OK, Why do people clap after movies?!! This is not a theatrical production people!!

CoolTech

Platinum Member
Jul 10, 2000
OK, Why do people clap after movies?!! This is not a theatrical production people!!

Just got back from watching ROTK and all these people were clapping afterwards, this really erks me, wtf are these people clapping at?!!?

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
If an audience claps in a theater, and no actors are around to hear them, does anybody care?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Every woman in the audience clapped when that one lady took her helmet off and said "I'm not a man!" I guess if I was a female I would have joined them, but it just seemed like a cheesy little filler thing to make every woman in the audience clap. I almost clapped when Gandalf rode out on his horse and shined his light in those dragons eyes and scared them.

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
I only clapped twice at ROTK, I would have more but no one else was. I dunno, how else can you express your satisfaction?

HiTek21

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2002
why do people sit through the credits till the very end in the first place? I may sit through to see the cast credits but thats all.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: speg
I only clapped twice at ROTK, I would have more but no one else was. I dunno, how else can you express your satisfaction?

Do you honestly feel you need to express your satisfaction, or that anyone else in the theatre who are trying to watch the movie give a sh!t and want to hear you expressing?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: HiTek21
why do people sit through the credits till the very end in the first place? I may sit through to see the cast credits but thats all.
As seen with the Matrix Reloaded, those that stayed got an extra showing.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: HiTek21

Special features, and/or they have a fetish for the MPAA logo that's always at the bottom.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Jeez... Some of you guys are so uptight about the most trivial of things.
rolleye.gif

Who cares if people clap? It's just a way of them expressing their appreciation.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Wingznut
rolleye.gif

Who cares if people clap? It's just a way of them expressing their appreciation.

w3rd

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova
Every woman in the audience clapped when that one lady took her helmet off and said "I'm not a man!" I guess if I was a female I would have joined them, but it just seemed like a cheesy little filler thing to make every woman in the audience clap. I almost clapped when Gandalf rode out on his horse and shined his light in those dragons eyes and scared them.

Arrrgh this pissed me off so much... plus there were 4 older ladies (late 50s early 60s) behind us at the theater and they kept yelling "Thats girl power!" after that. My friend almost turned around and threw the ice in his cup at them, they were talking through the whole goddamn movie...

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
rolleye.gif

nicely said

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
rolleye.gif

Agreed. If people clapping in a movie theater gets you this upset, then you have some issues you might want to work through.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I'd also like to know why people do this. I don't get upset by it but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to clap at nothing.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: OREOSpeedwagon
Originally posted by: UglyCassanova

Arrrgh this pissed me off so much... plus there were 4 older ladies (late 50s early 60s) behind us at the theater and they kept yelling "Thats girl power!" after that. My friend almost turned around and threw the ice in his cup at them, they were talking through the whole goddamn movie...

Lol some 40 year old and his wife sat right beside me, and he kept on saying what they were doing for some reason. He only started about 1/2 way through, but god was it annoying. When they were going up the cliff, he said something along the lines on "They are going up the cliff." I could hear my brother who was sitting beside me laughing to himself and trying not to make it noticible. He was figuring out all kind of math problems and everything dealing with the movie, and he had to make sure his wife (and consequently everyone around him) know this. It pissed me off, but he said the most bizarre stuff that it was actually somewhat interesting.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
I'd also like to know why people do this. I don't get upset by it but it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to clap at nothing.
It does make sense... People have a sense of appreciation and they want to show it. (Even if the people responsible aren't around.)

Granted, I don't clap at movies but it doesn't bother me that others do. I actually think it's pretty cool that people feel strongly enough about the movie. (Especially when it's as good as ROTK! :) )

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
When Starwars I came out, as soon as they showed the opening scene, everyone clapped.

yeah when i saw it, people clapped as soon as "lucasfilm" came on. boy were they in for a surprise. let's just say nobody clapped at the end of the movie. ;)

i think clapping is just a way for people to sort of all agree that the movie kicked ass. it's still pretty silly, but i wouldn't say it bothers me.

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
i saw ROTK tonite too and a few ppl clapped. i was like whatever... i can't feel my ass.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: CoolTech

Just got back from watching ROTK and all these people were clapping afterwards, this really erks me, wtf are these people clapping at?!!?

Probably the same reason people cheer while watching football on the sofa at home.

Some of you guys need better things to whine about.