Olympic National Park - where to stay?

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Been looking at Olympic National Park in Washington State. Looks completely freakin' awesome. Would love to take a few days to explore it. But I have no idea where to stay and what to do first. If anyone has any suggestions, I would GREATLY appreciate it... I haven't done ANY traveling (other than local) since I was in the Air Force many moons ago, just gotta get out of my "rut" and see something majestic for once....

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yup, looking at that at other stuff... trying not to get overwhelmed.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I live (for now) not far from there. Haven't made it to the park yet. Probably this summer.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Depends on what you are comfortable with - would you rather stay at a regular campsite or in a cabin, or do you like dispersed camping?

I always go dispersed, because to me it defeats the purpose of going camping if I'm surrounded by people and cars, dogs, kids, etc.

Just go to Google maps, find trailheads where you can park, that are surrounded by forest, and away from any regular campground, and plan to move a mile or more from that trailhead to a campsite you find and prepare. The only real rule, is that you must be a couple hundred feet away from trails, so people can't see your site when they hike.

Did this for a week last year in Allegheny National Forest, and going to Mononghela in WV this year.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This site seems to be a good place to start:

http://www.olympicpeninsula.org/

I really want to explore the natural awesomeness of the area. Take a good day hike, see the Pacific, Crescent lake, get on some mountain, etc...

Of course I'll shoot over to Seattle on one of the ferrys and do the obligatory Space Needle thing and visit the Tom Bihn shop...

Last edited:

lk2500

Oct 12, 2011
You looking for a hotel or a campground? Deep hikes into wilderness or easy "Disneyland" hikes? We've taken some day trips over there and hiked down to Dungeness Spit, Lake Crescent, and Marymere Falls ("Disneyland hikes). You'll also want to visit Hurricane Ridge and the Hoh Rain Forest if you can get up there. You could just get a hotel room in Port Angeles and spoke out from there if you'd like. I don't know much about the campgrounds.

A friend of mine has stayed here and liked it: http://www.olsonscabin.com/ I, of course, can't vouch for it since I've never been....

Last edited:

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the links and advice! Definetly want to go to the Hoh forest. Still researching...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I look out my living room window and (when it's clear) I see this:

aaa.sized.jpg

aab.sized.jpg

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
The lodges are generally old and nice...at least Lake Crescent Lodge and Lake Quinault Lodge

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
Ive done a ton of hiking in the Olympics. A thing to note is there is no real through road across the park so to get to say the Hoh Rain Forest you have to drive all the way around the parks.

Most of the popular areas are on the northern side of the park. Port Angelas can be a decent base camp and provide access to Hurricane Ridge, Elwha, Sol Duc's. Elwha is the most "wilderness" of them. Hurricane Ridge is probably the most popular. Has a big day lodge and the such. Sol Duc has hot springs.

Really cant recommend ot much though. Are you wanting ot hike in and camp? Short hikes? Long hikes? How many days?

Boomer im curious where you live. With that clear of a view of the Brothers and Olympics Im thinking somewhere along the Hood Canal?

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thank you for the info. I would like to do some short hikes, and I would like to be actually in the area between 5 and 7 days. I'm more interested in seeing and experiencing the natural wonders out there. *MAYBE* camp overnight somewhere. I just really want to get "lost" by myself for awhile somewhere naturally beautiful for about a week or so...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Ive done a ton of hiking in the Olympics. A thing to note is there is no real through road across the park so to get to say the Hoh Rain Forest you have to drive all the way around the parks.

Most of the popular areas are on the northern side of the park. Port Angelas can be a decent base camp and provide access to Hurricane Ridge, Elwha, Sol Duc's. Elwha is the most "wilderness" of them. Hurricane Ridge is probably the most popular. Has a big day lodge and the such. Sol Duc has hot springs.

Really cant recommend ot much though. Are you wanting ot hike in and camp? Short hikes? Long hikes? How many days?

Boomer im curious where you live. With that clear of a view of the Brothers and Olympics Im thinking somewhere along the Hood Canal?

East Bremerton...for now. Apartment overlooks Dyes Inlet.

Nice place to winter.

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
I would base camp out of Port Angelas than myself. Tons of hiking within 1-2 drive form there. Same you could go to Lake Ozette in a day if you wanted as well. For an over nighter I'd go up the Elwha. Theres a nice spot to camp probably 4 miles or so in if i remember right and its right along the river. Elkhorn is nice too but a much further hike in (10 miles?)

If it was me and i wanted to spent 5-7 days in an area that wasnt a hike through i'd go PA and branch out from there.

o Fat Smittys along 101 by Discovery Bay (on the way to PA) is a nice hole in the wall burger place. Big burgers and friendly place

East Bremerton...for now. Apartment overlooks Dyes Inlet.

Guess i should have gone with my second guess which would hve been closer. Was going to say it looks like the view from down by the Tracyton area.

I live in Port Orchard myself though i grew up in East Bremerton

Last edited: