OMFG check out what my dad just brought home!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Besides, 40-inch Sony Wega owns Jo0, Baby
WRONG!!!

I have a 40" sony HDTV tube and also a 65" mits HDTV.

the mits blows the poor sony out of the water. Both have been fully tweaked.

While I've never owned a RPTV, I've watched plenty. Most of them suck when you're seated anywhere but directly in front of and in the top-to-bottom-sweet spot. If you try to view it from an angle, the picture goes black. :p

Now, your Mitsu may be different. If so, educate me, please as a large TV is in my future in mid 2003.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: arod
Mines Better ;)

|
|
|
V
-------------------------
My Home Theater (Website under construction)

you rich bastard guy!

Yeah well I just got a 43" widescreen PLASMA HDTV so THERE!!

you rich bastard guy you you!!

oh yeah? goronath has a crazy home entertainment thing...i'll see if i can post those soon...beware...his is insane....so huge...so loud....so nice....arg i'm not into this stuff much so i donno the specs...pm goronath if u wanna knw...

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I love my Sony 51 inch HDTV...once you watch DVDs on one of thse you can't go back to crappy 4:3 TVs.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Shiva112
I love my Sony 51 inch HDTV...once you watch DVDs on one of thse you can't go back to crappy 4:3 TVs.

Yes, you're right. But regular TV, which I watch just as much as DVDs, looks like crap on a 16.9. You either stretch the picture so the people look like genetic experiments gone horribly wrong, or you burn up the CRTs by not using the whole screen (big black bars on the sides) Blech.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
Originally posted by: Shiva112

Yes, you're right. But regular TV, which I watch just as much as DVDs, looks like crap on a 16.9. You either stretch the picture so the people look like genetic experiments gone horribly wrong, or you burn up the CRTs by not using the whole screen (big black bars on the sides) Blech.

Thats because regular TV is crap...you put crap in and you'll get crap out. There's no getting around that. HDTV is the future, more and more local stations have begun offering it. Once the cable companies get off their ass you'll see more widely distributed HDTV. Then there will be no reason to keep 4:3 around.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: NewSc2
Originally posted by: Stark
Wow, there are a lot of people who spend way too much money on TVs.

what else do you spend money on? cars? computers?

Ditto!

I don't like any RPTV as I live in England unless your wealthy your house just won't be big enough to have one! Houses in the states are bigger.

I'd much rather have a Plasma screen then a RPTV. Prices aren't too bad in the UK. You can get a 42" plasma for £2,500 ~ $3.750 for a good picture but low end model. Goes to £5k for a dam AMAZING Pioneer 42" one. And up to £8,000 for a 50" model.

My dad is SERIOUSLY thinking of getting a plasma for £2,500:D that would be SWEET.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Cost $2k

While I've never owned a RPTV, I've watched plenty. Most of them suck when you're seated anywhere but directly in front of and in the top-to-bottom-sweet spot. If you try to view it from an angle, the picture goes black

You have either been looking at old TVs or looked at them a long time ago. The days of having poor viewing angles are a thing of the past. I watch a lot of dvd's and they look amazing on this. I stretch normal tv to fit in the 16:9 and unless I point out where the stretching is nobody would notice.

EDIT: In fact here is a old angle shot PIC