Ok,third shifters check in !!

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
How'd you end up with 3rd shift work? How's your night going, and how long are you stuck there?

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
How'd you end up with 3rd shift work? How's your night going, and how long are you stuck there?

Server/network maintance, downtime is scheduled for 3rd shift, I'm off at 7am and thus far my night totally rocks :)

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: baffled2
I'm here hard at work, and it's soo quiet, who else is at work right now ? :)

I just got out of the shower a while ago and I painted my nails because I have an interview in the morning and I wanted my fingernails to match my red toenails. :D heehee

Have fun, Ms. Jean. :)

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: guyver01
second day at work and they got ya on graveyard? sheesh

It's my third nite and it's actually part pof what I was contracted for.I'm learning more and getting to actually work with network issues instead of clueless end users on the help desk,besides,the night shift extra pay rocks and my co-workers are cool,lol, they're over there still laughing their butts off at some of the stuff they've read here tonight(we're trading our favorite links with each other)

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Longtime 3rd shifter here....and yes...it's very very quiet (visions of Elmer Fud) here. I think I just saw a tumbleweed blow by...

Been working 11pm to 7am for over 10 years now at a local Marriott...

Cool out tonight huh baffled? I love it...these last few days in New England have been great..

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
So what do you guys normally do with server/network maintaince? If everything runs normally do u still have much to do?

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: BCYL
So what do you guys normally do with server/network maintaince? If everything runs normally do u still have much to do?

the usual crap,in our spare time we review network usage stats, generate passcodes for new hires,
and there's always a system or two in need of some sort of work,a monitor that needs replacing or a printer in need of a new toner cartridge. :)

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
I'm here hard at work, and it's soo quiet, who else is at work right now ? :)

I am multitasking: editing, data analysis, posting... but it's only 9:30pm here :)

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000

the usual crap,in our spare time we review network usage stats, generate passcodes for new hires,
and there's always a system or two in need of some sort of work,a monitor that needs replacing or a printer in need of a new toner cartridge. :)

damn... sounds pretty casual and relaxing to me... ;)

Then do you guys need to be on-call if the systems go down?

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

damn... sounds pretty casual and relaxing to me... ;)

Then do you guys need to be on-call if the systems go down?

Yeap,on call is part of the job description, weekend nights are busier, plus this place is big and we frequently clean up unresolved tickets that get dumped down to us from days/evenings so it won't always be relaxing,lol, my orientation partner says the easy night is a plot to lull me into thinking this is a nice place,when I'm in charge he says shiat will hit the fan for me big time :)

Btw,I never realised just how chilly server rooms are !,brrhhhh, I froze :)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I just came in. My roomate is working until 2am now, so that my schedule is a bit more normal. That's cool of him.

It's still wreaking havoc on my body though. Stupid quitting people.

I'm here till noon.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999

Btw,I never realised just how chilly server rooms are !,brrhhhh, I froze :)

They are damn cold, and that's during prime shift. On pager coverage in the middle of the night / morning they are extra cold. Used to have to work out of the server room because there was no more office space NOT in the server room. At least the room had windows (not the most hardened configuration, but, I had an office with a window--more than most folks could say).

Congrats on the new job and hope things stay quiet for ya.

<-- On 3rd shift daddy duty.