Old video games being remade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
hi and welcome to the forum...

yes a lot of games have gotten remakes since 2009.

Crysis - Remake
FF7 finally got remade... well partially.
Mass Effect Legendary.
Diablo 2 Resurrections

And i hear possibly Crysis might undergo the entire series being remade like ME: Legendary.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
hi and welcome to the forum...

yes a lot of games have gotten remakes since 2009.

Crysis - Remake
FF7 finally got remade... well partially.
Mass Effect Legendary.
Diablo 2 Resurrections

And i hear possibly Crysis might undergo the entire series being remade like ME: Legendary.

- I think there needs to be a distinction between a "remaster" and a "remake".

For example, I would say a game like Crysis or ME:Legendary edition are remasters, not remakes. They are still fundamentally the same games running on the same engines as the original release, someone just went back in and cleaned things up, ran a sharpening filter on all the textures, stapled on some newer tech extensions, bundle all the DLC together and did some QA so the games can actually work on modern systems.

Games like RE:2 and 3, Final Fantasy 7 etc are all actually remakes. All the original art assets, engine, etc are thrown out and the "same" game essentially rebuilt from scratch with brand new tech and art assets.

Not many games get a full blown remake, but remastering has been a thing for a while now.

Reactions: aigomorla

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Don't forget Starcraft remastered.