OMG Snails are immortal!

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Holy crap!

In my tiny 10 gallon tank all my fish died last year because the heat in this room and because the pH of water was too low. (Now I have an air conditioner.) I've kept the water flowing the whole time thinking I'd put fish in the tank, but never did. A few months later my lone snail disappeared too. :( I had put some fish food in every few weeks just in case the snail was still alive, but stopped several months ago, because I hadn't seen the snail in months.

So basically, for several months, no new food was going in the tank. Furthermore in the last couple of weeks I've been putting in acid and base to get the pH balanced, and other chemicals, and was changing the water and stirring up the gravel, etc.

Today I put in some new fish and some fish food.

Suddenly, this afternoon, my little snail is back again! :Q Maybe s/he was just lonely? :p

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
10gallon tank.....

why not get a 55gal tank if you have the room and money

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Ummmm... You have a snail as a pet?

OK.....
Err... No, the fish. The snail was just to eat the fish poo and algae.

It was just depressed and lonely.
Heh, I edited my post with the same sentiments at the same time.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
That is surprising, normally snails are more fragile than fish, and thus serve as good indicators for adverse conditions in the tank. I have some hermit crabs in my tank, now those are survivors, a few months back, I bleached by rocks (stupid) and didn't get all the cholorine off, I went down stairs to admire my fish and all were dead except this large grouper I have in there, I saved him by transporting him to another tank, but the main tank smelled like a swimming pool, literally, really high chlorine levels. I put an entire bottle of the de-chlorinator in there added salt, and stabalized the ph, and put my grouper back in there, to my surprise the crabs were still alive, even though they had been living in chlorinated water for 3 days.

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: DaiShan
That is surprising, normally snails are more fragile than fish, and thus serve as good indicators for adverse conditions in the tank. I have some hermit crabs in my tank, now those are survivors, a few months back, I bleached by rocks (stupid) and didn't get all the cholorine off, I went down stairs to admire my fish and all were dead except this large grouper I have in there, I saved him by transporting him to another tank, but the main tank smelled like a swimming pool, literally, really high chlorine levels. I put an entire bottle of the de-chlorinator in there added salt, and stabalized the ph, and put my grouper back in there, to my surprise the crabs were still alive, even though they had been living in chlorinated water for 3 days.

Ouch! You evil eeeeeevvviiilll!!

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
Originally posted by: Beau6183
Originally posted by: Nemesis77 Ummmm... You have a snail as a pet? OK.....
I have several. They are very cool to watch.
I'm sure they are... Oh, to live an exciting life of a snail!

I didn't say exciting, just cool to watch. It is interesting to watch them feed on the algae that is growing on the walls of the glass, using their raspy tongue (I can't remember exactly what it is called).

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001

I didn't say exciting, just cool to watch. It is interesting to watch them feed on the algae that is growing on the walls of the glass, using their raspy tongue (I can't remember exactly what it is called).

Just pulling your chain, friend :). I can see the appeal of snails. I myself have had fish, lizards and turtles as pets, so having snails wouldn't really be that drastic change :)

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Just pulling your chain, friend :). I can see the appeal of snails. I myself have had fish, lizards and turtles as pets, so having snails wouldn't really be that drastic change :)

Goddamned europeans!!! Never know what they're saying ;) :p

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000

Goddamned europeans!!! Never know what they're saying ;) :p

hahaha