OMG did Mr.Lucas screw himself up with the star wars chronology??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Horus
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Well remember R2's memory was wiped. The only reason he remembered Obi-Wan was because Leia sent him with a message for Obi-Wan. His memory was wiped, he was just playing messenger.

I never really thought about Chewbacca mentioning that he knew yoda. That would be nice to know.

As for Leia saying she remembers her mother. She didn't yet know that she was adopted. Remember after she he said "Do you remember your mother-your real mother". Then she said her piece and then he said "I have no memory of my mother". Additionally he then lets her know that Vader is his father, and that there he has a sister. So in her mind Bail Organa's wife was her real mother.

Vader: Remember he has no real limbs. He lost both of his legs, and both of his arms. The only arm that didn't get cut off in EPIII was his already prosthetic arm. So i would assume in order to make him more menacing, they would make him a bit taller.

-Kevin

Ok, you made some serious errors there.

First off, Only C-3P0 lost his memory

Bail Organa: Wipe the Protocol Droid's Memory.

Second, Vader lost one arm, and both legs. He still has one real arm left.

i'm pretty sure vader has no real limbs... the only "limb" left at the end of episode III was the one that got cut off in episode 2 and was already prosthetic

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
because Luke was trying to become a Jedi. Chewbacca might come out and say "I knew a Jedi Master once!" Or, something to that effect.

Exactly. He MIGHT come out and say it. He didn't, that we know of. Maybe he said it to Han at some point - do you understand Wookie? Maybe he never said it. That's not a plot hole.

Hey - here's a plot hole. None of the characters in the Star Wars universe ever take a dump. Am I to assume they never need to relieve thelmselves??? They also rarely eat or drink!! WTF!!!

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Well remember R2's memory was wiped. The only reason he remembered Obi-Wan was because Leia sent him with a message for Obi-Wan. His memory was wiped, he was just playing messenger.

I never really thought about Chewbacca mentioning that he knew yoda. That would be nice to know.

As for Leia saying she remembers her mother. She didn't yet know that she was adopted. Remember after she he said "Do you remember your mother-your real mother". Then she said her piece and then he said "I have no memory of my mother". Additionally he then lets her know that Vader is his father, and that there he has a sister. So in her mind Bail Organa's wife was her real mother.

Vader: Remember he has no real limbs. He lost both of his legs, and both of his arms. The only arm that didn't get cut off in EPIII was his already prosthetic arm. So i would assume in order to make him more menacing, they would make him a bit taller.

-Kevin

Ok, you made some serious errors there.

First off, Only C-3P0 lost his memory

Bail Organa: Wipe the Protocol Droid's Memory.

AFAIK both droids had there memory wiped.

Vader did not have his real arm left. Remember when he was clawing his way back up the side towards Obi-Wan. You could easily tell that was his fake arm and not his real one.

-Kevin

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Kremlar
because Luke was trying to become a Jedi. Chewbacca might come out and say "I knew a Jedi Master once!" Or, something to that effect.

Exactly. He MIGHT come out and say it. He didn't, that we know of. Maybe he said it to Han at some point - do you understand Wookie? Maybe he never said it. That's not a plot hole.

Hey - here's a plot hole. None of the characters in the Star Wars universe ever take a dump. Am I to assume they never need to relieve thelmselves??? They also rarely eat or drink!! WTF!!!

remember, they are NOT humans! they exist in a galaxy far far away, so maybe they don't have to poo?

imported_DocHolliday

Nov 19, 2004

Go see the movie again there bub, he lost both arms....

One thing that we are all forgetting about Chewbacca. As far as he knows that little green guy we know so fondly as yoda is dead. Yoda told only Obi-Wan and IIRC Bail Organa where he was going.

-Kevin

what's your point?

Kremlar

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
remember, they are NOT humans! they exist in a galaxy far far away, so maybe they don't have to poo?

Well, in book 4 of the Wookie Annihilation Series they clearly mention Luke & Leia's son's schoolmate taking a crap, so they must!!!

LOL

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Joemonkey

I just want to know how Leia knew about Obi-Wan existing period in order to send him a message...

why do you think senator organa(jimmy smits) had a role in ep3?..he adopted leia and took her to alderaan.
from A New Hope:
"General Kenobi, Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person; but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to Alderaan has failed. I've placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope."

