Oled monitor vs Oled TV. Burn in question.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Pretty simple question. is Oled on a monitor going to have as bad of burn in as it does on Oled tv’s? Assuming same the same image is displayed for an identical length of time?

If so, I may wait for micro led displays to become mainstream.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It will have burn in. Heck my Samsung phone has burn in thanks to the youtube app lacking a dark mode until just this month...

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Burn in is real. There is more than enough evidence on AVS forums. My mom set her Nexus6 to have an unreasonable 5 minute screen timeout and she has Android navigation buttons slightly burned in now. They're very faint, and only noticeable on a plain white background now, but they're there. The amount of burn in will depend on the panel, newer panels are supposed to be more resistant to burn in, and whether or not you have a lot of static content on your screen.

Having said that so long as you do not display any static content, OLEDs are absolutely fine. I would be 100% comfortable getting OLED for TV since I only use it with HTPC and don't have to deal with channel logos being burned in. However, while I love the pure OLED blacks, I don't think I'd get OLED display for my monitor. For the monitors full array micro LEDs might be the way to go whenever they come out.

nathanddrews

Graphics Cards, CPU Moderator
Aug 9, 2016
www.youtube.com
Pretty simple question. is Oled on a monitor going to have as bad of burn in as it does on Oled tv’s? Assuming same the same image is displayed for an identical length of time? If so, I may wait for micro led displays to become mainstream.
As rtings.com has properly demonstrated in their controlled testing, even under normal viewing conditions with countermeasures in place, permanent burn-in will eventually happen. It sucks, but there it is.

Speaking as an advocate in general and owner of OLED devices specifically, I have only just recently experienced burn-in on my Galaxy S5 (4 years old). The status bar across the top has effectively began to wear out a strip of OLEDs across the top. It's still hard to see when watching fullscreen video, but any static images or rotated content browsing has a clear strip running down the side of the screen.

The main issue with OLED that rtings testing has uncovered is that it doesn't matter if you display a static image for 20 hours straight or 1 hour per day for 20 days, the effect on the subpixels is the same. Burn-in is cumulative and ultimately can't be defeated. The giant caveat in the form of a massive asterisk is that you might not notice it for years or you might notice it after months. As I pointed out above, none of my previous OLED phones or tablets exhibited signs of burn-in until my S5 a couple months ago - just like @Gunbuster (that's a coincidence, eh?).

One more anecdote: earlier this year it was time to upgrade our primary TV and ultimately I went with the Sony X930E LCD. We were originally set to buy an LG C7 OLED, but when we saw them side-by-side in the store, we just couldn't justify spending 1K more. The OLED definitely has perfect black, but the X930E gets really dark as well, no burn-in risk, slightly better color reproduction, and more than double the effective nits for HDR. I really love OLED, but if you want a long-term solution, it might not be the right one. Now I just need my 1080p LCD projector to last long enough for MicroLED walls to come down in price...