of these people are ONLY good in these games they play... They don't have anything in RL and so they make themselves feel better by putting down newbs in games. You'll get better! Dont worry about it! In MMORPGs only join guilds that clearly state that they welcome newbs and people of any levels of experience, and willing to help beginners. You got no business joining guilds that consist solely of experience players.

The only thing you should try and NOT do is be SLOW. I dont mean doing things slow in the game, but being slow on the brain. There is nothing that pisses me and others more than "slow" people. For example, when a team is trying to avoid monster aggro, there is an idiot charging in... So he gets killed or gets the whole team killed, and then everyone asks him what the hell he was doing, explains what he did wrong, and he no longer does it again.. That's all good and well. But.. There are certain people that simply ignore others when they talk to them for some stupid reason.. Like you ask a guy: "What the hell are you doing?" No response... You keep asking him again and again.. Still no response... Then 30 min later he wakes up and he's like.. Huh? Amm... "I'm doing what you are saying". You keep wasting your time and energy explaining him what must be done, but he again, does not reply!!! Then 40 min later after everyone got killed and abandoned the whole thing, the guy suddenly says: Ahh... Sry.. I had to take the dog out for a walk.... or... my mom was screaming at me... or my wife was screaming at me because I want watching the kid... or he simply never replies and never says anything!

There's always this guy. Don't be that guy. It's very annoying and frustrating.

Some guidelines:

1)If you don't understand something, ASK.

2)If people are talking to you, especially if they are telling you something important, DON'T IGNORE THEM. REPLY IMMEDIATELY.

3)I'd you made a STUPID mistake TRY not to do it again.

4)If you got to take care of something in RL, for the love of god, don't just leave!
Apologize and tell people you gotta go, and tell them WHY. If you cant tell them why, make something legit up. People like to know why is it that you gotta abandon them all of a sudden.

5)If your mom/wife is screaming at you, tell her to fuck off, or if you are a pussy, go do what she wants. I'm joking... What I mean is, if your mom is screaming, you shouldn't be playing! Go do your f-ing homework, or wash the damn dishes, or cut the damn grass! You are pissing yourself off, and you are frustrating others. Shut the damn computer off and go take care of your RL!! That means NOW. Not in 5 or 10 min.

This goes for walking the dog, watching the kids or taking care of your wife. It's like this... DO YOUR SHIT 1st, and THEN PLAY GAMES. How hard can this be? I understand we're all human, I constantly screw up myself, but we need to understand that games and RL do not mix. You must have days or certain hours in a day dedicated for gaming, and you must make sure that you do whatever it is you have to do in RL BEFORE turning on your PC, so that no one around you has an excuse to bitch about you not doing something important.

Someone will say: "Jeez, cool the f down man! It's just a game!" Well sorry - it's no longer just a game when you dedicate hours to do a quest or a raid. At this point this game is now directly linked to your real life, and you must take responsibility for what you are doing to yourself and others. I mean.. It's so simple. Don't have the time? Don't start the quest! There are other games to play if you are short on time.

I personally stopped playing all MMOs except EVE online because they are just too damn time consuming. There is no way to be truly efficient in most MMOs AND be efficient in RL. It's just not going to happen no matter what you tell yourself. MMOs interfere with my RL, they hurt me, and in turn hurt my relatives. It took me more than 10 years to understand it, but at least I finally got it through my head. ;)

Above all, remember that games are there for your fun and pleasure. When they become a full time job, or when they start pissing you off of making you angry or upset it's time to try another game or stop playing altogether and take a break.

Thanx for reading my rant. I hope it helps!

Liberator21

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I too cut my teeth in BF2, and was absolutely atrocious online. I eventually just kept playing the single player training until I could hang with the computer. I still got slaughtered with real people but it eventually got better.

And YES, knowing the maps is essential! Don't stress over not though, it will come to you. The key question is: are you having fun? I can take a lot of verbal abuse if I'm having fun... And never concerned myself with the haters. There wasn't much talking on BF2 anyway.

Recently I've been playing Motorstorm: Pacific Rift on PS3, and the online trash talking almost makes it not worth playing. I mean, where are the adults? So much profanity I eventually couldn't play it because the family was in the room.

Oh, and about Counter-Strike. I'm decent with FPS and I've never been so angered and frought with violent hatred as when I tried CS:S for a couple of days. Utterly unplayable in my opinion. It's one of those games you get in early (as in release date), or not at all.

-

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com
I play TF2 online for PC mostly and has rarely see anyone mocking others or blaming team. It's a fun game and it all the aspects of FPS covered (you can play sniping CS style or you can play insane speed or rocket jumping Quake style). Start with that and see where it lead you.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: lifeobry
Originally posted by: Modular
Absolute worst advice ever.

