Oktoberfest beers are out!

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Not sure if you've noticed at your local liquor stores/grocery stores, but Oktoberfest beers are all over. Picked myself up a 6er of Schell's and a 12 pack of Summit Oktoberfest. I love this time of year! :D

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
I'm currently enjoying several Old Dominion Brewery Oktoberfest beers. They are excellent this year. :thumbsup: :beer:

I haven't seen that micro here in Minnesota. When I was in AZ i never saw Summit, but did see Schell brews.

Hmmm...we should organize some sort of exchange program so that we can mail different beers across the country to the people that can't get certain ones locally.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
I'm currently enjoying several Old Dominion Brewery Oktoberfest beers. They are excellent this year. :thumbsup: :beer:

I haven't seen that micro here in Minnesota. When I was in AZ i never saw Summit, but did see Schell brews.

Hmmm...we should organize some sort of exchange program so that we can mail different beers across the country to the people that can't get certain ones locally.

Dominion only ships to the surrounding DC metro area and parts of Penn. and maybe Delaware.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
I have a choice between books or beer....

Hmmmmm.

I think that's a pretty easy choice.....

I am on campus 5 days a week and the library DOES have all my books...

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
:thumbsup::D:beer:

So the real question is, which microbrews have a decent shot at being here in NY and which ones should I get?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

So the real question is, which microbrews have a decent shot at being here in NY and which ones should I get?

Go to the store and look! :p All else fails...get any Oktoberfest beer...including Sam Adams which isn't bad at all.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

Brooklyn Brewery has a decent Oktoberfest and a Pumkin Ale. Check them out.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

Go to the store and look! :p All else fails...get any Oktoberfest beer...including Sam Adams which isn't bad at all.

The Sam Adams Oktoberfest is awful this year. I don't remember it being so bad. Maybe my taste in beers has changed, but the 12 pack I bought was terrible.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001

The Sam Adams Oktoberfest is awful this year. I don't remember it being so bad. Maybe my taste in beers has changed, but the 12 pack I bought was terrible.

Really?? Good to know...i won't pick any up then. That was my first exposure to Oktoberfest beers and i liked it (this was probably 6-7 years ago). I REALLY like the Schell's....and Summit is pretty good...but not as good as the Schell's i picked up.

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005

Yes, I felt it wasn't that good this year either (compared to last year). With the easy availability of german oktoberfests, people should definately try Spaten, Hacker-Pshorr and Paulner Oktoberfests - the German classics

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: darthsidious

Yes, I felt it wasn't that good this year either (compared to last year). With the easy availability of german oktoberfests, people should definately try Spaten, Hacker-Pshorr and Paulner Oktoberfests - the German classics

There's no question i'll be picking up some Spaten and Paulner. I went with the local micro's first.

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
I am a hop-head to the core, so I try to stray from these specialty beers. I have not tried any of the fall beers, but am looking forward to it. I still prefer my IPAs and other pale ales, and I have had pretty much all of the macro-brew (yes, SA is a macro-brewer, despite the craft-brew taste) specialty brews, so I see no need to retry what I have had.

ShockwaveVT

Dec 13, 2004

The Sam Adams Seasonal beers vary a lot from year to year. Last year I didn't like their Oktoberfest at all, this year its pretty good, maybe a B/B- where last year it was D/D+.

Spaten is my favorite though.

xdreadpiratedoug

Jul 25, 2007
I'm not sure if it's available outside of Texas, but the St. Arnolds Oktoberfest beer is in circulation now, and pretty damn tasty. I'd really like to find some local pumpkin ales before I go for the dogfish one.

broon

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy
I am a hop-head to the core, so I try to stray from these specialty beers. I have not tried any of the fall beers, but am looking forward to it. I still prefer my IPAs and other pale ales, and I have had pretty much all of the macro-brew (yes, SA is a macro-brewer, despite the craft-brew taste) specialty brews, so I see no need to retry what I have had.

I'm a hop-head also but I still have to get a few Octoberfests each fall. I had the Sam Adams and It's not terrible, just not a great example of the style. I prefer the Paulaner Octoberfest-Marzen.

The best thing about fall is that it won't be long before the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is out.