Oktoberfest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
And, while I'm passing on tips, I put my Raspberry Mead into a 5 liter wine box. You can buy new mylar bags with spigots, but I just sanitized a recently emptied bag and refilled. It was easy to "burp" out any nasty oxygen containing air and it sits on my pantry shelf, drinkable on a whim, but also still aging and improving.

JonB - Thanks!
That made me think of the Coleman 5 gallon water jugs I take camping!
Those things only cost about $5 and they have an opening large enough to take an airlock.
They are made to hold drinking water, so they would be good although they would likely hold the flavors of whatever you aged in them.
This might just be a great idea! I have a couple of them here too!
They could be great for some aging and then I could put the contents into a keg and carbonate.

mmmmm.... now I'm getting into the mood to do some brewing ;)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Come Chistmas, there had better be something on my doorstep, all this talk... :)

I did find a new supermarket around town that stocks a couple smaller brews cheaper then the local bev depot. Though my pumpkin ale has arrived, I need to find a car to borrow to pick it up. Though I can make a pathetic attempt at splitting the cases of stuff I bought & dragging the bottles home few by few by bike. Oh that's just sad.

Slatzman

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2002
Jon, great page for the beer for the wedding. I too brewed 15 gallons for my wedding 8 years ago, it was a huge hit at the reception. The bartended even asked to take a bottle or two home so he could try it.

You really need to get into kegging though, that is the only way to homebrew...I hated bottling, and now my beer is on tap in my garage all the time.

I brew from all grains, and even culture my own yeast, brings my per batch cost down to $10-$15 depending on the amount of hops I use.

Homebrewing is a great hobby, used to be able to say you couldn't buy as good as beer, but now that microbreweries are abundant that is not true, but you can't beat the price and variety that homebrewers can do.

Slatz