Old hdd for new computer, preserving files? HELP

Xodom

Jun 2, 2013
Hey guys, allow me to explain whats going on:
3 years ago I got a custom built computer from a friend who was moving away. It had some games such as FarCry2 and such and I've had fun playing on it and it's been great, but I've recently decided to upgrade my system and build a new computer (new mobo and processor, etc.). Also, the old computer operated off a single HDD that had windows 7 and all the games/files. I've decided to go with the SSD/HDD setup, and have my OS boot from the SSD. I've been researching this for a few days and I know that I will have to wipe the HDD and reinstall windows so that it's compatible with the new mobo (AsRock extreme6). Is there any way that I can keep my actual games? They were not bought on steam and I don't have any installation disk or anything because all I got from my friend was the computer. Is there any way they can be preserved?

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
ask your friend from which site he downloaded them? pirate bay?
As long as you save saved games files you can buy the game via steam (or anything else) and play where you left off... But if it was not on steam and didn't need discs to run = pirated.

WTSherman

May 18, 2013
You can't just do a disk clone from the hard drive to the new ssd? Thats what I just did.

Xodom

Jun 2, 2013
No, look, what I'm doing is trying to keep using this same hdd. A lot of people told me that In order to keep using it I need to wipe it so it can be compatible with the OS I install on my SSD, windows 8. And I have no way of contacting my friend, so I guess I'm losing the games