Ok so I bought a 100" TV

ShawnReeves

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
You know, those 100" Tv plans from Ebay where you use a magnified lense to project the picture on the wall.
Has anyone else here built and used this crazy setup??? My wife thought I was crazy until I showed her the screen shots.
If you have any tips...LMK!

Heres a Link for the screenshots. 100" TV

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< I heard those things are trash. Then again the lens is probably worth 2 bucks :D >>

Yeah...but look at that shipping though

ShawnReeves

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I figured for about $20 it might be worth trying. Hopefully Im not the only one on this board to ever buy this contraption. lol

If it doesnt work then I just take the lense down to a Nursing home and donate it for better reading. ;)

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
sounds pretty funny
hehehe
wtf
2 bucks for a magnifier or something that outputs to 100" ?
i think not
i think they're actually using a real projector

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
bah i dont' see how it'll work with a tube tv. not sure how it would work with a projection tv anyways, you need more source light then is created by eithe.

ShawnReeves

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Well if you read about the Fresnel Lens and how its works it really makes sense. This is the way old light houses used this method to make a light much brighter! Kinda neat really.

Thanks for the Links T2K...they will really come in handy.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
we have had 2 or 3 of these threads, everyones 100" TV must RoXer so much they never post back about how well spent their $20 to ebay or webshop shysters was

xero940

Banned
Jan 6, 2002
Heh...I actually built one of these things, and I have to say:

It's not a hoax...they actually do what they say they're going to do, and it looks pretty kick-ass in a big room...problem is, the projection does NOTHING to maintain the TV's brightness; as a result, the "100 inch TV" is USELESS without a dark room to use it in...but rest assured, for the time you spend BS'ing making the box, it's so cool playing a DVD in all of it's glory on the "big screen"...it's almost like being at the movies, with none of the smelly fat people :D