Question OLED TV as a monitor?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtSeldon

Jan 13, 2014
I was looking for a new monitor.
Dell 32" IPS 4k monitor was my first choice but then LG C2 42" OLED TV was mentioned.

Price seems ok for a 42" OLED but there are other technical issues. Burn-in is the first issue of course. While I'm going to use it for some gaming and movie watching, a considerable amount of time it will be used in Word, Excel, VS Code.
Another problem is the RGB placement. Subpixels have the RGBW orientation. Some reviewers say text rendering is a bit of a problem, but I don't know how big the problem is or does it get better with some tweaking in Windows Settings.

Another alternative is on the way. But there is no info about the subpixel orientation.
Philips 42M2N8900 from the Evnia 8000 series is unveiled with a 42" 4K OLED display and a 138Hz refresh rate (displayspecifications.com)

So, any advice or experience about these?

Reactions: SohanPerves

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Trying to decide between G2, G3 and S95C at the moment.

I would Seriously also add the QNED85, and QN95C if you EVER intend on using it as a monitor.
No worries on autodiming on both of them.
They are mini led's with 1000+ FALD zones.
YES they will give an OLED a good race for quality, while completely decimating it on Endurance, and not worrying about panel burnin unless you watch CNN all day.

My personal opinion...
The only time my OLED's will beat my MiniLED's will be in a Dark room.
During the day, my MiniLED's completely dominate my OLED, and i don't have to worry about Autodiming, and pixel refresh.

To me and a shit ton of other PC gamers.

Just to note, the QNED85 has almost double the FALD zones of QN95C.
In terms of MiniLED the LG QNED85 is superior to the Sammy QN95C.
Here is an example of what almost double FALD zones mean.

Gamers like HDR, and we don't like burn in.
We also are mixed about playing in a dark room all the time.
Most of the gamers ive seen end up taking the MiniLED over the OLED after they see it in a well light room.
The Neo G8 is a beast of a monitor, and doesn't have any of the problems plaguing QD-OLED right now.

A QNED85 has over 2500 FALD zones. Thats double samsung's Odyssey Neo G8.
That TV completely blows away my LG C2, and G3 even during the day.
When things get dark and i dim the lights, the G3 is a winner, but how often are you sitting in a dark room.

This is why the QNED85 is my favorite TV now for most applications, unless i know its gonna be mostly watched at night and just pure HDR movies.

But even then MiniLED's have superior HDR over OLED's.

All we need now is the MicroLED's to finally hit market at reasonable prices, and we will probably only see OLED's on cellphones and tablets again.

Last edited:

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
I would Seriously also add the QNED85, and QN95C if you EVER intend on using it as a monitor.
No worries on autodiming on both of them.
They are mini led's with 1000+ FALD zones.
YES they will give an OLED a good race for quality, while completely decimating it on Endurance, and not worrying about panel burnin unless you watch CNN all day.

My personal opinion...
The only time my OLED's will beat my MiniLED's will be in a Dark room.
During the day, my MiniLED's completely dominate my OLED, and i don't have to worry about Autodiming, and pixel refresh.

Just to note, the QNED85 has almost double the FALD zones of QN95C.
In terms of MiniLED the LG QNED85 is superior to the Sammy QN95C.
Here is an example of what almost double FALD zones mean.

Gamers like HDR, and we don't like burn in.
We also are mixed about playing in a dark room all the time.
Most of the gamers ive seen end up taking the MiniLED over the OLED after they see it in a well light room.
The Neo G8 is a beast of a monitor, and doesn't have any of the problems plaguing QD-OLED right now.

A QNED85 has over 2500 FALD zones. Thats double samsung's Odyssey Neo G8.
That TV completely blows away my LG C2, and G3 even during the day.
When things get dark and i dim the lights, the G3 is a winner, but how often are you sitting in a dark room.

This is why the QNED85 is my favorite TV now for most applications, unless i know its gonna be mostly watched at night and just pure HDR movies.

But even then MiniLED's have superior HDR over OLED's.

All we need now is the MicroLED's to finally hit market at reasonable prices, and we will probably only see OLED's on cellphones and tablets again.

It is not a bad shout and to be honest anything will be better than my current 4k monitor and 1080p plasma.

I just like the black levels of my plasma and don't really want to regress from that.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It is not a bad shout and to be honest anything will be better than my current 4k monitor and 1080p plasma.

I just like the black levels of my plasma and don't really want to regress from that.

Yeah but in a well lite room with backlight and glare, those blacks wont be that noticeable.

So again if you intend to watch the TV a lot in the dark, a OLED wins hands down.
But if its mostly day, or you have your lights on, a MiniLED is almost unnoticeable and gives you far better nits, HDR, and no worry about autodimming and burn in.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I game mostly in the evening and can turn down the shades in the room, so the OLED is plenty bright for that. I also like dark games like space sims, where OLED blacks destroy any LCD.