OMG...starting up DII LOD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
so far most of the MFers right now are hammerdin bots (all thanks to the creation of enigma). Apparently, it's a commonly place in the USwest and if not in other servers as well.

bloodlover

Oct 1, 2011
Anyone wanting to start from scrap on Bnet? Maybe a party of 4+ people if possible and we don't just rush like crazy through the game...

I have not played D2 since... forever...but I'd be willing to take the dust off my old CD's.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
I'm level 24, just beat Mephisto last night solo, pretty happy with that :) Gonna need some better EQ/more levels to beat Diablo though!

I'm playing on US East server

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I haven't played since 2006 but I thought Blizz Sorc was the best MF'er?
By the time you get to the late stages in hell mode, Frozen Orb won't do jack shit.

But like I said...I haven't played since 2006 so they may have changed a bunch of things in different patches.

Frozen Orb does fine against Hell mobs (that aren't invincible to cold), at least it did the last time I played, which was more recent than 2006 (2009 maybe? Dunno).

so far most of the MFers right now are hammerdin bots (all thanks to the creation of enigma). Apparently, it's a commonly place in the USwest and if not in other servers as well.

But they are hella expensive to equip. Cold sorc or cold/meteor sorc is the best way to go if you are just starting out (though I think cold/meteor sorc needs quite a few expensive charms to be effective, due to spreading out of the skill points and the way the skill trees work with lower level skills boosting the power of your higher level skills).

Last edited:

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Hammerdins aren't actually all that expensive to gear, or at least I've never had an issue getting them set-up. And Blizz Sorcs have always been the superior item runners, their damage is so crazy high and mobs have simple movement AI so its easy to lure them in 1 big pack into a rain of icy death. Orb was the more fun skill though, and usually better for PvP, but for mobbing usually not.

Also I preferred item running as a Barb when I start over, since with MF you can kill everything for drops, then loot their corpses for more drops. Usually don't get much but just a decent item here and there makes it all worth it.

Edit: Would like to mention that while Blizz Sorcs do more flat damage, the reason was a large part that it has so many Synergies whereas Orb only has 1 effective Synergy + Mastery, meaning you can spec into a Lightning or Fire skill for the few immunes/extremely resistant mobs you come against.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Hammerdins aren't actually all that expensive to gear, or at least I've never had an issue getting them set-up. And Blizz Sorcs have always been the superior item runners, their damage is so crazy high and mobs have simple movement AI so its easy to lure them in 1 big pack into a rain of icy death. Orb was the more fun skill though, and usually better for PvP, but for mobbing usually not.

Also I preferred item running as a Barb when I start over, since with MF you can kill everything for drops, then loot their corpses for more drops. Usually don't get much but just a decent item here and there makes it all worth it.

Edit: Would like to mention that while Blizz Sorcs do more flat damage, the reason was a large part that it has so many Synergies whereas Orb only has 1 effective Synergy + Mastery, meaning you can spec into a Lightning or Fire skill for the few immunes/extremely resistant mobs you come against.

Yeah, this is exactly how I remembered it too.
Frozen orb didn't do jack shit against Hell mobs in Act 4/5. It just slows the monsters for like a few second(That "slow" BTW would be more like their "normal" speed in Nightmare mode or a little slower than that) and didn't do not much damage.
Blizzard actually freezes the hell mobs and does significant damage.

Frozen orb was perfect for Normal, Nightmare, early Hell and Cow runs though. I can't imagine doing that again alone with a Blizzard Sorc without being rushed or leeching of EXP.

Most of the people that went the Frozen Orb route during my days were also branching to either the fire route to do Meteor or the lightning route to do Chain Lightning or Thunder.

I've never personally done PvP since I've owned Diablo II for over 10 years and I'm not interested in doing so. I'm a PvM guy to the core.
I did watch a few matches on the side lines though. Smithers, Whirlwind barbs, Windforce Zons, etc... I stopped watching PvP well before those fancy runewords came about so I never saw Hammerdins or Necros teleporting using Enigmas in PvP.

The Item Find Barb build was one I never got to. Whirlwind Barb was pretty cool, and so was the Concentrate/Bezerker or whatever build I forgot.

Man the memories...

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
woOoo amazon at 90. found some great gear for my merc, but he still dies like no tomorrow luls !

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
So I started up a zealadin, holy #$($ how fun was it. He's actually doing better than my bowazon.