Old Charlie stole the handle and The train won't stop going -- No way to slow down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
what's crazy is that first song makes absolutely no sense, but the music is really nice. Put some crappy music behind it that could be a song today. I listened to it 3 times in a row and I'm still unsure who the hell Charlie is and why there's a train etc.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I think we have a lead in an old case. Where was Charlie when the pump stopped working?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
what's crazy is that first song makes absolutely no sense, but the music is really nice. Put some crappy music behind it that could be a song today. I listened to it 3 times in a row and I'm still unsure who the hell Charlie is and why there's a train etc.
that is one of life's great mysteries.

no one knows what the hell its about.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006

You should listen to the full-length version of Thick As A Brick.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you keep in mind that Jethro Tull's repertoire of drug use makes the Grateful Dead look like the amateur hour then all the songs make perfect sense. Whereas a Dead song might have have been written while under the influence of one drug or another, Tull songs were multi-drug conceived and so the influences shift line by line, note by note.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Metaphor for a life that is going off the rails with no way to stop it.

"All time loser, head long to his death" "He sees his children jumping off..." "His woman and his best friend in bed..." etc.

"Old Charlie" may be Satan, or not...some people claim there's a lot of religious/ biblical references in it but who knows? Ask Ian Anderson.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
what's crazy is that first song makes absolutely no sense, but the music is really nice.

Reminds me of Peaches by The Presidents of the United States of America. Basically a song about going to the country to eat vast quantities of peaches. Peaches for me.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I've seen Jethro Tull live in concert. Good stuff...Ian Anderson puts on a good show and he's magical with that flute.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
I think Charlie is a metaphor for coke, and the fact that he can't stop doing it means that there is no slowing down, because Charlie stole his ability to slow down.

does that make sense?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
the good news is Jethro Tull was the winner of the Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental in 1989

SphinxnihpS

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
the good news is Jethro Tull was the winner of the Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental in 1989

Saw them at the Chicago Theater in '89. Certainly one of the best bands of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.