OMFG Video Game Violence....

Comp625

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Omg I just watched the news and Kmart is starting this little thing where you need a proof of age (like a license kinda thing) in order to buy violent computer games. Wtf, doing this will only encourage the growth of warez and decline the sales of computer games.

Buddha Bart

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
can't say I have any problem with it.
A parent should have the right to some control over what their kid spends their free time doing/viewing.

bart

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Yawn. The demographics show that the majority of Quake, Doom, etc. players are 17 and up. And how many people buy their games from K-Mart anyways? I always go to Kay-Bee Toys or Best Buy, or the like :p

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Even though I'm 18, I'm completly against this.

If a parent wants control over what their kids play, they should either be the ones buying the games, or they should watch their own kids and explain to them the difference between violence in games, and violence in the real world.

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
Given a choice between having to prove age or having games censored out of existence, it's, "Let's see some ID, kid.", for me.

I'm 33 and I'm soooooooooo tired of having my fun stepped on because of "the children".

Like the Red September song "Killjoy" says:

They say it's for the children
I say, "Hey, man...F*ck the children!"
Cuz life's too short for rules
Regulations and dirty tricks"

Comp625

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2000
Even though you buy from other stores like you say, the damned thing is Kmart is trying to influence other stores from doing so as well. This sucks because here in my little town, I see kids going to KayBeetoys or CompUSA buying computer games and/or video games w/o parents. So doing this little restriction will decline sales greatly, at least based on the observations I have seen throughout my town. Heck, I go and buy games using my own money myself alot of times and I'm 15.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's nothing really new. WalMart has been on a moral brigade for years.

They refuse to sell albums w/ "dirty" words or obscene pictures, they have been one of the very few companies that require you to show some ID when buying an R Rated movie, and they also refuse to sell "mature" video games.

A lot of companies do this for the publicity. It seems to be working.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< WalMart has been on a moral brigade for years. >>

At the behest of Sen. Joseph &quot;Censor it&quot; Lieberman. Kmart now, eh? Best Buy is next? Then all others to follow?

Do you feel this is a tool parents can use to help raise their kids? Or is it a government sponsored mechanism parents can use as another substitute for parenting?

This lone incident looks harmless on the surface. But could Nessie be lurking underneath??? :eek:

ForeverSilky

Banned
Apr 6, 2000
and they also refuse to sell &quot;mature&quot; video games.

There are plenty of M rated games at the walmart by my house.

Imannewbie

Sep 6, 2000
Hmm. I'm already 20 and I really want to say something about this.

People are really dumb, Games like the famous Quake Series, I think anyone that own a computer even someone that don't have a computer should either heard/played it before.

And why is that only US, yes, United States, the country we live in, got those gun problems? and people problems.

Like the School shooting, I don't think I see other country that got this problems. and I think that almost every country on this earth got this kind of games. but why I don't see any other country got some really special news like our country do?

why don't people and those smart parents think of, do they spend enough time on how to teach the kids?

Does The government given out enough funds to the schools? Or put more ads on TV or any other source that saying gun is no good or something like that? I know they did. but just not enough.

And I travel a lot to other countries and I usually stay in that place at least for 3 months. I can't say I knew everything about them but at least I think I knew some. For example, when I go to even Paris, those kids and people there are really really complelety different to us. People speaks nicely, acts nicely. Sigh, there's a lot we need to learn from other country.

Also why our country can sell GUNS? and I read that people Object about banning all the guns because they said they can't protect themself anymore. when I read that I was like WTF. seriously.

I mean if I can't buy a gun = I can't protect myself, maybe you're right. but how come there are still so many crimes in the states? I don't see any drops in crime rate even we're the only country that can buy guns legally.

And compare to other countries, people can't buy guns, but most of those countries even have lower crime rates then us!

This is really something I don't understands. and some people even said I got the Freedom and Rights to have my own Weapon/Gun. Yeaaa, Freedom and human rights is good, but it really depends on what you want to do with it.

I play gun when I was little, and I play all first person or third person shooter on PC too. So ? Did I took a gun and shot someone else?

Those Parents and some source keep on blaming the games just because they don't have anything else or they don't want to admit that in fact they never think about did they do anything wrong.

How many hours you spend your time with your kids? You're a parent, you should teach your kids to walk the right path. Not just working, then bring some money home then sleep and kids don't feel hungry, this isn't what a parent only thing to do. Learn from the other countries!

So, ask for some sort of license when buying some games is TOTALLY useless. We should try to spend more time on improving something else. Don't just sit here and blame on the games saying it teach our kids bad.

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Don't they realize non-fck-up kids like me aren't warped by videogame violence?

I was playing Wolfenstien 3D when it was released. I was playing Blake Stone shareware when it was released. I was playing Doom 1 shareware when it was released. I was playing Doom 2 when it was released. I was playing Quake 1 when it was released. I'm 16 now, meaning I was 8 when I first played Wolfenstein, and guess what? No human has lost their life from a crazy shooting spree from me.

Sure when I was a kid I played war and cool stuff like that with plastic guns, but never did I even think of using real weapons and such. And guess what? Alot of other normal kids did too. Why don't people realize this?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If you think this is bad, move to germany or singapore where the government prohibits games that have excessive violence.

I think it's germany where the game Half Life has green goo instead of blood.

That's right. The developers had to change the artwork so that when you whacked somebody in the head, it had some green snot fly out instead of blood red...well blood.

Imannewbie

Sep 6, 2000
What's the differnets between Kill someone with a knife and kill someone with a gun?

Well there are some differents but still kill somebody

I think we should Ban all games!

No more games!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I can't live without it !!!
(......girlfriend coming into my room.....don't let her know I post this.......I told her I can't live without you before....sheesh)

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Germany has the laws for a reason though - the whole World War 2 Nazi stuff.

Thats it really. Heck, Wolfenstein was banned there. It is mainly because of their violent past.

Dunno about singapore though... doesnt really matter though since pirated games have better sales than the actual copies there.

jeremy806

May 10, 2000
Hey all,

I really don't care what a store does, as long as the government is not involved in censoring video games.

If K-mart wants ID, fine. Kid, go home and come back with a parent.

jeremy806

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Well, until alot of parents start watching their kids a little better, this trend will continue. Unfortunately, while I do not feel violent games causes kids to turn that way, it does not help kids who already have problems. The laws involving the welfare of children have to be fixed, so they can be removed from homes or situations that are damaging, before it is too late to help them. This is just another band aid on the problem.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Really? This gives me an excuse to laugh at the manager/cashier when he tells me that. &quot;Ok sir, as I see it there are 2 possibilities. You will either a) sell it to me, or b) I will download it for free. Your choice.&quot;

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Girl Friday is correct, a lot of these types of laws and other restrictions (such as closed campus) are poor attempts at replacing good parenting.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
What about video game demos that are freely downloaded off the 'net?

Any kid can do that, and I don't believe the gore, strong language and violence has been cut out of the demo. I remember downloading &quot;Kingpin&quot; as a demo - that is certainly an &quot;adult&quot; game.