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: bentwookie
Originally posted by: Joemonkey

I just want to know how Leia knew about Obi-Wan existing period in order to send him a message...

why do you think senator organa(jimmy smits) had a role in ep3?..he adopted leia and took her to alderaan.
from A New Hope:
"General Kenobi, Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person; but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to Alderaan has failed. I've placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope."

ah thanks! I forgot the entire message, i guess i'm confused on how jimmy smits knew where obi-wan had gone?

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: geecee
I believe there was a scene in the original trilogy (ep. VI, I think) where Obi-Wan says something to Luke to the effect of 'When I first met your father, he was a already a great pilot.' It seemed as if Obi-Wan had met him when he was much older, not when he was 7, and his piloting experience was winning a pod race and accidentally getting into a fighter and getting lucky enough to blow up a Trade Federation cruiser. As someone else has pointed out here, I guess some plot inconsistencies are inevitable.

why don't you get your facts straight..this is exactly what he said...

LUKE: You fought in the Clone Wars?

BEN: Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father.

LUKE: I wish I'd known him.

BEN: He was the best star-pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior.
I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself. And he was a
good friend. Which reminds me...

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002

-Kevin

Actually, in Episode III, only C3PO's memory was wiped: "Wipe the protocol droid's memory" is the actual quote, nothing mentioned about the R2 droid.
Also, how would Chewie even know to mention Yoda? It's not like Yoda leaves Dagobah, nor does Luke ever mention Yoda anywhere when he's around Chewie. He would probably assume that he was dead with the rest of the Jedi.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I like how R2-D2 has magical powers in EP3 that are never used at all ever in the rest of the films.

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: CVSiN
Originally posted by: DAGTA
Originally posted by: jonnyGURU
Originally posted by: DAGTA
There wasn't only one R2-D2 droid made in the Star Wars galaxy.

Model R2. There were other R2 units. But I think only one D2.

No, there were definitely much more.

Compare it to cars. The Civic is a model of Honda. There are subclassifications, EX, DX, etc. There wasn't only one of each subclass produced each year.

R2 = model = D2 = designation there is only 1 R2 D2
driods are named .. they are Aware beings with AI..
all designations are unique..
there are many R2 units but there is only one designated R2 D2..

do you remember pets you had 20 years ago? I don't.

CrispyFried

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
I like how R2-D2 has magical powers in EP3 that are never used at all ever in the rest of the films.

Just wait till Lucas releases another "special edition" of eps 4-6 on disk.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation

such as?

oh i dunno, rockets that come out and fly him around, oil squirting

UTmtnbiker

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2000
Just to delve that much deeper into nerd-dom...

In ESB, when Luke and R2 land on Dagobah, or however you spell "swampy armpit planet", Yoda takes the fleshlight, errr, flashlight out of Luke's kit. Assuming R2's memory hasn't been wiped, which I don't think it has (as many have stated in Ep 3, Jimmy Smits only tells the captain to wipe the protocal droid's memory), you'd think R2 wouldn't freak out about a Jedi master that he's met about touching and taking Luke's fleshlight.

It's ALL ABOUT THE FLESHLIGHT!

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: UTmtnbiker
Just to delve that much deeper into nerd-dom...

In ESB, when Luke and R2 land on Dagobah, or however you spell "swampy armpit planet", Yoda takes the fleshlight, errr, flashlight out of Luke's kit. Assuming R2's memory hasn't been wiped, which I don't think it has (as many have stated in Ep 3, Jimmy Smits only tells the captain to wipe the protocal droid's memory), you'd think R2 wouldn't freak out about a Jedi master that he's met about touching and taking Luke's fleshlight.

It's ALL ABOUT THE FLESHLIGHT!

R2 runs that fighter. R2 is possessive of his fighter and all the gear on it.

Besides, I'm sure there are other trolls in the universe, and R2, if his memory were indeed intact, would remember that all the Jedi were pwnt. He was never informed that Yoda was fleeing to Dagobah.

DPmaster

Oct 31, 2000
Yes there too many incongruities and plotholes to be ignored between the classic trilogy and the prequel trilogy. HOWEVER, there is a very good reason for this (one that a lot of people seem to ignore or forget).

