Old people and landlines... a relative wants one, after failing to operate a cell and a MagicJack.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I have a landline, and would like nothing better than to get rid of it. My wife insists on keeping it though, so it is not worth the battle. We also have our internet over the phone line, and it is crap. Hopefully one of these days I can convince her to switch over to cable internet/phone. The problem I have with the landline is that it is almost 130.00 per month for one landline and internet that is very slow by current standards. Even worse, seems like they manage to creep the price up a couple of dollars every month.

quackagator

Jul 1, 2002
I sorta wish that I had a device that would detect either of our cell phones on the Wifi and use their call over wifi feature to make calls. Maybe have unique rings for each phone. Too easy for the wife's phone to be burried in a purse or something. Or just the ringer on silent. That's really going the other way. Plug into a POTS phone or be a handset itself.
Lon time ago when we lived in Venice Fl we had a GE made phone that you could use as a mobile and when you got home use it as a land line. But they quit making them. This is in the 70's

Feb 4, 2009
Lon time ago when we lived in Venice Fl we had a GE made phone that you could use as a mobile and when you got home use it as a land line. But they quit making them. This is in the 70's

This was called a Flex phone in the US. They were still possible to buy in the mid 90s. My carrier stopped signing up new Flex customers in 96(ish). They dropped support for them shortly after digital arrived.