OMG FFXI is so addicting.. edit: ffxi players unite!!

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: abaez
Don't do anti aliasing. What you can do to make the game look alot better is to raise the background resolution textures to a much higher resolution and imho, makes the game look much much better.

I've got the file that lets you change the registry key here if you would like to try it. (The max the regular config lets you set it is 512x512, this lets you set it up to 2048x2048.)

http://home.comcast.net/~a.baez/FFXIRezedits.zip

Sweet, thanks Abaez :)

ROTC1983

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Atlantean
Originally posted by: ROTC1983
Yeah, from what I remember, AA does'nt work with this game...it doesn't look bad...but it doesn't look excellent either. Well, I got my airpass to Kazham and I am now a level 24 RDM with LVL 8 Thief...wish I had some more money though :) MIght go Ninja when I reach 30.

What race are you? And as for the comment about making the textures and everything higher, I have them all maxed out in the ffxi config. Oh also I have a character thats a lvl10 mithra, I was looking at monks and think that they seem pretty cool, should I make another character thats a elvaan monk? Also, is there any way to send money and other things from one character to another?

I am playing Mithra...they seem to fit all the jobs I am going to do :)

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Anyone know if there are any programs or scripts that will allow you to bid the lowest price on an auction? Cause every time I put something up for auction someone always bids that price for it... ie I put a lot of fire crystals up for 1667 and someone bid that price. Is there a way to find out what the lowest auction price for the item is?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Atlantean
Anyone know if there are any programs or scripts that will allow you to bid the lowest price on an auction? Cause every time I put something up for auction someone always bids that price for it... ie I put a lot of fire crystals up for 1667 and someone bid that price. Is there a way to find out what the lowest auction price for the item is?

Wow, that's strange. I never get that. If something is going for 500gil, i'll put mine for 490 or so, and i'll get it bid for 500. I can't see how the hell anybody could possibly bid exactly 1667.. would they be going up 1 gil at a time in their bidding?! Seems doubtful.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
this game gets way better once you get in a ls and make some friends in the game. Currently I am a lvl 14 mnk probably sometime tomorrow will work on getting him to 15 only 600xp away so wont be hard. I am on Fenrir, and have found a few good ways to make money... people bid stupid at ah. Probably played for about 5 hours today with the same people we had a good party.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: SALvation
I'm off to buy the game tonight. Hope to see some of you out there.

So which server did you end up getting on?

To update.. 36RDM[1.4 away from 37]/17BLM.

IQJUMPuw

Feb 6, 2002
I can't stop playing this game. Gosh... I didn't know MMORPG's were this addicting.
My summoner just turned level 22 and because I'm playing my level 30 WHM as a subjob, all the magic skill points are maxed out. As soon as I got Cure II, I was healing 88HP. Yes!
Once my summoner hits level 25, I'm gonna switch back to my WHM as level it up to 50 or something.

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
Yesterday I started taking FFXI messages out of context and I realized how wrong everything sounded. Took me a good 10 mins. to stop laughing. For instance:

After a PLD was asking for an okay on a BeastRider pull, MNK says:
Only thing he'll be riding is my fist.

Also:
Can I magic burst myself?
Uh...only if you do it in your own moogle home.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The thing that really bothers me about FFXI is how strict the levels are. I knew they were strict in the beginning, that if you're 12, grouping with a 15-16 is pretty much worthless, but i figured it would get better higher up. BUT IT DOESN'T. Infact it gets worst. Once you're post 40, and especially post 50, even a ONE lvl difference makes a HUGE difference on how well you perform in the group (except for mages).

I can't imagine how well alliances will work when a single level makes a difference in how well you perform against a mob. And imagine Limbo, the new expansion that will require multiple alliances working together.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
I have the game and am going to install it since my frineds recommend it...

Do u need a fast connection to EFFECIENTLY play?

what are the REAL system requirments?

is it reall that fun..i played eq for about 3 years..i ahd fun in that but i kept going on and off of it.

14 bucks really inst that much considering how much time you will play it. Think about it...in the time you might be playing this game you might be out seeing a movie..thats 8 bucks right there....14 bucks a month is worth it i think for the fun...really thats less then a buck a day...and if you play atelast an hour a day..its well worth it.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
oh yeah..is it true that you cant pick there server you want to play on? i heard that you have to keep creating yoru character untill you are randomly put ont he server your friend in choice is.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
They did a good job of the network protocol, I hear that people on dialup can actually do okay. So a slow cable connection will be more than fine.

I played on a radeon 8500LE, duron 1.2 system with 384 megs of ram and it was barely tolerable with settings on low. It got jumpy when anything was going on. In retrospect, I think if I had a better system I wouldn't have quit after the trial was over.

