Older system, new GPU...but which one?

mirandamarquez

Mar 28, 2008
Hi guys,

Quick question for you all.

I am looking to get a little more graphics power from an older system I have sitting on the smaller desk next to my main rig.

Specs are currently as follows:

CPU: Pentium D 820 @ 3.15 Ghz

Mobo: Asus P5L 1394

Memory: 3 GB DDR2

Chipset: Asus 82945G

The current card is an Nvidia GeForce 7500LE, which was no great shakes even when it was new.

I always use dual 19"monitors on this machine and am looking to use the computer mainly to run IMVU with the chat window open in full screen on one monitor, with a browser open in the other.

The motherboard and CPU seem to be ok at the moment and I see no reason to upgrade just yet ( although if someone told me otherwise, I'd listen to their advice ).

I've noticed that the frame rates in IMVU are very low using this machine, especially as I am used to using my 9800GX2 powered main machine to run this program. I'm looking to achieve around 26-30 FPS in heavily loaded rooms.

Could someone suggest a graphics card, priced around the £100 mark that will fit the bill?

I've looked at a 9600 GT, ATI 4670 and a couple of 8800 GT cards, but I'm getting a little confused as to what would give me the best value for my money, whilst still meeting the requirements outlined above.

All input is gratefully received.

Mira x

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
9600GT is about as fast as I would go on a P-D, in most games their performance is identical to a P4, I have my old 820 running at 3.6ghz with a 2900XT...it's pretty much a major waste of that card.

maybe consider upgrading to a Pentium Dual core (not to be confused with Pentium D, the Pentium Dual core are basically cut down core 2 duo's) or a Core 2 duo and over clocking that....it would pretty much blow your P-D in to the weeds....then add a 8800GT or 9800GT ;)

Apr 20, 2008
Upgrading to a 4650 or 4670 would be your best bet. You didn't list your PSU, so getting a 9600 class GPU might be stretching it. It barely takes up less power then a 8800gt. The 4650/70 does not even require a PCI-E connector.

mirandamarquez

Mar 28, 2008
Thank you for replying, Gentlemen.

Is the consensus that it is going to be a waste of money adding a half decent card to a D820 based system, and that the money would be better spent in a different way?

I thought that might be the case, which is why I left the option of upgrading other components open in my first post.

This is not my primary gaming machine, however, and I didn't really want to spend a huge amount of money on it, at least not at this point.

The power supply is a 400 watt generic job.

As I said, I really want this to be able to run my 3D chat program at high FPS ( which is about 30 FPS ) and not much more.

Am I looking at the impossible to manage this on a budget of £100?

Again, all your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mira

xx

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
you should be able to get the results that you want from simply upgrading to a faster video card, just don't spend too much as it is wasted on that system.

Your CPU should be plenty fast for a 3D chat type program....it's just not fast enough to make full use of video cards like 9600GT's and 9800GT's

ther00kie16

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2008
I don't think most people know what IMVU requirements are. But I would recommend the 4650/4670 as a good match for a Pentium D, especially given that it's a generic power supply. I'm assuming IMVU is not nearly as demanding as a modern 3D game so a mainstream 4600 card should be just fine.

F1shF4t

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: mirandamarquez
Thank you for replying, Gentlemen.

Is the consensus that it is going to be a waste of money adding a half decent card to a D820 based system, and that the money would be better spent in a different way?

I thought that might be the case, which is why I left the option of upgrading other components open in my first post.

This is not my primary gaming machine, however, and I didn't really want to spend a huge amount of money on it, at least not at this point.

The power supply is a 400 watt generic job.

As I said, I really want this to be able to run my 3D chat program at high FPS ( which is about 30 FPS ) and not much more.

Am I looking at the impossible to manage this on a budget of £100?

Again, all your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Mira

xx

In that case 4670 is your best bet. I think that generic unit would already be struggling powering the heat engine otherwise known as PD.

I don't know the gfx requirements of that prog though, a mate of mine was using a 8800 320 card for it and it worked fine. (Its probably equal to 9600gt, and faster than 4670)
Anyone feel free to correct me, I dropped the 320 card as quickly as possible for my old 8800gtx, so don't really know how it compares.

mirandamarquez

Mar 28, 2008
Just to let everyone know, I went for the 9600GT in the end, got the MSI 512 MB card and it runs fine. I'd like to thank everyone for their kind help.
Mira xx