OMG! I just got mugged!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
Damn...you live in alhambra? i live in sg. this sucks! the b@stard will get what he deserves.

GarlicBreath

Jan 11, 2002
Actually, you may be able to acquire a concelaed weapons permit in California, depending on where you live. California, unfortunately, is not a "shall issue" state, but rather a "may issue" state. I believe permit issuance is at the discretion of the the county sheriff, or some such official. Some areas are much more liberal with issuance than others.

See the following site for more info. Select "California" in the State CCW info field at the top left.

Glad you're alright. You were lucky, this time. It must be a horrible feeling to be completely at the mercy of one who blatantly ignores the law.

http://www.packing.org/

GarlicBreath

Jan 11, 2002
Actually, you may be able to acquire a concelaed weapons permit in California, depending on where you live. California, unfortunately, is not a "shall issue" state, but rather a "may issue" state. I believe permit issuance is at the discretion of the the county sheriff, or some such official. Some areas are much more liberal with issuance than others.

See the following site for more info. Select "California" in the State CCW info field at the top left.

Glad you're alright. You were lucky, this time. It must be a horrible feeling to be completely at the mercy of one who blatantly ignores the law.

GarlicBreath

Jan 11, 2002

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Sorry to hear about that. I had a car stolen about 10yrs ago, and to this day I still am very obsessive about checking everything out when I park, and return to see what's going on. And that was a car. I can't imagine how f-d up I'd be about checking everything out if I was mugged. I'm careful/cautious as it is, that would just make me obsessive compulsive.

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
i would have been "DVD's?"

"DVD's Nutz!"
HAHAAHAH

glad you are ok though.

i had a friend get mugged by 3 dudes w/bats. they wanted his money.

i took his wallet out, and said
"all i have is $2.00, my student ID, and a pic of my g/f. don't take the picture or my g/f will kill me."

AHAAHAHAH

they ended up taking the $2.00 and ran away.

AHAHAHHAAHHAHHHAH

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: neovan
Damn...you live in alhambra? i live in sg. this sucks! the b@stard will get what he deserves.

I live in alhambra!!! Where in san gabriel do you live?

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Precisely why I want a concealed carry permit.

Glad to hear you're not hurt, but an even better ending would be you not hurt & the would be mugger dead.

:)

Viper GTS

in his situation a concealed gun wouldn't have helped him and may have ended up getting him killed.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
sorry to hear that. I wish you would have had a gun and given him a bullet instead of your wallet

v3rrv3

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Originally posted by: PipBoy

Glad to hear you're not hurt, but an even better ending would be you not hurt & the would be mugger dead.

Viper GTS

in his situation a concealed gun wouldn't have helped him and may have ended up getting him killed.

You just gotta be smart :p Don't ask him if he wants the gun, give him the wallet. Wait till he starts to run away, then shoot him :p

- Kevin

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
hmmm some bad info...

it's hard to pack a DE...most that talk about them either would never carry or simply have one in a drawer they take out to impress others ;). It's a big gun, but not the gun I'd want to defend myself...I couldn't keep it concealed well (whether legal or not guns make others uncomfortable) and it doesn't give you very many rounds at only 7. The .357 would be a better choice I think it's closer to 10 rounds. There is a .44 version but I think it also packs only 7 rounds too.

You never, ever want to shoot someone walking or running away, in every state you will be found gulty of murder and/or attempted murder. It's no longer a threat if the threatening person is leaving. You also do not want to pull out your weapon and direct it at anyone as a threat...it's totally you in the wrong on any offensive move. Also carrying an empty pistol can get you in more trouble than if it was loaded, since an empty gun is considered to be carried for the sole purpose of threatening.

In Texas a man was recently convicted in a similar situation. In TX, you can defend your property, if he could have shot the thief in the act it would have been no problem, but the Texan confronted him and the thief took off and he pursued and then shot him.

If someone is coming up to you and you are packing and you feel threatened give a quick warning and prepare to open fire definitely...but don't pull on someone just coming up to you and don't tell someone you will shoot them if they approach.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
in these types of situations what exactly do you do? i mean, i guess theres nothing you can do. and cops usually dont do much. just have to accept losses. that sucks! isnt there some way we can protect against this!

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
in these types of situations what exactly do you do? i mean, i guess theres nothing you can do. and cops usually dont do much. just have to accept losses. that sucks! isnt there some way we can protect against this!

I say stiffer penalties for those who perform such acts against others. I don't have any numbers but it seems to me like very few muggers actually get caught and those who do may not get a horrible sentence. The criminals probably figure it is worth the risk. We need to make it so that they will not be willing to take the risk....like Chris Rock says, "it's kind of hard to steal again if you don't have a hand".

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
too bad our government is not willing to do such things! people who steal should have their hands cut off, rape - penises off, murder - should be killed too.

no one is asking these criminals to make them victims.

I say, an eye for an eye is good. this will teach people the consequences and strike fear in those who keep pursuing these illegal acts.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Exploding wallet anyone?

Yep, once the wallet is more than 50M from your waistband, BOOM!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sorry to hear of your losses. Last year I dropped my wallet and didn't realise this until the my bank called me the next afternoon. (It was a Friday night) They asked me about some suspicious charges. Their system flagged it because there were frequent charges from clothing stores and for liquor. The card has a $70k limit and I use it *exclusively* for online computer stuff. Too bad for them. AMEX was about the best to deal with, had a new card in three days. There was only a few gasoline preauthors on the AMEX. Apparently the thugs take them to gaspumps to see if the card is good then go shopping. :|

The kicker: NONE OF MY CARDS ARE SIGNED! I always show govt. photo ID and license. The POS clerks are at fault with that one!

-DAK-

BennyD

Banned
Sep 1, 2002
i'll bet he was dumb enough to use your card to fill up his own car

if he is they normally have cameras that can read the plates

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Even if you had a gun on your person my advise would be to give him the wallet.

Unless you have the gun already drawn your best bet is to just hand it over.

If you have a gun drawn you better be willing to lay that guy in the shade as soon as you feel an imminent danger. No trying to get him to back down.

Some might tell you to have a small secondary wad of cash to throw past the dude and when he turns to retrieve it make a hasty get away.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Squisher
Even if you had a gun on your person my advise would be to give him the wallet.

Unless you have the gun already drawn your best bet is to just hand it over.

If you have a gun drawn you better be willing to lay that guy in the shade as soon as you feel an imminent danger. No trying to get him to back down.

Some might tell you to have a small secondary wad of cash to throw past the dude and when he turns to retrieve it make a hasty get away.

If you have a subcompact pistol in the small of your back how does the guy know you aren't getting it out?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: v3rrv3
Originally posted by: PipBoy

Viper GTS

You just gotta be smart :p Don't ask him if he wants the gun, give him the wallet. Wait till he starts to run away, then shoot him :p

- Kevin

That is not smart, that is murder. Once your life is no longer in danger, you may no longer shoot him.