You can't just pick your server. You can keep re-creating your character but it randomly assigns you to servers weighted by how populous each of the servers is. So, if your friends are on a popular server then it's hard to do it randomly. But, they can put down ~1000 gil to get you on (not that much for someone level 10+).

The problem is that if you're playing in order to play with your friends, they'd pretty much have to start over if they wanted to team with you. And with all the work it requires to get to higher levels, people aren't always willing to do so.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Hardcore
The thing that really bothers me about FFXI is how strict the levels are. I knew they were strict in the beginning, that if you're 12, grouping with a 15-16 is pretty much worthless, but i figured it would get better higher up. BUT IT DOESN'T. Infact it gets worst. Once you're post 40, and especially post 50, even a ONE lvl difference makes a HUGE difference on how well you perform in the group (except for mages).

I can't imagine how well alliances will work when a single level makes a difference in how well you perform against a mob. And imagine Limbo, the new expansion that will require multiple alliances working together.

Levels are not strict at all. It's a sliding scale. If there is a 4 level difference the lowest person will get maybe 20 exp less than the highest one. I've grouped with people 4 levels higher than me, and yes I get less exp per fight but when there are no pt's you take what you can get. After 5 levels the difference gets big (around 30 exp) and is usually not worth it. If worthless by you at level 12 getting 100 exp while the lvl 16 in your pt gets 120 then good luck finding a party later on.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: abaez
Originally posted by: Hardcore

Levels are not strict at all. It's a sliding scale. If there is a 4 level difference the lowest person will get maybe 20 exp less than the highest one. I've grouped with people 4 levels higher than me, and yes I get less exp per fight but when there are no pt's you take what you can get. After 5 levels the difference gets big (around 30 exp) and is usually not worth it. If worthless by you at level 12 getting 100 exp while the lvl 16 in your pt gets 120 then good luck finding a party later on.

Um what level are you at? If you had read my post, i'm talking about the high end game. And it's not only about experience, but about how well you fight against the mobs. A single level makes a HUGE difference when you're fighting post 50 mobs.

And BTW, a level 12 and a level 16, the experience will be MUCH different than 100xp vs 120xp. More like 35xpvs. 120xp.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
It really depends on the mob you're fighting.. If the highest level person cons the mob at VT[very tough], then he'll get the highest EXP and it'll trickle down even if someone 1-2 levels lower cons the same mob as IT[incredibly tough]. For example, I can kill something that cons too weak to be worthwhile, but say someone in my PT is 10 levels less and it cons IT, he won't get any EXP since I didn't get any EXP.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Imported
It really depends on the mob you're fighting.. If the highest level person cons the mob at VT[very tough], then he'll get the highest EXP and it'll trickle down even if someone 1-2 levels lower cons the same mob as IT[incredibly tough]. For example, I can kill something that cons too weak to be worthwhile, but say someone in my PT is 10 levels less and it cons IT, he won't get any EXP since I didn't get any EXP.

I know, but there isn't any situation when somebody in the group gets 125xp, and somebody 4 level lower only gets 100xp. Even on an IT mob to the higher level player, and even if he gets 200xp, the person 4 level lower will only get approximately 100xp... 125xp depending on how IT the mob really was.

But that's not the point of my post. Point of my post is that when you're talking about post 50-60 groups, you won't see parties with more than a single level of level difference, because the mobs are that much more difficult, that a single level greatly affects how well you perform against it. If you're in a level 60 group, and you're fighting a 62 mob, if you're 59, you won't do any damage to it. You'll literally be doing 0-2 dmg hits (that's if you even actually hit the mob. Bards become the most highly sought class in the highend game because of the attack/accuracy songs. They even surpass WHM in importance, because you can always replace a WHM with a RDM with a big MP, but nobody can replace the bard's songs). But once you hit 60, you can effectively start doing damage to the mob. Are none of you guys reaching those levels yet? Even just at 40 you start seeing this pattern. Ask any high level player in the game, and they'll tell you the same thing. That's also why static PTs are so important in this game, but also why so many people are leaving it. When you can't keep up with your SPT, even just a single level, you're pretty much worthless to them. My LS help powerlevel each other all the time because somebody would fall behind a couple of thousand of xp, and need to make it up before they can group together again.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Imported
Hey, I found a cool profile thing for your characters if you wish to do it.. here's mine :)

Sekaran

I don't play this game, but... "Justice Badge" you should kick your own ass for being such a dork. :p

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Oh my god, when you get to jeuno levelling becomes so much faster than it was in the dunes. I just got to jeuno on thursday and I have hit lvl 25 in that time. Oh and I did my chocobo quest while attaining that lvl. And its so easy to get a party in jeuno I dont even need to have my flag up and I get invites, and I am a mnk/war.