Okay okay, I admit it, Bush is right

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
George Bush Senior that is ;)

"To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and make a broken tyrant into a latter-day hero ... assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an un-winnable urban guerilla war. It could only plunge that part of the world into even greater instability."

George Bush Snr, in A World Transformed, 1998

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: tallest1

"To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and make a broken tyrant into a latter-day hero ... assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an un-winnable urban guerilla war. It could only plunge that part of the world into even greater instability."

link and full quote please.

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003

That was before 9/11. Remember 9/11?

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Gravity

Theres no proof that Iraq had anything to do with 9/11, but of course you'll try to milk the death of thousands of Americans for anything.

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003

So 9/11 gave the US a blank cheque to do whatever it wants?; no matter how stupid or counterproductive it is? In that case, I guess most people are glad those attacks happened so now they can go out and kill "a bunch of A-rabs".

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

Yes, I do. But Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Actually, I think Bush Sr. was wrong and we are now paying for the mistakes of the father. We should have gone in and finished the job when we had the moral authority to do it.

Instead, we just let Saddam go and put sanctions on his country which only made the people suffer. We let him slaughter the Shiates. We stayed in Saudi Arabia as a deterence to Saddam. What did this bring us? More hatred against the US because we were "killing Iraqi children with sanctions" and we were infidels in a holy Islamic land (Saudi Arabia).

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Since when does a son EVER listen to his father? ;)
I don't imagine the Secret Service will let dad spank his son now, will they? :)

Great quote tallest1.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: StormRider
Actually, I think Bush Sr. was wrong and we are now paying for the mistakes of the father. We should have gone in and finished the job when we had the moral authority to do it.

Instead, we just let Saddam go and put sanctions on his country which only made the people suffer. We let him slaughter the Shiates. We stayed in Saudi Arabia as a deterence to Saddam. What did this bring us? More hatred against the US because we were "killing Iraqi children with sanctions" and we were infidels in a holy Islamic land (Saudi Arabia).

I agree. And just as two wrongs don't make a right, two mistakes (both Bushs' handlings of Iraq) don't make a correction.

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002

Yup. The Saddam problem didn't go away in 91, or 98. This was the only way.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
moral authority to do it.
What moral authority do you speak of? We are a country of law's not of morals. Who gives moral authority? Ssure as heck it is not the goverment. For you guys always asking for links, do your own research you called the poster wrong prove it.

Bleep

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: privatebreyer

What way was that, lying to the American People to get their support?

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003

And wtf was the "Saddam problem"?
Is this what you were referring to?: If Iraq = Regional Power then US + Israel = jealous
There was no Saddam problem it was US and Israel who had problems.

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: VioletAura

Is this what you were referring to?: If Iraq = Regional Power then US + Israel = jealous

Saddam was not a problem?

privatebreyer

Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

So Clinton was lying about Iraq too?

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: VioletAura

Saddam was not a problem?

No he wasn't. There was no threat the US.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Refresh my memory please, Did Clinton state that Iraqs Stockpiles of WMDs, their Nuclear Weapons Program and ties to Al Qaeda were an imminent threat to the security of America and that the only way to resolve it was a unilateral Invasion and Occupation of Iraq?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Refresh my memory please, Did Clinton state that Iraqs Stockpiles of WMDs, their Nuclear Weapons Program and ties to Al Qaeda were an imminent threat to the security of America and that the only way to resolve it was a unilateral Invasion and Occupation of Iraq?

Refresh my memory please - when did Bush say that there was an "imminent threat"? Oh...that's right - HE DIDN'T!;) And again - our action wasn't "Unilateral"...unless France and Germany are the only things that define "non-unilateral".
rolleye.gif

Yes- Clinton used WMDs as justification for lobbing a couple hundred missiles into Iraq. And yes, Clinton did say that regime change was needed for Iraq.

CkG

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

Refresh my memory please - when did Bush say that there was an "imminent threat"? Oh...that's right - HE DIDN'T!;) And again - our action wasn't "Unilateral"...unless France and Germany are the only things that define "non-unilateral".
rolleye.gif

Yes- Clinton used WMDs as justification for lobbing a couple hundred missiles into Iraq. And yes, Clinton did say that regime change was needed for Iraq.

CkG

...and yes Clinton deliberatly culled intel to support his pov, and Clinton alienated our allies, and Clinton got countries to be part of some sham coalition who would give him a Monica Special if they thought it would get some foreign aid, and Clinton alienated our allies, and Clinton started a war in Iraq, and Clinton has troops over there right now occupying Iraq.

Yeah, Clinton = Bush.

rolleye.gif

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
rolleye.gif

CkG

Apples and oranges, my friend. But more importantly, Bush couldn't say there was an imminent threat because it wasn't true. ;) One less reason to invade Iraq, I guess...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
rolleye.gif

CkG

Apples and oranges, my friend. But more importantly, Bush couldn't say there was an imminent threat because it wasn't true. ;) One less reason to invade Iraq, I guess...

Don't bitch at me - I wasn't the one trying to use Clinton. Red made some charges and I called him on them. Bush didn't say Iraq was an "imminent threat" - which Red implied he did. Also "Unilateral" doesn't mean "without France and Germany".

Clinton did infact used the threat of WMDs and their "danger" for his attacks in 1998. It is NOT apples and oranges - they are apples to apples. I supported both actions because Saddam did not comply with the UN resolutions.;)

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
...and yes Clinton deliberatly culled intel to support his pov, and Clinton alienated our allies, and Clinton got countries to be part of some sham coalition who would give him a Monica Special if they thought it would get some foreign aid, and Clinton alienated our allies, and Clinton started a war in Iraq, and Clinton has troops over there right now occupying Iraq.

Yeah, Clinton = Bush.

rolleye.gif

Did he cull intel? He used WMDs as his reasoning didn't he? Was his intel proven? Was it even followed up upon?
I do believe that Clinton did infact call upon the UK to help...was anyone else even consulted or asked?

You seem to not understand that Clinton's REASONS for his attack were like Bush's REASONS. The "how" is a different matter but the reasoning of "why" is almost exactly the same. As I've had to repeatedly say - what Clinton did does not "excuse" what Bush did and I NEVER SAID IT DID. But for you or anyone else to say Bush made this all up is asinine because the WMD reasoning was used before Bush "made it up". Ofcourse Clinton could have "blown them all up"
rolleye.gif

CkG