You have to remember when the original movies were made. When George Lucas made the first trilogy, he didn't know if he was ever going to make the sequel/prequel movies. He wasn't even 100% sure he was going to be able to make "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi". What if "A New Hope" had tanked in the theaters and Fox wouldn't greenlight the two sequels? He had to make a movie with the least amount of confusion for people to watch.

That's why you don't see any references to Qui Gon, podracing, Darth Maul, midi-chlorians, etc. Can you imagine Obi Wan mentioning to Luke, "Yeah I remember how I met your father. He helped get Qui Gon, Padme (your real mother btw), R2D2, and me off this planet by podracing. Oh did you know midi-chlorians live within you and help you communicate with the force. How do I know this? Qui Gon can sum it up the best. He's my former master whom I was an apprentice under. He's also the ghost that's been my company for 20+ years ever since I brought you, YES YOU LUKE, to this very planet! It's unfortunate he had to die though. He was killed by Darth Maul, a Sith with a double-edged lightsaber." You can see the mass amounts of confusion this would cause. He had to make "A New Hope" act like a standalone movie. Lucas had a little more freedom with "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" but people could watch the original trilogy and not have too many unanswered questions.

Now that Lucas knows that people are actually interested in Star Wars, he has free rein over creativy/complexity of the Star Wars universe. He can introduce characters, concepts, etc at will because he can always explain them later on if he chooses. This is evident in the prequel trilogy as he mentions characters we never see such as Sifa Dias (the one who ordered the Clone Army) and Darth Plagus.

Watch any movie with several sequels and you will almost always see that the first movie fits a mold in that they work as standalone movies and don't leave too many moviegoers bewildered after leaving the theater. The sequels are the ones that try to add more depth, mystique, and questions to the franchise. Look at movies like the Matrix for example. The only multi-movie franchises that don't fit this mold are the ones that are 100% sure that there will be sequels. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a perfect example.

The only thing I can fault Lucas on is that some of the explanations in the prequel trilogy seem forced. Almost like he was trying too hard to tie the trilogies together. Including Chewbacca in Episode 3 is a good example. But like I said again, he couldn't include this information into the original trilogy as that would be too confusing for moviegoers.

People who complain about loopholes and the people who try to excuse those loopholes with crazy explanations need to know that sometimes not everything can be or should be explained. It's sometimes better to just let it go. The last thing I need is 10,000 Star Wars fans giving me 10,000 different reasons why Obi Wan doesn't recall R2D2 or why Princess Leia recalls remembering her mother (even though she died giving birth).

jelkukipik

Feb 9, 2005
Originally posted by: jelkukipik
Whereee are the proffe? i think lucas try to scrw us by making a fattass triplogy with n sence at all

r2>obiwan>leia

OMG I WAS SOOO DRUNK YESTERDAY NIGHT HAHA :laugh:

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Mad Max, Max meets that pilot. In beyond thunderdome AFTERWARDS he has no idea who the same guy is!

yeah, he's the gyro captain in mad max 2:the road warriors isn't it?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Kremlar

C'mon... remember the horrible seen with Jar Jar grabbing the food with his tongue? Or, Anakin floating a piece of fruit across the table? At least Lucas was kind enough to spare us from more of those types of scenes.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: geecee
I believe there was a scene in the original trilogy (ep. VI, I think) where Obi-Wan says something to Luke to the effect of 'When I first met your father, he was a already a great pilot.' It seemed as if Obi-Wan had met him when he was much older, not when he was 7, and his piloting experience was winning a pod race and accidentally getting into a fighter and getting lucky enough to blow up a Trade Federation cruiser. As someone else has pointed out here, I guess some plot inconsistencies are inevitable.

why don't you get your facts straight..this is exactly what he said...

LUKE: You fought in the Clone Wars?

BEN: Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father.

LUKE: I wish I'd known him.

BEN: He was the best star-pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior.
I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself. And he was a
good friend. Which reminds me...
What you said is all fine, except it is from ep. IV (ANH). The line I was referring to was from ep. VI (ROTJ) which (now that you've challenged me to look) was:

BEN: When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong. My pride has had terrible consequences for the galaxy.
That was the line I was referring to and I assure you that it was quite correct. :)

Anyway, poor Qui-Gon (like the older Vader actor who was edited out at the end of ROTJ) appears to be lost to history.