OLED 65" TV or 120 inch screen 4k projector ?

OLED 65" TV or 120 inch screen 4k projector ?

• OLED 65" TV

• 120 inch screen 4k projector ?

Results are only viewable after voting.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Which one should I get? I went to Best Buy yesterday and I am amazed at how gorgeous and life like the OLED tvs are! It feels like your actually there! Though I really want a 120 inch screen 4k projector but I realize I won't get the same quality picture.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Do you want to watch TV during the day? If so, are you willing to put up blackout blinds or else put the projector in the basement?

Projectors are all about light control. Your black level for your projector screen is however dark the room is at the moment. If you like to have the lights on, then a TV is a better choice.

I have both (TV + projector, not OLED tho)...I have a 65" HiSense 4K TV in my living room, plus a projector in my basement. I think OLED's are amazing, but for ~$700 (vs. $2,200 - $2,600) I got a really fantastic-looking 65" 4K television that we use during the day for TV & games, and then I have a 135" screen in the basement for "movie night" with the projector. It's a really awesome combination!

Do you know what 4K projector you're looking at? If you're looking at a TV or projector in the $2,500 range, I'd check out the BENQ HT5550, as it's pretty ridiculous. If you're open to considering both a TV & projector, I'd check out the BENQ HT3550 ($1,500) plus a good 65" 4K TV (Samsung's QLED TV's are going for around $1,500). If you want a brighter projector & do gaming, the BENQ T800/T800M are pretty good ($1,100 to $1,300 range). If you want to do a combination setup in the same room, you could put an electric or manual screen in front of the TV & have it come down at night for big-screen viewing. Honestly, that'd be my ideal setup, but I'd have to tear into my ceiling to do a spiffy recessed (flush) screen & I'm moving again later this year, so meh.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you're in that price range I suspect you could find a good used CRT projector which can handle 8K with an infinite contrast ratio?

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
As an owner of a home theater room with 120" screen...I'd go that way with 4k projector. I'm still using a 1080p projector myself but as prices come down I do plan to upgrade to 4k in the theater room.

Nov 20, 2009
I always found it a bad idea to recommend a digital projector to someone when I do not know what they (the buyer) are like. I heard all of hub-bub about DLP many years ago, about its crazy high ANSI contrast, etc. but the first time I demo'd one and every time since them I find it a case I cannot watch a DLP projector because I can see the temporal separation RGB color wheel segments. I also found the LCD projectors SDE (screen door effect) to be less than tolerable and with the exception of analog (e.g. CRT) only LCoS projectors--mainly from JVC have been acceptable in my case. So, without knowing someone else's case, I could never recommend a projector. And this is assuming a light controlled environment to actually benefit from the technologies.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, dont know why that noob bumped a 2 year old thread to be less than helpful.

BUT....

My next home project is going to be setting up an overhead projector and the rest of my home theater. So I need recommendations on a movie quality projector that can make 1080p look good with a decent frame rate as I also intend to use it with my Xbox.

three thousand dollars or less. I already have a good audio system.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hey @shortylickens

I'm sure there are newer models out which may have better performance, but i'm extremely happy with my Sony VPL-HW45ES. It was about $1800 in 2016 when I got it.
I bought it mostly for 24p movies, but, i use it for pc gaming as well.

Have had DLP projectors before that.
A Mitsubishi from 2008 which ran great until color wheel started to give me trouble after like 5 or 6 years of heavy use
Then a Benq which i had a lot of issues with (but, to be fair, it was a bad match for me in the first place since it was too short of throw and i didnt have a good place to mount it. In addition, the Benq was far too bright for my room.)

Its always a PITA when they burn out and need replacement lamp assemblies.
It's probably worth looking into / considering Laser type projector instead of xenon lamp for longevity.

black levels/contrast are going to vary a lot. Id hope they are better now then they were in the past, but, that was one thing the sony did pretty decent.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Which one should I get? I went to Best Buy yesterday and I am amazed at how gorgeous and life like the OLED tvs are! It feels like your actually there! Though I really want a 120 inch screen 4k projector but I realize I won't get the same quality picture.

Yes you can coming from a guy with bad ass tv's, and projectors, they are NOTHING like the days gone by at all. I shoot a 180" picture, and 2 100 inches in the same room, and my bedroom wall. Though 720P, and unlike a "TV" with a pj, from say 18 feet or so back, if you had a 720P 1080P and a 4K PJ running ur eyes will never tell which is which. On top of that the only way to really tell is to get closer to the screen where the larger pixels will be the 720P and smaller ones, well you get the idea ;)

You may want to look into a LED 4K by Epson, or their 1080P units that "upscale" to 4K some how, out of my range, so never really looked into it as of yet in more detail, but I would suggest though to stay away from a bulb lit unit, and get either a LED or Laser lit unit for light source longevity.

