Ok video hardware gurus.....

Puls4r

Banned
Oct 26, 2001
I recently purchased a Visiontek GTS 2 DDR 64 meg video card for $128. BUT..... it looks considerably different from the pictures I've seen on the web. Since I bought the card from a bargain warehouse I'm a little concerned.

Instead of the four sided ram chips I've seen in the standard pictures (which are infineon ram) I have Hyundai ram that has pins on only 2 sides of the chip. That leads me to believe I did NOT get the DDR version. In addition, I keep seeing cards with NV897 as the revision, whereas mine is NV892.

Finally, the CD with drivers is an obvious cd-burner job that is blank on top. So I'm concerned.

Did I just get royally ripped off?

richleader

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Nah, welcome to OEM.

The Geforce 2 only comes with DDR, it was the only the Geforce 1 that had an option to use DDR.

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Actually Rich is technically correct. The MX core is a completely different animal from the regular GTS. No card using the GTS core uses SDRAM to my knowledge, where as with the original GeForce, the only difference between the DDR and SDR version was the memory. The core was the same.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Actually Rich is technically correct. The MX core is a completely different animal from the regular GTS. No card using the GTS core uses SDRAM to my knowledge, where as with the original GeForce, the only difference between the DDR and SDR version was the memory. The core was the same. >>

U'd still say he's technically incorrect. :)
The MX has a different core, true... but it's only a half-way stripped GTS core. It's still part of the GF2 product family.
Afteral, he didnt specify GTS core... he only specified GF2. Of course I am nit-picking :p

richleader

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Well, I was lucky enough to get the Creative GTS the weak it came out for $235 from Buy.com after rebates, so having that, I never considered the MX's to be anything other than glorified TNT2's. :p

geek167

Aug 14, 2001
I think Visiontek has switched to less expensive ram. Especially since they have to compete in pricing with the Geforce2 Ti.