I have to agree about CS. There's some people that are incredible at that game and you swear they're hacking (but they're not)

They have been playing and have been good for years. There is simply no way to compete if you're already bad at FPS.

Worst game to just jump into.

Thirded, and I play CS:S regularly because I've spent the time getting my ass handed to me to learn how to play really well.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005

Try Red Orchestra. It has a fairly steep learning curve and can be intimidating to new players, but the slow paced nature of the game gives you breathing room to settle into it. It will also develop your FPS skills without burning you out quickly like games such as Quake 3 can.

The game is also tactical and offers plenty of depth. The non 'arcadey' gameplay attracts older players who are put off games like CS:S and Quake for similar reasons as your own.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

For God's sake, don't play TF2. I suck so hard at that game.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Atreus21

For God's sake, don't play TF2. I suck so hard at that game.

Not to disparage your abilities in any way, but TF2 is one of the most noob-friendly FPS games out there. I would highly recommend it for anyone just starting out with FPS gaming.

KT

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
A few suggestions if I may
-Make sure you use the same mouse setting speeds and settings per each game. You might want to invest in a 'gaming' mouse that allows you to carry a profile over to each game you play. This allows you to develope muscle memory and is good for firing off wrist flick head shots.
-Do exactly what you're doing now: Engaging the gaming community. You're bound to run into people exactly like you and you can learn from each other. Even set up LAN matches with small groups of people to hone your skills.
-Regardless of game, when you're trying to improve play in smaller rooms to start out with. Jumping into a 16 v 16 can be a little hectic. Focus on I'd say the 5 vs. 5 aspect for a while.
-Know the maps. That's a critical one for COD4. If you know where you are, then you know where the enemy will most likely be and then you can just chuck randy nades over buildings and get lots OMWTFHAXOR kills. That's why I don't really play COD4 anymore. I'm not uber l33t, it was just so easy. The maps were pathetically small too.

-In every game, use the same binds for primary weapon, grenades, etc. Getting used to hitting the same button on the keyboard for the same thing will help. I'm an arrow key man myself. My fat paws are too big for WASD. For every one of my FPS games, these keys are the same. Arrows to move, END to crouch, Home for Prone, Keypad Insert jump, Delet and Page Down for Lean left and right, right Shift to Walk, Enter to Use/Pickup, \ Reload and Backspace to drop. There are some slight variations per game, but just a reasonable amount of familliarity will help.

I second the notion to stay away from COD4 and CS/S if you're new to FPS. Extremely steep learning curve. Have you tried any RTS games? I'm a die hard 'twitcher fps shooter' but I like to mix it up with some CoH and the old Warcraft III games just to give the arrow keys a rest for a while. It's good to have at least 3 or 4 games to play. If you play one game too long it will become tiresome and counter-productive. Mix it up.

Anyways. The biggest thing is just keep at it. And, if the worst thing you can say about yourself is that you suck at computer games, then you're really not that bad off.
And from a 28 going on 50 year old gamer to you: Just make sure you have fun.

EDIT: I'm at work, didn't have time to read everything so if I say something someone else said, than I apologize for my parroting but I must add than anyone that thinks the way I do must be a strikingly handsome devil.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
on the other hand you could just accept that you don't have the hand eye coordonation and reflexes of those 14yo kids that play all day long and find some games where you can have fun without being on the top of the scoreboard. That's how i am right now, i don't bother anymore to get good at games, had to much of it while playing counter strike competitively so i mostly stick to single player games. It takes to much hard work to get good at games, where's the fun in that? Team Fortress 2 is good for those that don't bother spending a ton of time learning the game, i could play as an engineer all day, be at the bottom of the scoreboard and still not feel like i got owned

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Other than practicing skills, the other big aspect of getting better is to learn the maps.

With games like UT, you get an edge if you know where the powerups and weapons are, how to get around the map, how the map is laid out, etc.

When I played BF2, I pretty much only played Assault at Karkand, both 32 player and 64 player, Infantry Only. All of my gold medals (award for getting the most points in a round) were from that one map. I knew all of the routes, where to go to flank the other team, where the spawn points were, sniping spots, etc. But any other BF2 map I played, I pretty much sucked because I wasn't familiar with the map layout :p.

This applies to almost all games, and cannot be understated. I'm a halfway decent FPS player, but plop me down on a map that I've never played that the rest of the community has played so many times they're bored and I'll look like a tard. Newer team games aren't so bad with this since you can just glue to the ass of the largest group of teammates while you pick things up, but in old straight DM maps it was brutal.

Practicing to get better is important, but its not just the skills you're practicing. Its gaining of map knowledge.