Old dos program stopped working. Can I fix it (win 2k server).

sv650dave

Jan 20, 2004
Unfotunately we still use one dos program for our bulk emailing. Well somehow Ive killed it. Its so old it doesnt have an "install" process. It worked fine a couple of days ago (on the new set up) but today it would not run at all and gives me the nifty r6009 run-time error of not enough environment space. Ive fooled with all the memory settings you can change in the short cut and I even added a single line to one of the system.ini files but neither fix worked.

I have no idea what I changed or if I changed anything. This program worked fine on all our other XP machines and on the win 2k machine before we did our recent upgrade to new machines (note we made a clean install).

Could it be a TSR killing it??? Maybe some change I made to the server whilst chasing my other gremlins?

I did run defrag chasing another problem, maybe I fragged the dos program?

JohnnyAnnalog

Dec 6, 2003
Originally posted by: sv650dave
Unfotunately we still use one dos program for our bulk emailing. Well somehow Ive killed it. Its so old it doesnt have an "install" process. It worked fine a couple of days ago (on the new set up) but today it would not run at all and gives me the nifty r6009 run-time error of not enough environment space. Ive fooled with all the memory settings you can change in the short cut and I even added a single line to one of the system.ini files but neither fix worked.

I have no idea what I changed or if I changed anything. This program worked fine on all our other XP machines and on the win 2k machine before we did our recent upgrade to new machines (note we made a clean install).

Could it be a TSR killing it??? Maybe some change I made to the server whilst chasing my other gremlins?

I did run defrag chasing another problem, maybe I fragged the dos program?
You are not going to get any help with "Bulk Emailing".

Go away before the Mods get a hold of you.

sv650dave

Jan 20, 2004
oh cripes... bulk mail... not E mail. DOH. we use First Choice to generate our mailing lables (via Dos Avery label) for our yearly catalog. We should have migrated to the label module on the business software years ago but the powers that be think that there is no way to do it without wasting lables (and they wont let me look into it).

So, I must keep this Dos stuff running....

bulk email..... lmao Just call me the snail mail Spam master (well technically we only mail catalogs to active customers that request em)

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Some old DOS progs have timing issues with faster machines. I work with an audio test system from Audio Precision. Their old DOS program runs on my 486 DX4 and my Athlon 650, but, like you, I get a run-time error on my 2 GHz T-Bred. The company ackowledges the problem, but they no longer support the old DOS prog.

The solutions are either keep an old machine to run the program, or buy a new program. Sometimes, you can't teach a new dog old tricks. :(

Abzstrak

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2000
just restore from you backups of the server a few days ago... see how that pans out.... should be really easy to restore a dos program

geoff2k

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2000
What is the size of your environment? have you tried clearing some of the environment variables to reduce the size of the used environment so that your program can allocate more?

To check the size of your environment:

set > env.txt

The size of env.txt is the size of your current environment.

sv650dave

Jan 20, 2004
I will give that one a try. Ill let you know if it works.

I did some reading and there might be some programs out that help the timing issue. And if worse comes to worse I will take one of the old boxes and "detune" it till the program runs heheh.

Though, this could be the perfect time to migrate to something that isnt 4000000yrs old...