Okay, so when did we start accepting the leaf blower as a cleaning tool?

Dec 27, 2001
Grass clippings left over from mowing? Blow them into the neighbors yard. Leaves fallen from your trees? Blow them into the street. Dirt kicked up on the sidewalk? Blow it into the air where it magically disappears.

And that sound on Saturday morning is fantastic. It's not the drone of a lawmower, it's a squelching whine that's constantly fluctuating as the precision operator skillfully manages the air flow to maximize the scatter effect.

I wash my car and an hour later I'm watching a huge dust cloud from my neighbors house as his gardeners show up to tend his lawn and when it's time to clean up, it's time to bust out the guy with the gas powered leaf blower. I've always swept up my clippings and raked my leaves..........who knew there was a better way!!!???

And on my way back to work after lunch there's a guy blowing dirt off the sidewalk back into a busy street where the cars inevitably kick it back up on to the sidewalk.

When did we accept this as a society? When the first gardener took out a leaf blower and began to sweep a sidewalk with it, why didn't his employer stop him, smack him in the head, and hand him a broom?

I'm saying this because the gutters on my roof need to be cleaned out and I can go either way with this folks.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Use it as a cleaning tool, but I blow all my dirt/clippings onto my lawn. Blowing it out into the street just makes your house look trashy IMO.

As for leaves, consolidating them with a blower is a ton less work than raking; sorry if the noise bothers you.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: MrPickins
As for leaves, consolidating them with a blower is a ton less work than raking; sorry if the noise bothers you.

Run them over with the lawnmower. Even less work, and it's free fertilizer. ;)

Dec 27, 2001
Use it as a cleaning tool, but I blow all my dirt/clippings onto my lawn. Blowing it out into the street just makes your house look trashy IMO.

That's fine! I have a leaf blower/vac and use it myself (never in the morning though) when our Mulberry loses it's leaves. That is the INTENDED use of this tool. It was not made for blowing dirt around. It's both lazy and inconsiderate.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
:thumbsup: good rant, couldn't agree more. I always woke up in a pissy mood when it was our complexs lawn mowing day:frown:

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I use mine as a cleaning tool!

but then again i dont have anyone living near me. one side has a post office the other the house has been empty (and will be for awhile. idiot owners have it to high to sale). and behind me is corn fields! heh

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Always use my blower for gras clippings off the driveway and sidewalk.
Sorry. That's what its for.

I dont get the differentiation between using a blower to blow leaves from your lawn or blow grass clippings from the concrete.

In fact if you look at homedepot.com etc they are generically called "Blowers" and some are even dubbed "Lawn Sweepers"

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy

I dont get the differentiation between using a blower to blow leaves from your lawn or blow grass clippings from the concrete.

The street isn't your damn dustpan.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
noise pollution? check!
air pollution? check!
and for added benefit blowing grass & leaves into the street / gutter is a great way to cause localized street flooding!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

I missed where I said I blow them into the street...

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs

i have a mulching mower so i dont really worry about the trimmings that fall into the yard. i do make sure to trim first and blow it into my own yard before i mow so i can just mulch it up when i mow. landscapers should be blowing the trimmings/ leaves onto burlap throws so they can bundle it up and take it with them tho. thats ho it done here at least. maybe his landscapers just suck. i say go out when they start and tell them to wash your car when they are done i they are going to keep blowing it in your yard.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

I missed where I said I blow them into the street...

Well, that's my whole damn point.......using the leaf blower to blow shit into the street and/or your neighbors houses.

The leaf blower is a collection device meant to gather stuff together, not to disperse it.

Rowboat

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: dugweb
:thumbsup: good rant, couldn't agree more. I always woke up in a pissy mood when it was our complexs lawn mowing day:frown:

Our guy does it at 11pm mid week with a headlamp.

Kinda creepy the first few times.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
solid rant, it is the american way to only care about your stuff and no one else, to be oblivious to the rest of the world as if they truly dont exist. Same thing goes with shoveling snow right into the street, doesnt affect me so who cares!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
heh i am sure some of you know some areas ask you to move leaves to the curb. since you can't burn them or throw them away.

but the blower is great. i use mine to blow leaves to the burn pit.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
heh i am sure some of you know some areas ask you to move leaves to the curb. since you can't burn them or throw them away.

Raises his hand... We have to blow ours into the street.
As for grass clippings they go right back onto my lawn

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: jandrews
solid rant, it is the american way to only care about your stuff and no one else, to be oblivious to the rest of the world as if they truly dont exist. Same thing goes with shoveling snow right into the street, doesnt affect me so who cares!
Shoveling snow into the street is a much bigger deal than grass clippings and leaves.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs

Last year I made a pile of leaves 10' in diameter and 6' tall. That was just the back yard.

As it is, my lawn needs dethatching because I mulch all the clippings in. The leaves would be too much.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Howard
Shoveling snow into the street is a much bigger deal than grass clippings and leaves.

yeap a few people got tickets around here. they would plow the driveway across the street into the ditch. but they wouldnt get it all. they would leave a lot on the road.

what did it is a family got injured by hitrting some. the guy had snow all the way across the street at least a foot high.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Howard

yeap a few people got tickets around here. they would plow the driveway across the street into the ditch. but they wouldnt get it all. they would leave a lot on the road.

what did it is a family got injured by hitrting some. the guy had snow all the way across the street at least a foot high.

I every winter I thank god/allah/fsm that I live in a place where it doesn't snow.

Dec 27, 2001

We get green waste containers.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
dirty dirty two cycles. Reel mower + rake + broom + electric weed eater FTW! I don't wake anyone up on the weekends either.