Omg I may get in trouble for this

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: Malak
If it's a public profile that lots of people use to login, it might have installed on a network drive and been set to run on any computer that logs in with that profile. Just let it go, nothing wrong with F@H.
http://www.freemcowen.com/

yes kids, there was a time when people liked dave mcowen

This explains his incredible bitterness. I don't frequent DC, so I had no idea.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
So what TeAm is your school crunching for?

Let your "computer guy" know. Ask him if it's okay to cover yourself.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: thescreensavers
I logged into HSlab which is an account at my school which has limited access so basically I put F@H folder in my music folder and launched it and then I put it in for start up and see what it can do in one day.

Now the next day I go check.I then erased it. Then I go on another computer and see that F@H is running. I am like WTF so I check 12 other computers under HSlab and they all have it!

What can I do...What would you do.. and how the hell did it spread like that?

F@H=[url="http://folding.stanford.edu/"]Folding at Home[/url]

hslab=High school lab

if you're in the state of Georgia, they'll come after you like they did that guy.

i dont have link. but basically they prosecuted him for stealing computer time at the tune of $250,000! or something stupid like that.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
I am the state below it. But its a privet school I go to so, I doubt they will prosecute me just suspend me or maybe nothing if I present my case well enough

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I logged into HSlab which is an account at my school which has limited access so basically I put F@H folder in my music folder and launched it and then I put it in for start up and see what it can do in one day.

Now the next day I go check.I then erased it. Then I go on another computer and see that F@H is running. I am like WTF so I check 12 other computers under HSlab and they all have it!

What can I do...What would you do.. and how the hell did it spread like that?

F@H=[url="http://folding.stanford.edu/"]Folding at Home[/url]

hslab=High school lab

I am the guy from Georgia some of the folks in here have been refering about.

I don't know how F@H spread by itself like that but make sure you go to your school officials right away and explain you did not mean for it to spread like it did.

Hell, they might be a progressive school and be OK with it but make sure they can't turn around and bite you in the ass later on.

To give you an idea of the seriouness, how bout sitting in jail with murderers and rapist's while facing 120 yrs in prison and nearly a million dollars in fines and restitution grab you?

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
I am the state below it. But its a privet school I go to so, I doubt they will prosecute me just suspend me or maybe nothing if I present my case well enough

How about spending time learning to spell?

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
After reading your grammar and spelling, they'll probably put you in an extra English class.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Someone probably took an image of the computer that you happened to install Folding @ Home on and propagated it on the network. Although, I've never heard of an IT department doing this with a computer (typically the images are saved on some external and not retrieved from another computer and then propagated). If I'm right, they probably thought the one you installed F@H on was the "cleanest" one or the one they designate as their master.