OMG FFXI is so addicting.. edit: ffxi players unite!!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Qufim. Hit up the wormies and crabs. Wormies to 22ish, crabs can take you to 24ish. Then move on to giants and pugils in qufim, or venture into lower delkfutt tower for some goblin/bat/giant action. STAY AWAY FROM THE CHAOS IDOLS. 292 damage to everyone in the group isn't pretty ><. Around 26-27, batallia can give some pretty damn good xp. I got war to 30 there.

Baradak: currently 21/9 bard/whm
30war
21bard
12monk
11blm
9whm
6rdm

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Cool, thanks BigPoppa...is there any way to Solo for a while with some good rewards?

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
What BigPoppa said is about spot on for what I did. Having gobs kill themself and give you 200exp is awesome in Batallia.

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
As a 20rdm/???, you could prolly solo in valkurm a bit. En your weapon, debuff(dia, poison, paralyze) the mobs, yada yada. Stick to evens and toughs. Watch out for goblins, bomb toss will tear you up solo.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Well I broke, I decided that I am going to buy this game tomorrow, partly because I have some money on a fs gc, but partly because it looks pretty cool. So garuda is the server I should try to get in on? Many anandtech people playing there? Also what should I be? I am thinking that red mage sounds good for me, I want to be able to cast cool spells. What race should I be?

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Be Tarutaru or Mithra and start in Windurst...does anyone know if you can change citizenships? I hate being a San Dorian Citizen and would love to further the power of Windurst ;)

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ROTC1983
Be Tarutaru or Mithra and start in Windurst...does anyone know if you can change citizenships? I hate being a San Dorian Citizen and would love to further the power of Windurst ;)

The tarutaru look kinda funny though... if I am going to be tarutaru would it be better for me to be a black mage? Because if I am a hume I get more strength and am better able to weild an offensive weapon right? But if I were a black mage would I get wicked spells and a cool staff eventually?

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Ok, thanks imported...guess I better start saving. San Doria is kinda boring...I much prefer Windurst :) BTW, what would be better...RDM/THF or RDM/BLM...

IQJUMPuw

Feb 6, 2002
I would say RDM/BLM.

Oh man... I got this game like a week ago after my friend spent over 2 hours convincing me. Holy freaking crap!!! It's the best game ever. I was always making fun of people playing MMORPG's because it looked really boring. It took me a while to get used to it, but wow! It is sooo addicting!!! This is my first ever MMORPG experience and I'm already staying up all night with my friend playing this game. I'm a level 18 White mage and I've become pretty popular among warriors cuz I heal pretty well. :D I think I'm gonna pick black mage as my subjob until I can level up to 30 and change my subjob as summoner. AHhhhh~! I think I'm gonna go play it right now. Talking about it makes me wanna go play more. :)

I'm on RAMUH server and my game name is IQJUMPuw. So msg me if you wanna party with a good white mage.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Somebody should have made a server/player list so we all know who's playing on what server.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Ok well since I didnt know how the thing with the servers worked, I am on Shiva. Anyone else on shiva look for me under the name Zandrox.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Bump to see some more input from the ATOTFFXI players...as of right now, I have one of the keys needed to get the airship pass...only the one in Giddeus and the Plaborough mines to go.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Palborough is incredible easy to do.. took me 3 kills and we had two keys. Me and a lvl28 blm did the quest. Giddeus is pretty easy too... just took me forever to find a way to the plateau to get to the Yagudos you need to kill.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Is it just me or does anti aliasing not seem to work too well with this game? I am using a 9800 pro and the graphics should be silky smoothe but they dont seem to be... this is a directx based game right? what I mean is the shadows are jagged, the character is jagged...

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Yeah, from what I remember, AA does'nt work with this game...it doesn't look bad...but it doesn't look excellent either. Well, I got my airpass to Kazham and I am now a level 24 RDM with LVL 8 Thief...wish I had some more money though :) MIght go Ninja when I reach 30.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Don't do anti aliasing. What you can do to make the game look alot better is to raise the background resolution textures to a much higher resolution and imho, makes the game look much much better.

I've got the file that lets you change the registry key here if you would like to try it. (The max the regular config lets you set it is 512x512, this lets you set it up to 2048x2048.)

http://home.comcast.net/~a.baez/FFXIRezedits.zip

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ROTC1983
Yeah, from what I remember, AA does'nt work with this game...it doesn't look bad...but it doesn't look excellent either. Well, I got my airpass to Kazham and I am now a level 24 RDM with LVL 8 Thief...wish I had some more money though :) MIght go Ninja when I reach 30.

What race are you? And as for the comment about making the textures and everything higher, I have them all maxed out in the ffxi config. Oh also I have a character thats a lvl10 mithra, I was looking at monks and think that they seem pretty cool, should I make another character thats a elvaan monk? Also, is there any way to send money and other things from one character to another?

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Auction house has a delivery person where you can deliver to anyones inbox.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Originally posted by: abaez
Auction house has a delivery person where you can deliver to anyones inbox.

Thanks. I was able to do that I now have a level 5 Monk and a level 10 red mage. Think I will work on making the monk stronger. Are the auction houses on a particular server the same? Like if I put something for auction in Windurst and check with my other character in San doria will I be able to see that item? Should I put my other character on another server if possible?

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Auction houses are independent of other cities. All cities have their own auction houses which only people at that certain city can see the AH. You can "play" the AH if you have different characters in different cities by buying low in one city and selling high in another. And you cannot transfer anything over servers.