On-Board video upgraded to ATI-AGP and it SUCKS. Help me figure what I missed...PLEASE.

JJd

Apr 20, 2000
My sister has a HP Pavillion 8500 with an onboard nVideaTNT2. I thought I was doing her and my nephew a favor by installing an ATI Rage/Fury 32mb AGP.
First, I went to bios and set the MB from PCI to AGP on the video.
Then I shut it down & installed the AGP card making sure it "clicked" nicely in its slot.
Next, installed the driver CD and followed instructions.
Restarted and it looks like crap. WHY? Please tell me what I did wrong.
I tried to set to 32 true color and 600 x 800 ect., however, ATARI looks better than this...:(:disgust:
Thanks for reading/helping in advance. JJd

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
did you uninstall the original drivers
reboot
set to standard agp display adapter
reboot
load the drivers for the rage card

good then you did just right;)

hope this helps
mike

JJd

Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Wolfsraider
did you uninstall the original drivers
reboot
set to standard agp display adapter
reboot
load the drivers for the rage card
good then you did just right;)
hope this helps
mike
Wouldn't setting the video from PCI to AGP disable the onboard video?

masterc

Feb 6, 2000
If it looks like "atari" it sounds like the computer does not have the drivers installed correctly.
Check out The Display properties in control panel, It sound detect the ATI rage card. If it just say standard VGA... then that is the problem.

JJd

Apr 20, 2000
Thanks eplebnista that is a great sight you provided. Looks like Wolfsraiderandmasterc where right about the driver. It needed to be updated. I didn't think it could look so poor since it never looked like that before the transplant. Thanks everyone. JJd

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
:eek: Erm, Rage128 is generally slower than TNT2 isn't it, although IQ should be better ... right? With GF2GTS/TI, GF4MX , Rad7500 and Rad9000 and cards being so cheap, of course more than a Rage128 but still only around $55 it would make a LOT of sense to go that route. Is gaming at all important, and what CPU does that HP have?