omg google was down for a few minutes

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I wonder what I'd notice if google vanished? I don't use their stuff, but they have their tentacles in everything. Losing amazon would probably be worse with all the web infrastructure.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It seems as though DuckDuckGo is the number two search engine these days, aside from Bing which nobody wants to use.

What about WebCrawler? :p

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Remember, when as a little boy, that was your goto in the context of little girls.

Now I'm not saying that Yahoo is the future but admit it. You'd still hit it.

We had Pacific Bell internet in the 90's...then they became Southwestern Bell...and affiliated with Yahoo. I got sick of that bullshit very quickly. Everything became Yahoo this, Yahoo that...even Yahoo mail. :shudder:

• Haha
Reactions: Charmonium

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It seems as though DuckDuckGo is the number two search engine these days, aside from Bing which nobody wants to use.

Netscape Navigator was pretty decent for a time.

Edit: Couldn't remember the name ..Alta Vista was another from the web crawler days.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Bing is okay in a pinch.... I'd certainly use it before resorting to Yahoo.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
AFAIK, the only two players are bing and google, and everyone else uses their results; sometimes adding a bit of secret sauce. There's some other engines, but they aren't competitive at all with regard to results.

edit:
forgot yandex, and I guess China has some in house search.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wow that's pretty crazy. Not sure if that would affect anything since everything inside the building would be on battery backup, but who knows maybe it did trigger some stuff to transfer to another DC and it had a delay.

A couple years back we lost a telephone exchange since someone doing maintenance accidentally shorted out the battery bank. :eek: Thankfully it was a smaller exchange but even then I'm sure that was spectacular. Those batteries are no joke and will make a wrench disappear if you cross the terminals. Nothing quite like taking a shower of molten metal.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Being in IT, god I can just picture the 'all-hands' meeting..... mgmt asking about the root causes, issue resolution, and preventive next steps.

Then follow-up calls until it's fully behind them.. ugh.

Jul 27, 2020
I'm amazed that we don't have distributed peer to peer search yet. Maybe someone here will steal my idea and make it a reality. Don't worry. I won't sue ya! :D

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
i've had outages that we were still having stupid meetings for 6 months later

I believe it.

-Document the finding in the sprint retrospective
-Revisit the documentation and the workflow to make sure everyone's on the same page
-Revisit again due to some small change in the documentation, repeat.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've had people call us for a RFO over a 2 second outage lol. Those can be a pain to trace I imagine. I don't work directly with that stuff, I just call someone, so not sure how far they truly go but I presume there are logs of sorts they can go back on. There was one recently where it went down for several hours and came back and logs said "low light". So something caused fibre to get enough light on the RX side but then it came back on it's own. At that point you pretty much just take arbitrary actions like change TX cards and hope it does not do it again. That's if you can even find a spare card. With the silicon shortage it's very hard to come by some of this equipment now. Also some of it is just old so there is less and less new old stock parts available.