OMG! I just got mugged!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Get a second, empty wallet and chuck it a bit away from him then take off running. By the time he figures out all he got was a wallet, hopefully you're long gone, and even if you're within shooting distance he's probably not going to risk a murder charge at that point.

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: v3rrv3
Originally posted by: PipBoy
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Precisely why I want a concealed carry permit.

Glad to hear you're not hurt, but an even better ending would be you not hurt & the would be mugger dead.

:)

Viper GTS

in his situation a concealed gun wouldn't have helped him and may have ended up getting him killed.

You just gotta be smart :p Don't ask him if he wants the gun, give him the wallet. Wait till he starts to run away, then shoot him :p

- Kevin

That is not smart, that is murder. Once your life is no longer in danger, you may no longer shoot him.

Well, I guess some people can't take a joke, I didn't put :p in there for the fun of it. You'd have to be an idiot to shoot someone in the back and think that a court would side with you :X

- Kevin

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher
Even if you had a gun on your person my advise would be to give him the wallet.

Unless you have the gun already drawn your best bet is to just hand it over.

If you have a gun drawn you better be willing to lay that guy in the shade as soon as you feel an imminent danger. No trying to get him to back down.

Some might tell you to have a small secondary wad of cash to throw past the dude and when he turns to retrieve it make a hasty get away.

If you have a subcompact pistol in the small of your back how does the guy know you aren't getting it out?

That was the point. Gun in the back and your chances are low of getting off a kill shot. Hand him the wallet and hope for the best. If his first choice was to kill you, he wouldn't be asking for a wallet, he would be searching your body for a wallet.

I'm all for conceal carry, but there is a time to hold'em and a time to show'em.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

If you have a gun drawn you better be willing to lay that guy in the shade as soon as you feel an imminent danger. No trying to get him to back down.

Some might tell you to have a small secondary wad of cash to throw past the dude and when he turns to retrieve it make a hasty get away.

If you have a subcompact pistol in the small of your back how does the guy know you aren't getting it out?

That was the point. Gun in the back and your chances are low of getting off a kill shot. Hand him the wallet and hope for the best. If his first choice was to kill you, he wouldn't be asking for a wallet, he would be searching your body for a wallet.

I'm all for conceal carry, but there is a time to hold'em and a time to show'em.

Umm... if you act as if you are reaching for your wallet he is automatically at ease. Then you just cap him.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
How much money did you have in your wallet? I would have told him to go fck himself and thrown the wallet on the roof. If he wants to kill me for $20 he can have every cop looking for him.

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Couldn't you have quickly moved over to the driver's seat and speed away and/or run the guy over?

Panther505

Oct 5, 2000

Umm... if you act as if you are reaching for your wallet he is automatically at ease. Then you just cap him.

Some pistol points (can be viewed as CC pointers too)

1. A mugger is generally never at ease.
2. IF you have a weapon then you need to be prepared to fire when you are accosted. Dont' expect that you will pull the gun and then thief will run. Chances are whomever is most familar with their weapon WILL win.
3. Most cops and Troopers (at least that I know) are trained that if an assailant is less then 7 yards (21 feet ) from them with a weapon drawn to do one of 2 things:
A) submit to the perps instructions
B) move back rapidly and put an obstacle between you and the assailant as you draw your weapon and prepare to return or initiate fire as necessary
4. Most people could not draw and fire in a single motion and hit sh!t... IF you have a pistol and a holster then try it sometime. Take a target put it up at 9 feet, do 25 pushups, jump up draw your weapon and fire 5 shots at the target as fast as you can as soon as you have a sight picture. If you hit 1 in the 5 then you are a pretty good shot.

I have spent a lot of time with guns, shot at a lot of ranges (distances) and carried a CHG for several years. I have had reason to draw it 3 times and none of the 3 did I wish to. None of the instances turned out well for all involved

Chronos,

I am glad that you are OK, and I would talk to the apartment complex about motion lights on or around the carpark (even if you have to replace an outside light of theirs with a sensored one). Keep your head about you and hopefully you will never have a second occurance of this event

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The main thing is if you are going to carry a weapon you have to be prepared to use it.

So many people carry them and then have no idea what to do and end up hurting someone else.

Go to a pistol range, draw from where you will carry....fire upon someone at the distance you think they will be at. If you can't hit them accurately [assume every miss can be the killing of a innocent bystander] keep practicing.

If you are pulling out your pistol, you should also be firing it. There is absolutely no reason to pull a sidearm out if you are not going to have shells falling also. That said, the average criminal knows that 9 times out of 10 when a gun is pulled it is not 'really' going to be used.

About the killing someone over $20 thing above: here in west palm beach, florida there has been recent stories of people paid $20 to get a certain car, which later they were arrested for killing the owner over.

When I was mixed up in gang warfare junk, you could easily find a 'crackhead' that would do a hit for a bag of weed. I never did this, but I witnessed it.

I will tell you this, if I were robbing you and you did something and started running, by first instinct would be to shoot you first then figure out what you were up to, because if I was the victim and I had a weapon...the first thing I'd do would be to run, cover, then retaliate.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Just wait until he bends down to pick up the wallet that you tossed or wait until he turns to run, then cap him

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
so who can tell me what are the best ways to defend oneself?
i was thinking of purchasing some pepperspray or a taser of some sort.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
You can really only answer a gun with another gun, and you are already at a disadvantage if you have to draw in response to having a gun pointed at you. Pepper spray is mostly useful as a distraction so you have time to run to safety.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
keep in mind a lot of pro criminals/gangbangers practice with pepperspray and mace on themselves. A lot of them become unaffected

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
/sarcasm
It's the regular ol' wild west in here!! Looks like we got our Wyatt Earps, Doc Holidays, and Wild Bill Hickoks aplenty...welcome to ATOT where EVERYONE's a certified gunslinger! We got the quick-draw champs of the universe slingin their .45s and Desert Eagles...all able to bust a full clip into some thug in .54 seconds flat!! :Q
/end sarcasm

I hope most of you in this thread never carry a gun, you obviously don't know a thing. Panther and a few others look like they know what they're talking about. If some thug walks up to you, points a gun at you, and demands your wallet, I'd like to see you reach for your piece. It's pretty obvious you are going to get blasted. If you even got one aimed shot off, I'd be surprised. Maybe you could ask that thug if he'd like to have a 10-pace quick draw with you - a real man's contest. Winner takes wallet. :)

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Chrono

Taser is by far the best means of self defence if you can get a clear shot, there no becoming immune to it and it renders someone instantly inoperable, with the added bonus of being non-lethal! Of course the advantage of living in the UK though is that the chances of a mugger having a gun are about 1000-1, whereas American gun laws have created a wild and totally uncontrollabe gun society where even the lowliest bum can be lethally armed. :disgust:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It's not the American gun laws that cause the problems really, most guns used in crimes were stolen. It's mainly irresponsible Americans letting their weapons be stolen.

If you have a gun keep it locked. If you pack don't leave the weapon in you car unlocked. Don't just buy guns to collect / show off, buy a gun if you intend to protect yourself / hunt with it.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Richdog
Originally posted by: Chrono

Taser is by far the best means of self defence if you can get a clear shot, there no becoming immune to it and it renders someone instantly inoperable, with the added bonus of being non-lethal! Of course the advantage of living in the UK though is that the chances of a mugger having a gun are about 1000-1, whereas American gun laws have created a wild and totally uncontrollabe gun society where even the lowliest bum can be lethally armed. :disgust:

Totally uncontrollable gun society? Ask your average criminal if he's going to break into a house he knows has a competent firearm owner inside. ;)