Older games detecting phantom controller

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Some PC games made in 2009 and 2010 have a really annoying issue (at least with my computer) where it mistakes certain USB devices for game controllers. This leads to things like scrolling up on the menu options endlessly and game characters endlessly circling around, without touching anything. Borderlands would be the most popular game with this issue I think, but I have come across it in a couple of other games as well. Saint's Row 2 had this problem and it was addressed in the game's FAQ:
How do I fix the menu selection automatically scrolling through the options at fast speed?

Saints Row 2 has this issue with certain USB devices which it mistakenly thinks are game controllers. The first thing to try is to unplug all USB devices except your keyboard and mouse and see if that fixes it. Also, certain Saitek keyboards install their own HID-Compliant Game Controller entry in Device Manager to enable extra functionality like keystroke macros. Temporarily disabling this device in device manager could also fix the issue.

I've spent a lot of time on these super annoying issues, only to be beaten every time. I can't find the culprit, some rogue USB driver is screwing up these games. I can unplug every usb device connected to my computer and the problem will still persist. I have been able to find a workaround for some of the games with the issue but not most of them. At least the upside is that 95% of the other PC games I play don't have any problems like this whatsoever. But the games that do have that issue...argh! Annoying stuff.

and while it seems to just affect games made pre 2011 I'm almost certain this issue will keep coming up here and there in some future games as well.

Anyhow I bet there are many others out there who have come across this problem (perhaps not any here) or something similar at least. Any ideas what these games might be detecting as a controller? Whatever it is it seems pretty well hidden.

Using 64 bit Windows 7, I think I had the same issue back when I ran Vista though.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
maybe some devices on your mobo are hanging off the usb bus - see if there is anything you don't need that you can disable in bios?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
might give it a shot, I don't venture into the bios very often. I wouldn't really know where to start once i'm in there, though.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Well I use a Microsoft ergonomic 4000 keyboard but seems like any USB device itself might not be the issue but rather some obnoxious drivers lurking around. I say that because I can unplug all my usb connections and the issue persists. Also I don't have a spare keyboard >_> - But the keyboard has been one of the main suspects.

thanks for the replies

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Have a bluetooth adapter?

Nope

what you need is to stop blaming usb devices that are working perfectly fine and ditch the crapware games

Probably a good idea :D - But like I said I'd bet on having this problem again in the future. It does seem to be somewhat specific to my computer, there are others affected by the same issues but overall maybe 1 out of every 1000 gamers, so it'd be nice to find and murder the thing that's causing it. Though I can usually find a workaround for each game after working on it an hour or three.

Last edited: