old aspi drivers ruining my day on my new p3 1gig cusl2-c

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
just put together a new rig: cusl2c, 1gig p3, 45gig75gxp, 256mb mushy ram, plex scsi cd/rom, plexwriter 12/10/32, asus v7700 gts64mb, sb 5.1, and loaded mobo files and updates. i loaded plex mgr 2000 (1.09) and tried to clone a test cd. well, as soon as the blank is driven home everything freezes up. i unloaded plex mgr and everythings fine. so i loaded ezcd creator 4 and the same thing happens. will nero do it where these others won't? went to plex and adaptec site, dl'd aspi check and aspi check says i have aspi files that replaced a more recent version. how the hell did that happen with a fresh virgin install on all files? is this why i'm getting a freeze on my shiny new rig? i can't conjure the logic to troubleshoot this one,and i feel like it's beyond me to figure this one out. anybody else experiencing this with a similar setup? FAQ's on both sites don't mention this. i'm monitoring cusl2.com but no luck there yet either.
well, i gotta hit the sack, it's going to be a busy day for me starting at 3:45 am. thanks all for the help.

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
Did you install the Intel ATA Drivers? If so, this is a known issue with Plextor Manager 2000. Plextor advises that you must uninstall the Intel ATA Drivers; while Intel is in the process of testing their new ATA drivers.

At the moment, the latest beta of the Intel ATA drivers do not resolve the issue, as PM2K is hardcoded to look for ESDI_506.PDR, which the Intel ATA drivers replace.

trenchfoot

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Andy Hui, rbV5, thanks much. you guys have saved me from what i hate most about t-shooting: that endless circle of dead-ends. again, thanks! :)