AND PLEASE DO NOT BLAST IT AT A PAINTED WALL!!!! Unless it is real PJ Paint then yeah, but if you want the BEST picture out of a PJ, a while wall is not it. I been making my own paint, and you need it to be a light shade of grey and have it absorb most of the light so its is not blasted back at you all glossy. Get a real legit screen, not the $100 specials, will not do if you are spending that much on a 4K tv, do not stop there, and then I also hope you got the HT Audio to match as well, for 120 inches with a sound bar, well, its just not right :p

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
OK, dont know why that noob bumped a 2 year old thread to be less than helpful.

BUT....

My next home project is going to be setting up an overhead projector and the rest of my home theater. So I need recommendations on a movie quality projector that can make 1080p look good with a decent frame rate as I also intend to use it with my Xbox.

three thousand dollars or less. I already have a good audio system.
You can get a 4k projector setup with that budget. This 4k projector has freesync and can do 1080p 240hz for gaming purpose.

Last edited:

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
DANG! Thats NICE!! I have not really looked in years since my stuff is still working, but I think I need to look again, for 4K, bright, massive hurts (lol), around $1.5K, just wow!
Of the projectors I have owned all my years, I have found if going DLP, its Optoma, hell I have a unit still, that works, with almost 10K on its bulb when I think it was rated at 6k, and even though the color wheel broke after several years of constant use, was cheap and easy to replace. If it is going to be LCD, then nothing but Epson will do, and can usually get a hella deal on anything epson really, from their closeout/refurb e-store, bought almost all my epson printer from there.

But wow, sdifox, you seen any good laser units yet I should dive into? Bulbs are getting better, but a LED or Laser is really where it is at the last time I looked for its around 20-25K hrs, if a laser, and around 40-50K if LED, and since it is used for about 8-12 hrs a day, it really needs to have tons of hrs, or that and super cheap replacements for the light source.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
DANG! Thats NICE!! I have not really looked in years since my stuff is still working, but I think I need to look again, for 4K, bright, massive hurts (lol), around $1.5K, just wow!
Of the projectors I have owned all my years, I have found if going DLP, its Optoma, hell I have a unit still, that works, with almost 10K on its bulb when I think it was rated at 6k, and even though the color wheel broke after several years of constant use, was cheap and easy to replace. If it is going to be LCD, then nothing but Epson will do, and can usually get a hella deal on anything epson really, from their closeout/refurb e-store, bought almost all my epson printer from there.

But wow, sdifox, you seen any good laser units yet I should dive into? Bulbs are getting better, but a LED or Laser is really where it is at the last time I looked for its around 20-25K hrs, if a laser, and around 40-50K if LED, and since it is used for about 8-12 hrs a day, it really needs to have tons of hrs, or that and super cheap replacements for the light source.

I wouldn't worry about lamps, by the time you go through two bulbs, it is time to upgrade lol.

Personally not a fan of ultra short throw projector.

Last edited:

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I cannot do ultra short, for at 180 inches will have to be too far from the wall, and Im not to sure a ultra can do much more and focus past 120 inch. But for bulbs, yeah, we use it A LOT, and on my 2nd bulb in my Optoma as it is right now for the first one popped around the 6K mark and I know its just a matter of time before this one does, and really, its a great projector still, does 3d, short throw, so I may just go and buy another bulb, or upgrade it to the short throw HDR unit, not really sure still what I want to do. I like the one you posed but since it is not a short throw, at 18 feet away will not do that 180 inches my short can do. I'd have to look for a short throw, 4k I think at tax time, or again just get the HDR upgrade for a few more years, till 4K really takes off more and cheaper. I really just need the 4K due to being 18 feet away, and a short, the screen door is visible to me if I look hard enough for it. If only my room was farther then 18 feet :)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
LG one should do no? You can check with projector central's calculator.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
It would, but even at tax time still more then what I would like to spend, for I got other crap I need to buy, so it looks as if I am stuck with the short throw optoma HDR unit.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It would, but even at tax time still more then what I would like to spend, for I got other crap I need to buy, so it looks as if I am stuck with the short throw optoma HDR unit.

Nothing wrong with that.

My HT has been sitting in boxes since I moved, ten years ago :(